Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sheesh...it never ends. Went to start my car today and it was tough to get it going. When it did start, the tachometer was dead and the SES light was on. Ran the codes and came up with P1350 Ignition Control Module. The car won't hold a steady idle either. Anyone else ever have this turn up, if so was replacing the ignition control module the fix? I was wondering if maybe the camshaft position sensor could be the culprit.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
nah
camshaft usually stalls out at random then wont start so ive herd.
your codes have told you what i believe it to be

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was the crank sensors that caused the car to die. I hope it's not the ignition module...I bet that sucker is spendy.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
You are correct about the CKP sensors. Not sure if a cam shaft sensor will do that or not, but if it failed, it should set a DTC.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm...guess that isn't the problem then. I got lucky and just won an ignition module on eBay for $57. I am thinking about swinging by the stealer for a "professional" diagnosis if they can squeeze me in without an appointment.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn. Got the ignition module today and swapped it out, but no change. Still hard to start with the dead tach and the same 1350 and 1375 codes. I'm back to wondering if it could be the camshaft position sensor. That is the only thing that I can find in the FSM that sends a signal that is used for the tach. I guess it could be the PCM.

·
Super Moderator
86,973 Posts
I don't know Charles. I'm lost. You need Ewill or one of the other techs.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, hopefully one of them will chime in. Thanks, Larry.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
According to the diagnostic, a crank sensor can cause the 1350 code. You didn't mention the 1375 initially, was that created while you were working on it? A missing crank sensor signal will cause an extended crank with an S.E.S. light, but it should start and then run ok. The next step I would take is to pin test all related terminals and inspect wiring from the PCM to the ICM to CKP sensors, including a resistance check of the sensors from the ICM connector C1.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just read in the FSM that the tach signal comes from the crank sensor. So, I ran back to the computer to report my findings but cadillac tech beat me to it :D Sorry, the 1375 was present all along. I will get under the car tomorrow and check the connectors to the crank sensors first...maybe I'll get lucky. So, it can be either of the two that is causing the problem, correct?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The plugs were connected, so I guess I'll get a multimeter and start checking things out. Adult Kids...I had a nice multimeter that is now "missing".

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Son of a....well, I got a multimeter and started checking things out. My crack diagnostic skills let me to my local dealer to purchase a crank sensor. Got home, installed it and...1350 and 1375!!! Re-ran the tests and finally realized that the yellow wire is broken internally at the C1 connector to the ICM. Could hook up the meter, wiggle the wire and watch the connection come and go. Called my buddy that has the proper tools and skills to repair the terminal and wire but he wasn't home.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay got the wire repaired by my friend today and the issue is gone!

·
Super Moderator
86,973 Posts
OK, now for the $64,000 question. How did the wire get broken internally?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exactly what my friend and I were wondering, Larry. That IS the $64,000 question. I sold the car last night since it was running again (for the most part). A guy here bought it and he has a friend that works out of his garage that is going to repair the head bolts/gaskets for around $800 plus parts. I am hunting for a '91 Eldo or Seville.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts