Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined (DUH),

Am looking to but either a 92 STS with some history (lot of miles)
or maybe 95 (great condition but needs motor)!

Wouold like any advice from forum members on these two models?
I can get the 92 @2800.00 good condition (170K) guys done all of the work and maintenance
Also just found a 95 in great shape but steams and smokes (seems to think head gasket) hence new motor for 1800.

New to the caddy world and its a second vehicle but want one dependable??

Please advise if anyone has hints here --how do the 4.9s hold up with lots of miles?

Thanks
Hoss

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Welcome aboard, Hoss! And thanks for signing up.. The 92 has the 4.9 engine so that'll probably last quite awhile. To my knowledge, the Northstars need very good maintenance to last - but it they're maintained, they will...

You can get a new Northstar for $1800? I thought they costed $8000.. I could be wrong...

If you're considering a 95 STS, you may just want to jump up one more year - the 96 has an updated interior.. Either way, the STS has been really, really nice since '92.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sal Collaziano said:
Welcome aboard, Hoss! And thanks for signing up.. The 92 has the 4.9 engine so that'll probably last quite awhile. To my knowledge, the Northstars need very good maintenance to last - but it they're maintained, they will...

You can get a new Northstar for $1800? I thought they costed $8000.. I could be wrong...

If you're considering a 95 STS, you may just want to jump up one more year - the 96 has an updated interior.. Either way, the STS has been really, really nice since '92.
Sal, thanks for the reply,
As far as what I can get the 92 STS has all of the service record for MX.
Not bad I guess for $2800.00
The 95 STS needs a new motor-- thats why he only wants $1800.00 for the car!
Cash dosen't allow a 96 in the wallet-icio

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Welcome, thanks for signing up :wave:

If the 95 needs a new motor, chances are nothing has been maintained....... If it does have a good maintenance record, then you might be able to get it fixed..... It is the headgasket that is the problem, and if no damage was done, then it can be reviltalized.......

If I had to choose, Id take the 92...... FULL service record, that is very rare........ It should last you well into the 200k range before something kicks the bucket..... I say if you get to 220k (50k), youd get your moneys worth out of it..... And then you could part it out here!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MMNineInchNails said:
WELCOME. What state are you located in, hoss?
First, Thanks for the advice Elwesso, I'm probably leaning more toward the 92 as you said, good records are rare.

The 95 is sweet as well but, I'm not hip on the mechanics and don't know any reputable rebuilders in the area..

MMNineInchNails, I'm in Florida, Melbourne to be exact..

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Chances are youd spend more money on the 95 to get it running decently than you would finding one already in good condition........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts