Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1996 fleetwood
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a bit of advice on which way to go in regards to a replacement spring/shock set-up on my 1996 Fleetwood.

The rear air shocks were replaced with conventional shocks by the time I bought the car, seems that the previous owner left the extra soft stock springs in place, this is noticable in particular with 5 people and a trunk full of luggage in the car. A bit of a sorry sight with the bumper almost on the pavement.

I have yet to do much pricing but I want to stay away from any air set up, compressor, air-lines, wiring.....all seem scary when one's on a tight budget. So a new set of conventional shocks and a stiffer set of springs is what i'm after. I've read about Impala springs used with Monroe Severe Service shocks, here is an Autoblog article that includes just the thing (on a Roadmaster though) http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/27/autoblog-maintenance-301-part-ii-of-our-front-suspension-steeri/

So does anyone out there have experiance with this set up? From what I can tell
it seems like a good alturnitive for the car, anyone know of any problems that I might be overlooking?

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
'94 FWB; '94 STS
136 Posts
I was just about to bring up the spring issue in the "Pump it Up" thread. I have air-lines, but the stock springs are very soft now. I had my rear shocks replaced about 6 years ago, and I haven't had any leaks. The only thing I wouldn't like about Monroe Severe Service shocks is the inability to adjust the height of the rear. I'm gonna get new springs soon. I don't know if I'd get the Impala springs since they're "shorter" than the stock springs, but the stiffness aspect is appealing.

·
Registered
1996 fleetwood
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The adjustable ride height isn't really super important for me, although it would be nice to have I don't want to fool around with compressor, airlines and the like. The stiffness from the springs is what appeals to me too, the shorter ride height is a bit of a concern, but since the rear sags now as it is it would't be any worse.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,654 Posts
I had a similar situation with my 95FWB.. what did was this.. looked around to see who had the best price on springs... Most places had them for around a $100, then Autozone had a set for around $50...So I got the zones springs and was very happy... They were not weak like the stock springs.. I also put on a new set of Gabrial air shocks, I have had good luck with them... then just run the air line to licence plate area so I can check and fill them when I check the tires...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts