Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont have a lot of time today to post anything but i thought you guys might like to know. Ill post the vids on youtube on sunday if i get some time. The car is at 16psi now. :D

Im almost making as much power as the nitrous was now.

Fuel problems kept us from going past this point. Hopefully fuel issues will be fixed and then we will hit 650 all boost... :D

:bouncy:

·
Registered
cts-v
39 Posts
with that high boost what precations are you taking not to brake something?? also what are you using to change the boost? meter wise?? are you able to dial in a boost at certain times or running it thru out? I think I speak for everyone here saying thanks for the effort in tinkering with the engine:bouncy:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Jesse,

I can't wait til all of your hard work pays off and you can bring a high boost package to market so the rest of us can feel the boost.

I would love to see some ET's from a boosted V with some sticky tires.

Mike C

·
Registered
2011 GTR
1,026 Posts
Was the fuel problem a situation of running out of injector or punp? What was the duty cycle of the injectors out of curiosity.
Can't wait for more info.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
None
143 Posts
Dont have a lot of time today to post anything but i thought you guys might like to know. Ill post the vids on youtube on sunday if i get some time. The car is at 16psi now. :D

Im almost making as much power as the nitrous was now.

Fuel problems kept us from going past this point. Hopefully fuel issues will be fixed and then we will hit 650 all boost... :D

:bouncy:
That's more than a ZR1 puts down :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Injector duty cycle was 118 percent commanded, Meaning way over. However, it is the fuel pump controller that is the holdback. It wont allow higher fuel pressures like the ZR1 controller does.

The Fuel controller commands 3 different fuel pressures depending on its mode. 35, is the lowest, which is idle and some minor driving, Then it goes to 60 at normal and slightly agressive, then it shoots to 65 at wot. However, at wot, it takes a few milliseconds to get to those values. When it does, it overshoots on the injector, causing a massive fuel spike durring the transisition and makes a KR event. You can log the fuel pressure and see that it is the cause.

The pump controller has a duty cycle which is about 30 - 100 % it can command. The fuel pumps are run on Pulse width modulation.

Well when the pressure goes to 65 commanded, the pump controller then tries to modify the duty cycle to maintain that 65 psi fuel pressure. The more it needs to add, the more the duty cycle goes up until it just cant add anymore..

This is why i couldnt go past 570 before on just boost, as the fuel just wasnt there to support the boost. Nitrous a different story as i can run a seperate fuel system to add instead of taxing the stock fuel system.

Well, the ctsv and the Zr1 are using the same exact injector. BUT the zr1 fuel system is asking for 87 PSi at wot!

So, the only fix is to;
1. get rid of the fuel system and start over.
2. Modify the factory fpdm and make it allow a skewed actual psi.
3. Get more power to the pumps without the fpdm knowing...

All options are a pain...

We could have hit over 600 if i wanted to go a little leaner, but 11.8 is just not rich enough for that much boost for road coarse for my blood.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
So at what rwhp do we have to worry about that fuel problem? Iam just thinking if someone adds an intake, headers & tune (~50 rwhp gain), would he still need to fight the same problems that you're having now?

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
Injector duty cycle was 118 percent commanded, Meaning way over. However, it is the fuel pump controller that is the holdback. It wont allow higher fuel pressures like the ZR1 controller does.

The Fuel controller commands 3 different fuel pressures depending on its mode. 35, is the lowest, which is idle and some minor driving, Then it goes to 60 at normal and slightly agressive, then it shoots to 65 at wot. However, at wot, it takes a few milliseconds to get to those values. When it does, it overshoots on the injector, causing a massive fuel spike durring the transisition and makes a KR event. You can log the fuel pressure and see that it is the cause.

The pump controller has a duty cycle which is about 30 - 100 % it can command. The fuel pumps are run on Pulse width modulation.

Well when the pressure goes to 65 commanded, the pump controller then tries to modify the duty cycle to maintain that 65 psi fuel pressure. The more it needs to add, the more the duty cycle goes up until it just cant add anymore..

This is why i couldnt go past 570 before on just boost, as the fuel just wasnt there to support the boost. Nitrous a different story as i can run a seperate fuel system to add instead of taxing the stock fuel system.

Well, the ctsv and the Zr1 are using the same exact injector. BUT the zr1 fuel system is asking for 87 PSi at wot!

So, the only fix is to;
1. get rid of the fuel system and start over.
2. Modify the factory fpdm and make it allow a skewed actual psi.
3. Get more power to the pumps without the fpdm knowing...

All options are a pain...

We could have hit over 600 if i wanted to go a little leaner, but 11.8 is just not rich enough for that much boost for road coarse for my blood.....
This makes good sense. I honestly would have expected A LOT more from 16 psi... :bouncy:

·
Registered
1958 Coupe DeVille
591 Posts
Doesn't that work out to over 700hp at the flywheel? That sounds like a lot to me. A little more and things start to break without forged pistons and rods. At least that has been my experience with a turbo charged engine i once had. Cecil..........

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
Hey Jesse, is this on a manual or auto V ? ( dont remember if i asked that before ) - you guys need to track it and see what she runs

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried to track it yesterday but with the amount of people there for test and tune i only got 2 trys.. Not enough to get used to the launch and i found that my mass air meter housing wasnt tightend like i thought i had, so it ran without the meter on the second run so it shut down on me. The first run spinning like crazy and all over and letting out 4 times, and hitting a limiter in every gear was 12.02 @ 120 with a 2.9 0 - 60 ft... Not too good. But ill be at the track sunday morning ready to try again.. Just got to get the power to the ground.

The limiter was a funny issue. When you shut off your car there is a timed rev limit when you turn it back on. So when you are waiting in the pits, and then go to start at the line, you have a lower rpm limit for up to 80 seconds! That problem is gone. I was wondering why i hit a limit at 6200 each gear.....

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
YEah drag radials 18inch with bfgs.. @ 17.5 psi. This is the stick car.

·
Registered
2011 GTR
1,026 Posts
When you have a moment, I'd like to hear more about these fuel upgrades cause I know the duty cycle should normally not go above 80%. And you were way above that. So you said our cars have same inj. as ZR1... aren't those 60lbs? This is getting fun :)
To answer a previous posters question about headers, tune and intake... you won't be anywhere close to these issues.

Mark

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
all that low end torque will make it very tricky. Have you done any highway rolls w/ the v J ? - I'm sure with the tq it would make a great highway terror

1 - 20 of 31 Posts