Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new and not rebuilt Steering box. Does anyone know where one might be able to find a brand new Steering box to a 1993 Fleetwood?

Anyone with experience from rebuilt ones? As good as new?

·
Registered
95 triple black fwb
890 Posts
I can get new gm boxes but they are $$$$$

are you replacing the box due to leaking?
if so look at the top of the box where the two hoses go into it
the leak is most likely at the hose fitting
I have seen numerous misdiagnosed "bad steering box"
on the 93-96's , when it leaks at the hose fitting it runs down the side of the box, and off the pitman arm, making it appear to be coming from the pitman seal, even had a cadillac dealer tell me I needed one,
then after my own inspection, I found the j tube low presure line was leaking
it cost me $6 to fix, if your problem is a leak, inspect the top of the box,
Ill bet its a line~~~~~Jim

·
Registered
95 triple black fwb
890 Posts
I can get new gm boxes but they are $$$$$

are you replacing the box due to leaking?
if so look at the top of the box where the two hoses go into it
the leak is most likely at the hose fitting
I have seen numerous misdiagnosed "bad steering box"
on the 93-96's , when it leaks at the hose fitting it runs down the side of the box, and off the pitman arm, making it appear to be coming from the pitman seal, even had a cadillac dealer tell me I needed one,
then after my own inspection, I found the j tube low presure line was leaking
it cost me $6 to fix, if your problem is a leak, inspect the top of the box,
Ill bet its a line~~~~~Jim

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Actually Im replacing it because it has so much play in it. And its impossible to make adjustments on it it seems with the abs-wires in the way, I see to be the only one otherwise that is capable of adjusting these boxes since here in Sweden no mechanic knows anything about these old american cars, they're more used to Opels and VWs. I spoke to a mechanic and he wants 700 dollars to replace it plus the box and wires. If I can get the a new box with wires from the US at 200-300 dollars then Ill take it. But a GM parts guy in the US told me today that GM does not make new ones, they are all remanufactured.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
If you just need to adjust it, why not adjust it when you have it out? Nothing like new though. You may have better luck searching caprice/impala parts but the steering ratio will be different.

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah you're probably right. I just placed an order for a rebuilt Cardone steering box with hoses.

A-1 CARDONE 277547 (27-7547) Steering Gear (8708.94.9100) $ 145.79

ACDELCO 36362790 (36-362790) Power Steering Return Hose (4009.41.0000) $ 12.64

ACDELCO 36360200 (36-360200) Power Steering Pressure Hose (4009.41.0000) $ 35.99
Shipping Location 1 International Priority $ 141.01
Shipping Location 2 International Priority $ 101.99

Order Total $ 437.42

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So now the "new" rebuild Cardone steering gear has been installed in the car. The steering is stiff as hell. Worse than my 1989 Mercedes. Not exactly the Cadillac Fleetwood experience anymore.

Does anybody else have experience with rebuilds beeing stiff? Does this ware off after a couple of miles or is this permanent, if it is, boy what a disappointment!

Richard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts