Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm summer-izing my 1991 Brougham. She has the 5.7L Chevy engine, and she's running a little hotter than I would like when under load, like climbing a steep grade on a hot day. No coolant temp light coming on or anything, but probably getting up to 210-220 F or so. Not so much of a problem in traffic around town, so I don't think it's a fan clutch or anything. Seems like the radiator flow is a little restricted, because some of the tubes are slimy looking, and some of the fins are rusted or broken.

My question is, I can either get a $100 Spectra Premium, which is all that my local auto parts stores seem to carry, or I was considering a 2-row American Eagle that I found online for just shy of $200. Does anyone have any experience with either of these rads? Or got any good recommendations otherwise?

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
Mr

So, I'm summer-izing my 1991 Brougham. She has the 5.7L Chevy engine, and she's running a little hotter than I would like when under load, like climbing a steep grade on a hot day. No coolant temp light coming on or anything, but probably getting up to 210-220 F or so. Not so much of a problem in traffic around town, so I don't think it's a fan clutch or anything. Seems like the radiator flow is a little restricted, because some of the tubes are slimy looking, and some of the fins are rusted or broken.

My question is, I can either get a $100 Spectra Premium, which is all that my local auto parts stores seem to carry, or I was considering a 2-row American Eagle that I found online for just shy of $200. Does anyone have any experience with either of these rads? Or got any good recommendations otherwise?
Apparently know one has experience with those 2 radiators yet.
Had a new radiator installed recently on my '95 Deville.
Just be sure what ever brand you choose has a good warranty and change your coolant at recommended intervals.
Don`t use any so called "coolant tabs and/or " coolant stop leak" products.
I learned the hard way by using them--they clogged up my heater core--had that flushed and the pressure from the flush opened up leaks in the radiator that the stop leak had
apparently temporarily sealed so I had to get a new radiator.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
There's nothing unusual about those temps under those conditions.
I use 2 coolant tabs in mine when coolant is changed. These cars can get leaks at the intake due to corrosion. They only risk causing blockages if used excessively.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts