Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Seville
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have taken on a 91 Seville that runs like crap to help the guy out. I'm certainly not a certified mech or anything, but I have turned a few wrenches in my day. I have already made some progress on the car, identifying a few problems that I'm sure will help. But I have a couple of questions that I thought you guys might be able to help with.

1. There is a 1/4" black plastic line that runs under the driver side that disappears behind the fuel tank. It has become disconnected at a small rubber hose that connects the two pieces before the tank. I will fix this, no problem. But I would like to know what it is. I remember my old Riviera had similar tubing used for the suspension air lines, and I thought that's what this might be. But when I looked closer at the tubing, it's marked as a fuel line. Any ideas?

2. He has no owners manual. Does anyone have it on a PDF that they would share?

3. I found a vacuum line on the passenger side that was plugged and just hanging down by the belts. According to the chart I found (below) its the line to the Vacuum Canister. I plan on reconnecting it but was curious if this was maybe a common practice for some reason?

VAC.jpg

Thanks for any help you might have.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Welcome to CF !!! :highfive:

The entire GM service manual plus more, for that car, can be had by a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com. Owner's manuals can be found in the downloads in the sticky posts at the top of each forum threads page.

The hose under the car is probably part of the EVAP emissions system, but solenoids, piping and routing vary by model and year.

·
Registered
1991 STS, 1992 Fleetwood, 1987 Maxima wagon
276 Posts
Regarding your #3, the vacuum tank is mounted inside the passenger fender and you'll need to remove the inner fender liner to get to it. Chances are the nipple on the vacuum tank broke off and the line was then plugged. I found my '91 STS in a similar condition...line plugged, checked tank and nipple had broken off.

·
Registered
Seville
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to CF !!! :highfive:

The entire GM service manual plus more, for that car, can be had by a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com. Owner's manuals can be found in the downloads in the sticky posts at the top of each forum threads page.

The hose under the car is probably part of the EVAP emissions system, but solenoids, piping and routing vary by model and year.
Actually, I tried there first for the manual. Apparently the 91 is not available from there. Still hoping someone here can help. :)

----------

Regarding your #3, the vacuum tank is mounted inside the passenger fender and you'll need to remove the inner fender liner to get to it. Chances are the nipple on the vacuum tank broke off and the line was then plugged. I found my '91 STS in a similar condition...line plugged, checked tank and nipple had broken off.
This. :)

I got the canister pulled today and the nipple is in fact broken. :( Don't know how to fix that except to replace the canister. yay

·
Registered
Seville
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, next question.

But first, thanks a lot for the info so far.

There's a rod on the front Pass side that is missing both bushings. I would like to order new bushings but I'm having trouble identifying the correct ones since I don't know what to call the rod. I'm pretty sure it's the one in the image below.

FR ROD.jpg

·
Registered
Seville
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ranger, yes and no. Nalley shows two different parts (Front and Back), while others show them as identical bushings.

Drew, this is what Rockauto is showing with two identical bushings. But they seem to be the only ones that call it a strut rod and they don't have a diagram.

So I think for the sake of time and money I will order the Rockauto parts and see what happens. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
As far as I know, all of the aftermarkets are calling them strut rod bushings. In any case, if that's what you ordered, you will be getting what you are looking for.

·
Registered
Seville
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did find a way to fix the vacuum canister. I drilled out the broken nipple and screwed in a threaded barbed fitting.

Just sayin'.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Good ole Yankee ingenuity. Where there is a will, there is a way.

·
Registered
Seville
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spent some more time on it today, cleaning up some wiring and installing new plugs and wires. It ran a little better, a little (still no codes). The idle was a bit high and seeking between 900 and 1200. You could see the idle control working overtime. I checked for vac leaks but found none. I pulled the cap and rotor (wish I had done that earlier), looks like they haven't been changed for 120,000 miles. So I cleaned all the contacts and reinstalled it for a test. Ran even better still, idle settled 650-750 (new cap and rotor are on the way). But I'm still thinking there is something more going on. It just feels strange, like a miss. But the throttle response is actually quite good. I want to take it for a spin but it's up in the air until I get the new bushings installed. Any constructive comments?

Also, I found this green connector down below the wiper fluid tank. Any idea what this should connect to?

Green.jpg

·
Registered
Seville
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok then, got back to it today. I'm fairly sure I'm looking at an injector problem but I wanted to run it by you guys to be sure I'm doing this right.

First, I did an Ohms check on all 8 injectors. I pulled the harness plug apart and checked across opposing pins. My spec sheet says 14-18 Ohms is normal. There were only 3 within that range. The others were in the 3 Ohm range. Except for one, it read 0. To me this indicates its time to replace all 8. Or, is it just the one reading 0 that "needs" to be replaced?

Second, I went to pull the strut bar to replace the bushings and it seems the back end of the rod is riveted to the control arm? How is one supposed to remove it to replace the bushing on the front side?

·
Registered
Triple Yellow 88 Biarritz, 92 Allante, 05 STS
103 Posts
Second replacing all fuel injectors, I have done this on more than one Cadillac in the past with similar readings as yours. I got a set from fuel injector connection for my Cadillac and Camaro, night and day difference. Also, check your EGR tubes in the throttle body, those may be partially or fully clogged, use metal coat hanger and some seaform spray cleaner and to rod them out and clean the throttle body.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts