Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac Escalade Premium AWD
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving our new purchase, 2014 Escalade Premium AWD, home from the out of state dealer, the A/C dryer would freeze up after about 30 mins of use with the snowflake button depressed. The vents on the dash stopped working and we heard a loud noise from the blower motor. After I pulled over and found the frozen dryer, I switched the snowflake off and the dryer thawed in a few mins and the vents started working again.

Once home, I checked the freon level and it at 35 psi on the low side.

Today while running errands, it froze up on the wife again after 30 mins of use. And again, thawed within a few mins of turned the snowflake off.

Is there anything else I can check, or does it need to go to the shop?

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
239 Posts
To the shop it goes. Low gas will cause the evaporator to freeze up, fan has nowhere to push all the air and runs the motor on high amp load.

Not good for the a/c system or the fan. A low pressure switch should shut the system down and not sure if the fan has a built in internal overload that shuts it off b4 it overheats and kills itself. The new equipment shops have removes the gas and holds it in a vacuum for up to 30 min. If there’s no leaks it refills it and tops it off.

We just had this done on my wife’s Beetle Convertible and it was simply a faulty Schrader valve causing the leak. A big phew for us on that one.

It’s also a good time to install the cabin air filter that our generation vehicles never got for some reason. It’s a 30 min install with a hacksaw blade and a tired arm or worth it to hand off to your a/c shop if they have a air powered zip saw to remove the pre scored area on the area under the p/s foot well.

Order a carbon air filter to run the first time. A lot of good stuff will be loosened and potentially some of it can be removed with a soft brush after the access panel is cut out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac Escalade Premium AWD
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already ordered the retrofit kit.

Yeah, figured that was going to be ticket for this one...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts