Registered
'04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
Thats pretty cool but I think I would try and build something out of sheet metal before I dropped 300 bucks on these.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts
nice find but too expensive....I should have my sheetmetal guys fab me something up lol

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the price was a little steep as well, but figured somebody around here might be able to whip something up on there own. If you do, hook me up. :)

·
Registered
05 Cadillac CTS-V
346 Posts
AMS also makes a simular kit for the EVO 8/9 thats SCCA approved. Its a bit pricey and most people resort to home depot racing when it comes to stuff like this.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
935 Posts
this would be nice if someone could start producing them here

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V 457ci LS7
50 Posts
I'm in the process of modifying some C5 Z06 spindle plates like these to work with my V.

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1752

I've got the passenger side done last night.

Modding plate itself was a piece of cake. The ones I got have the bolt holes in the wrong places but that was an easy fix.

I used 3.5 inch hose from the stock bumper duct.

The PROBLEM is the clearance for the hose inside the wheel well. I ran the hose where I thought it would be totally out of the way of the tires and no dice. On full left lock the tire rubs the hose and destroyed it. :nono:

Come to find out that the hose is pretty much going to have to come straight at the plate in order to not rub at all from lock to lock.

I'll pull the wheel off later this afternoon and take a picture to show you what I'm taking about.

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,718 Posts
You'll have to flexible ducting and might want to go down in size as some run wider tires so much that you have the duct under the frame rail. It will help to keep the calipers from turn gold for those hard brakers. :)

Norm

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V 457ci LS7
50 Posts
I've attached 2 pics... first one is after the initial install... the one that got buggered after testing lock to lock.

The 2nd is my current install with the ducting zip-tied to the anti-sway bar.

After the first try I looked at it again and figured a way to get the hose even more directly straighter onto the spindle duct. Not for the faint of heart as it requires some dremel work cutting some things out of the way that aren't REALLY needed. Also it helps to coerce the tube into more of a flat form to help clear the wheel. Frankly, it’s a thing of beauty.

The thing is… at FULL lock the wheel WILL still rub.

Then I started thinking… how often does a car really go to full lock? Never… except if you’re doing it on purpose. A track/race car will NEVER EVER do it on the track. I brought the wheel lock to lock and am convinced that there is NO possible way I could get it to work without rubbing. So I left it as is. If in the course of regular driving it starts rubbing through the hose on either side I’ll just pull the hose and put it back in before track days. Or I’ll put a smaller hose… 2 or 2.5 inch vs the 3.5 inch I’ve got on there now.

Now the cool part.

I took the V down an empty back road and did some aggressive stops… 60-0, 80-0, couple of emergency stops to really get them hot. Even rode the brakes all the way down through the neighborhood back to my house.

The “unducted” driver’s side was at around 380-400 degrees on the rotor (I’ve got a little infrared BBQ thermometer)… the ducted passenger side was a full 60-100 degrees cooler on the rotor. I did the entire test twice with the same results.

That’s huge imo.

Even if I have to run the duct hose the morning of a track day I think that’s totally worth it.

I’ll probably just leave the driver’s side undone for a while to see how badly normal driving tears up the hose on the passenger side. If it looks like it’s gonna tear it up too badly I might just get some cheap dryer hose from Home Depot and only run it for the track.

I really don't know if I see a way to have a permanently installed solution that will not rub in full lock to lock driving without running a tiny hose directly up the hub. I'll keep an eye on this over the next few weeks and see how it does.

Again, even if the hose rubs on "extreme" daily driving (i.e. pulling into a parking space) it would be worth running on the track since I'm sure it would be fine on track-type driving where the wheels aren't even close to lock.

Attachments

·
Banned
05 CTS-V
889 Posts
looks great! now i want to see how it mounts to the spindle!

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V 457ci LS7
50 Posts
You mean how the ducting is attached to the spindle plate or the spindle plate attaches to the hub?

The ducting to the spindle is easy peasy with 3.5 inch hose clamps... 2 on the brake duct inlet and 1 at the spindle.

If you mean the OTHER part (spindle plate to hub).... sigh.... maybe I'll run the driver's side tomorrow after all and take pics along the way.

Just remember... this is a work in progress. I fully expect the tires to destroy the hose over the next 2-3 weeks of driving. I'm really curious how the Corvette DRM kits work... there's simply got to be a lot more room in the front wheel wells on the luxury sports coupe Vettes versus the race car sports sedan CTS-V.

Although honestly, with the wheel at lock on my V even the top control arm (not sure if that's technically the correct part... the upper aluminum arm thingy) was rubbing... and that should be a stock part. I don't know how anyone runs larger than a 245/45 up front.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V 457ci LS7
50 Posts
Probably isn't going to happen today. Needed to appease the wife so I spent the whole day in the 100 degree Atlanta heat working on getting the house prepped for painting.

As much as I'd like to I don't have any energy left to work on the V.

It'll probably be next weekend before I'll be able to get back around to it, but if I can I might try to squeeze it in an evening this week.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V 457ci LS7
50 Posts
As promised I'm working on a thread based on my driver's side ducting that I just did. It'll be up in 15-20 min with pics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts