Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac Escalade Premium AWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Purchased a 2014 Escalade Premium AWD for the wife to use as our family car to replace the Honda Pilot that got caught in a flash flood a week ago.

I have two other LS based camaros in the garage so far, so I have some common ground with the engine.

Getting ready to change all the fluids to ensure I am starting fresh. Planning to use valvoline maxlife full synthetic 5w30 for the engine, 75w30 for the diffs. I was planning to use valvoline transfer case fluid, but after checking the owners manual, it specifically says to use dextron VI atf. Is that was you all are using?

I have found a few issues with it now that we have had it for a few days. Will post separate threads about those issues.

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
235 Posts
Congrats and sorry the Honda drowning. That’s a happy wife for a happy life. I’ve never been able to find out who makes the fluids for specific vehicle manufacturers.

I’ve been religious about using nothing but factory oem fluids in everything except the motor. It’s rewarded me with zero failures on every driveline components I’ve owned since I was 16. Insert knock on wood here.

I did the full blown 100k service on our AWD 08 Denali in ‘14 at the dealer. It was purchased at 96K from a Mopar dealer a few months before. The dealer service was just under $1k but allowed it to run flawlessly to 141k miles and sell seven years later this February for $11.5k or $8K less than we paid for it.

My assumption is the factory has to tweak their formulations for their specs based on known failures and proven success rates of the driveline components. My only other recommendation is to run the recommend weight and frequently changes in the motor. The AFM / cylinder deactivation is susceptible to missed oil changes and contamination killing off AFM components.

Unfortunately dead AFM components like to kill off other vital engine components. My recommendation is go to an Indy tech you trust enough to purchase the actual factory fluids and NOT the knock off brands. At least use known brands that “meet or exceed the factory specs”.

If it works, don’t fix it with products that promote performance enhancements. Oh man, driveline replacement sucks on these vehicles when you’re the one that changes what was already working fine and has the reputation to go 200-300k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
594 Posts
@petethepug Mobil 1 is the reccomended fluid by the factory so agree with you on that one.

AFM disable is the best upgrade I made on the truck. You can either get an OBD module that sits in the port for around $200 or go the programmer route for $400. The beauty of that is more power, change shift points, and you don't need to leave it plugged into the port all the time.

I went with the Diablosport i3. Love it. Really woke the truck up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV Premium
34 Posts
@petethepug Mobil 1 is the reccomended fluid by the factory so agree with you on that one.

AFM disable is the best upgrade I made on the truck. You can either get an OBD module that sits in the port for around $200 or go the programmer route for $400. The beauty of that is more power, change shift points, and you don't need to leave it plugged into the port all the time.

I went with the Diablosport i3. Love it. Really woke the truck up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Did you go with the preinstalled tunes or a custom tune by Lew?

If you went the preinstalled route, I would consider the custom tune by Lew. I believe it is $150 for a tune that is made to your exact vehicle. It opens all parameters of your vehicle, more that what is already installed on the i3. I have the i2 version.

Now if you want a more responsive pedal, go with the Pedal Commander with Bluetooth. That way you can hide the main unit and access the settings via an app on your phone.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac Escalade Premium AWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan to do most of the fluid changes myself.

Not sure on the trans, as that seems weird with no drain/fill plugs. And I am planning a trip to the dealer for a brake and power steering flush anyway. Will see.

The wife has the truck for a year or two before we buy her something else, so until she gets another DD, I am not allowed to modify it. My long term plans are to add a supercharger, upgrade front and rear sway bars and lower it 1-2 inches (nothing too crazy).

Tony

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
235 Posts
Funny, in a way my wife’s Denali ended up being mine. She wanted a convertible bug for years and a car that not suitable for a Mom to tote kids around as part of her own independence and right to pick what she wanted.

When she got her 1st degree, I sourced a preowned 07 triple white Beetle Vert from a VW dealer @ 80k mi. It’s been the most reliable car we’ve ever owned (knock on wood again). The 08 AWD Denali XL became my daily.

For absolutely no good reason except Pre Covid arriving in Feb and a massive surge in the 07-14 GM SUV sales here in Cali for nutso money, I shopped for what I really wanted, an 09 Platinum Esky ESV. Wifey didn’t care and skeptical I’d find one for under $20k local.

Surprisingly, she was OK with me picking up a perfect match for what I wanted in TX for $14k @ 130k miles. Our vaca plans were blown by covid had free air and hotel from miles cards got me to TX for free.

Now that the Platinum is here, she wants it back because of the softer leather, cooled seats and other Platinum blingy stuff the Yukon lacked.

Wifey got her Masters almost 2 years ago after the AA degree, now she wants a Porsche. He he, looks like the bug is going to the 16 year old daughter soon. Porsche on the Horizon, or at least on my list somewhere as a surprise.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
235 Posts
964 or 996. When the smokin hot deal comes along I’ll know which one’s right. Prolly start looking after tax time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts