Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to get new pads and rotors and unfortunately dont know exactly what im looking for. Wondering if anyone has any insight on a good site to get them from. I have heard that ceramic pads offer decent grip without creating too much brake dust. What are some good brands and characteristics to look for in a good / long lasting budget pad and rotor setup.

This is going onto an '03 3.2L Sport-Lux with 17" wheels, currently with stock calipers and brake setup.

Rear probably doesnt need replacing right now, so just the front will do.

Any info is appreciated, thanks! :)

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
The Tire Rack does sell Hawk Ceramic Pads. I highly recommend them. If you're not into looks the OEM Rotors from GMPD is a good economical bet. If you think you're ready for quality cross drilled slotted crro treated rotors, Pietro Raimondi at Cadillac MotorSports offer what I have.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
RobertCTS said:
The Tire Rack does sell Hawk Ceramic Pads. I highly recommend them. If you're not into looks the OEM Rotors from GMPD is a good economical bet. If you think you're ready for quality cross drilled slotted crro treated rotors, Pietro Raimondi at Cadillac MotorSports offer what I have.
know of a website where i can find these? what is the price?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i know we've distinctly talked about this before, but what did you end up spotting for the set of rotors? they are sexy and i want them. think he might be interested in a group buy if we can get some members to go in?

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
TripleOught said:
i know we've distinctly talked about this before, but what did you end up spotting for the set of rotors? they are sexy and i want them. think he might be interested in a group buy if we can get some members to go in?
I'll send Pete an e-mail and ask.
PJ also bought a set off of Pete and has been pleased.
I post what Pete has to say.

Bob

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TripleOught said:
if so... im in on a group buy to save some ca$h for a poor college student.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
collapsed said:
if so... im in on a group buy to save some ca$h for a poor college student.
A poor college student might not be able to afford these even with a group purchase buy. Because of the craftsmanship these will be very costly.

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
tomm said:
A poor college student might not be able to afford these even with a group purchase buy. Because of the craftsmanship these will be very costly.
Yep, don't be confused by the cheap $179 Chinese rotors on Ebay. They are absolute junk. I know Pete's rotors are $600+. But compared to the Big Brake Kits you see some of the V guys and few of the CTS guys install at over $2000,
It begins to sound [email protected] $600+

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
600 plus for the fronts only, right? what about the rears?

and...how much were them there calipers?

aaaaand, one more thing...with the ceramic pads do you feel much of a difference on the break pedal? i've been told that it's a longer, somewhat harder feel because of the difference in composite. how do you feel about that one, big guy?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
RobertCTS said:
PJ also bought a set off of Pete and has been pleased.
True! And yes, I've been very pleased...If you are shopping around for cermaic pads, www.buybrakes.com has Hawk Ceramic pads for the CTS at $61 for rear set and $78 for front.

·
Banned
394 Posts
i bought 4 slotted and drilled rotors from Ebay for $200. I had it on for over 20K miles with no problems. I pull off the wheels once a month to check on these rotors...so far so good. I dont see any lost in braking distance from the stock one. I drive pretty hard in traffic every day to work.

I do not beleive paying Pete that much money.

I also got Hawk ceramic pads for all fours. If i would do it again, I would stick with factory pads from Autozone. The brake dust is still the same for me with the Hawk setup. It actually squeil more than the non-ceramic. So i got tired of the brake noise and swap the factory back on.

But the rotors look goods

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
wratran said:
i bought 4 slotted and drilled rotors from Ebay for $200. I had it on for over 20K miles with no problems. I pull off the wheels once a month to check on these rotors...so far so good. I dont see any lost in braking distance from the stock one. I drive pretty hard in traffic every day to work. do not beleive paying Pete that much money.
I also got Hawk ceramic pads for all fours. If i would do it again, I would stick with factory pads from Autozone. The brake dust is still the same for me with the Hawk setup. It actually squeil more than the non-ceramic. So i got tired of the brake noise and swap the factory back on.
But the rotors look goods
Absolutely no squealing from my brakes and no dust. It must be your budget rotors.:D There is a difference.:yup:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
dude. 1 thing i can't stand is squeeky brakes. while braking, driving, turning, ANYTHING. if the shit squeeks it goes back. for 800 bucks i would hope nothing would make any noise.

robert, how is the break dust? with ceramic do you get much less? sometimes i'm a little aggressive and i find myself cleaning the wheels like once a week...

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
TripleOught said:
dude. 1 thing i can't stand is squeeky brakes. while braking, driving, turning, ANYTHING. if the shit squeeks it goes back. for 800 bucks i would hope nothing would make any noise.

robert, how is the break dust? with ceramic do you get much less? sometimes i'm a little aggressive and i find myself cleaning the wheels like once a week...
Here's some info:

Enlarge Photo

Hawk Performance introduces a unique ceramic composite formulation specifically developed to meet the ultra-low dust and low noise attributes of Original Equipment ceramic brake pads while maintaining the high friction levels professional brake tuners have grown to expect from Hawk Performance. Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads do not compromise performance and offer a solution to many consumers' number one complaint: DUST! Performance Ceramic Brake Pads also feature a fade resistant, linear friction profile that allows your ABS brake system to work more effectively.

Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads — Quiet, Clean, Safe and Fast Stopping.

Key Features & Benefits of Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads

• Ultra-low dust
  • Improved braking over OE
  • Stable friction output
  • Extremely quiet
  • Extended pad life
  • Increased rotor life
Brake pads are wear items and as such, should be inspected regularly and replaced as necessary. Pads should be replaced when approximately 1/8th inch of friction material remains on the steel backing plate.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
10 Participants
wratran