Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
With a base price of around $30k? Is that for the V6 model? If so then no it's not that great. Either way I can't honestly say I'm really impressed regardless. Instead of having GM come up with a new American car they just give us another Aussie vehicle. I'll take a CTS-V over it because at least it's a true American car

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
It's not a bad car at all and has nice looks (although a little too much like a bmw). The let down for me is 360. An even 400 would have got me in the showroom, although I have plans for a 2008 Corvette.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Will be in the high 20's for a 3.6L V6 model (a FANTASTIC engine, and will sell in the biggest numbers) and then low to mid 30's with the V8.

Aussie or not, this is a world-class platform and all of the cars on it are superb (hence, why it's even being brought here), and should do well--even though the GTO was a mess because of pricing and absolutely no marketing.

And compared to a CTS-V, at least the last gen, this is also head and shoulders above that thing in terms of refinement and quality...newer design, yes, but also thought out and conceived as a V6/V8 sports sedan from the start, and more thoroughly done.

There's a lot of people waiting for the G8, but we'll still just have to wait and see how it really does. Same for the Camaro, with again the same guts under the skin, and which will be out afterwards--it's been tested and such in Australia in the meantime.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I think its an awesome looking sport/family sedan car :)

Finally Pontiac is really starting to be what they should have for a long time.
Slowly, as they're still one GM brand "struggling" to sort out and get to what they need to be. The smaller G5 is a re-stickerfied Cobalt, meant to appease dealers who desperately needed something to fill in for all the Sunfire sales they were missing. The G6 mid-size sedan certainly didn't start out well, and the looks are a mish-mash, as are parts of the performance--but that's a car from the split between old and new GM. Then you have the 90's style Grand Prix, which will finally be dead soon. Followed by the rebadged Chevy Equinox, the Torrent, also which isn't terrible, but isn't Pontiac.

And finally, the Solstice, which is a fantastic little car, still needing improvements, but very much were Pontiac is TRYING to be. The BMW of GM is the goal, with very expressive styling, sophisticated drivetrains, and high performance through and through.

The G8 is a great jump start to that, and hopefully will do very well, finally giving them a sedan that--maybe while not the MOST expressive in looks (can be a good thing)--gives Pontiac a sedan that is off of the subpar rental-grade old FWD chassis, stays away from the rubbermaid look inside and out, and just actually has real performance.

We shall see...
----------------------

Buick is the other GM brand trying to find it's way to success, but is doing a better job of it even with only the Enclave--which is such a resoundingly fantastic and acclaimed vehicle, and sells SO well, that it alone is about supporting the entire brand right now. The Lacrosse will finally be replaced before long, and the Lucerne will transform into something more stylistically and dynamically impressive, and there still might even be another flagship sedan added in. Another one of those, "we shall see".

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
I saw it in person at the Chicago auto show, beautiful vehicle.

Looks like they will be pricing it similar to the GTO. The one thing it has over the Charger R/T is the availability of a manual transmission.

I am sure you can get some easy hp out of the motor too, they are pretty restricted from the factory.

It will be out just in the time I will be shopping for my next car, have to add another potential to the list :thumbsup:

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
I saw it in person at the Chicago auto show, beautiful vehicle.

Looks like they will be pricing it similar to the GTO. The one thing it has over the Charger R/T is the availability of a manual transmission.

I am sure you can get some easy hp out of the motor too, they are pretty restricted from the factory.

It will be out just in the time I will be shopping for my next car, have to add another potential to the list :thumbsup:
It's getting an LS2, right? If so, I agree, a lot of easy hp.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Same here, and it's upon my list as well. I loved the GTO even when it seemed like no one did, and this is a current interpretation of a similar theme, but in sedan form, and with more option and equipment choices.

Charger R/T does seem like it will be one of the biggest competitors, with the G8 having the unique choice of a stick.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
I thought it was the L76 6.0 liter going in there? That is a variant of the vortec motors?

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
L26.

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
Regardless of what it is, the only reason GM still uses Vortec is for the name. All of these motors are LSx based. Kind of like the Hemi, good marketing.
As we all know the LSX is probablly the best push rod small block ever.

At anyrate the G8 sure looks sharps and 400 HP will be easy to come by starting with a 6.0.
Most LSx parts will work with it. That means heads, Cams and various other goodies that have been around for awhile now.
I will be curious to see one as that is my next car. I would love to have a V but I just can't justify shelling out the cash for a last gen V when a used one is going to cost me as much as a new G8 which is by all accounts built on a platform just as good with a similar drivetrain and better rearend.

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
Betcha there will be gxp with the firebreathing 400+ hp engine
Man I hope you are right. I don't think the WS6 is going anywhere, but it might for a 400+ hp G8.
I mean the WS6 has a lot of life left in it at 8 years old with 42,000 miles on it. I wan't to keep it and was looking at a new Camaro, but can't justify a
WS6 and a Z28 with a kid and possibly another one coming.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts