Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'04 CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just a new owner/member here, popping in with a hello. Bought an '04 CTS 3.6L last week, Pearl White w/XM and Nav, 44k miles. Traded in an '03 Murano SL AWD w/Nav that I originally bought new.

Love the CTS.. it was about the only car I could buy for the price that matched the comfort of the Murano's ride. I have the rattles coming from the front, and would love to find out how to get rid of them. Not during turns, but over bumpy roads.

I've also been watching the aftermarket bluetooth threads closely, looking for some solid guidance. I nearly bought the Parrot MK6100, but even the most fervent supporters appear to eventually have become dissatisfied with the unit. I have a Blackberry Bold, so I only need one solution for bluetooth, so long as it also supports the A2DP stereo streaming profile, and injects audio ahead of the amp, similar to the excellent DIY Parrot install thread posted previously.

I converted the Nav in the Murano to also be a tv with aux video inputs with a kit from AVelectronic and it served me well for years. I would love to learn about options for doing the same in the CTS, but the bluetooth is currently priority. I don't mind cutting delicate wires with good instructions. I work for IBM, and I'm a ham radio op, so I'm pretty techie.

Seems like a great bunch here, and I'm looking forward to participating for the next few years.

·
Registered
Cadillac
630 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
don't know about the bluetooth or the nav, but that noise is most likely the strut mount.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,819 Posts
Or could be the sway bar link. In my past and current gm cars, that rattel has always been the sway bar link. Good thing is, you can buy them at an auto parts store for less than $50 and replace them yourself. Better to do that just to see if it's that than to go straight for the strut mount first. Replacing the sway bar is very easy, take the front tires off then the sway bar link is right there.

KOT

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Wait, stop right there...there are rules in this forum...pics are required lol
Welcome and gl with the mods, I've got a 03 white cts and love it.
I don't know if you can mod the factory nav to have inputs but I have heard the euro version came factory with tv and inputs

·
Registered
'04 CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks for the tip about the sway bar. I have a couple of buds who could help me with that. As for pics... one on the lot and one at home, with my wife's Sonata. Check out my videos on YouTube as EasternPA2 for how crappy the tv signal became after preparing it for the DTV conversion (oh and a couple of space shuttle launches).

If you think about it, any screen with red, white, and yellow RCA inputs can serve as a DTV-ready tv now! This screen isn't hidden very well from cars behind me, though.. it was much better hidden in the Murano.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Hmmm wive's car is a sonata. Do I hear a pen on a piece of paper and a knock on the door from a shierif?

Of course I'm just joking, I just hear the dog house.

KOT

·
Registered
'04 CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm wive's car is a sonata. Do I hear a pen on a piece of paper and a knock on the door from a shierif? Of course I'm just joking, I just hear the dog house. KOT
Do they have a GIF for something going over my head? :) Not sure whose getting the ticket in your scenario, but I drive both cars, and she drives hers!!!

While I'm here, I wanted to share with you guys my travelogue from a trip my wife and I took across the country in the Murano the CTS just replaced. We saw a tornado on the second day of driving! I can't believe this weekend marks the 5th anniversary already. Seems like yesterday.

Enjoy!

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2141

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I'm just joking about how you drive the better car and she doesn't. I remember when I had a grand prix and my ex had the grand am. Both the same year, 2004. But now I still have the grand am, because it's in my name. And we're not together, I got rid of the grand prix and got my cts. She is now jelious, oh well.

KOT

PS congrats on your 5th year married

·
Registered
'04 CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, got it, now! Thanks for the congrats, but the anniversary is of our cross country drive, however -- sorry I wasn't clear about that. Been married 12 1/2 years!

I also wanted to post the thread where I documented my tv kit install in the Murano so I can show you guys what I would eventually like to do in the CTS. My main goal isn't so much to have tv itself, but I would really like to do a "carputer" project at some point, especially now that the Android OS has come along. We'll see. Like I said at first, bluetooth integration is priority 1 right now.

http://nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1512&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
:welcome: :wavehi:

:wavehi: :welcome: :wavehi:

:welcome: :wavehi: :welcome:

:wavehi:

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
welcome to the forums

as the author of the DIY parrot mk6100 kit, I can tell you that the sound quality is superb. It is a little frustrating because of the dropped audio and popping, but rebooting your phone clears that up for at least the remainder of your drive. and it is the easiest solution, short of replacing the head unit. I actually just bought a new 8gb microsd for my phone. I cannot believe how cheap they are now.

·
Registered
'04 CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as the author of the DIY parrot mk6100 kit, I can tell you that the sound quality is superb. It is a little frustrating because of the dropped audio and popping, but rebooting your phone clears that up for at least the remainder of your drive. and it is the easiest solution, short of replacing the head unit. I actually just bought a new 8gb microsd for my phone. I cannot believe how cheap they are now.
Hey Jimmy, thanks for the welcome, and thanks very much for your comment.. and your excellent DIY howto, one of the best I've seen in years. However, based on negative comments that I've read not only here, but on Amazon as well, I decided to bail on the 6100 and ordered the BlueSTAR this morning. I also couldn't bring myself to mounting the requisite screen, remote and mic -- just too much stuff in the cabin right out of the box. The BlueSTAR is just so plug and play and so clean.

I'm willing to wait for a less "disputed" solution for the music side, and I was waffling on whether to run a hybrid solution with static content on an iPod in the trunk and dynamic content like podcasts on my phone, or wait even longer for a single solution that just doesn't have any caveats. If something comes along that blows me away and OnStar becomes worth its cost, the modular (and reversible) nature of the BlueSTAR will allow me to yank it, and probably recoup half its cost on Craigslist.

Thanks again for your welcome, and your comments.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
no prob. I am not entirely happy with the MK6100 either, but I am content with it for now. The other great thing about the MK6100 that has prevented me from pulling it out of the car, is the really excellent feature that allows you to pair a bluetooth headset in addition to the phone.

The speakerphone works wonderful--as long as the windows are mostly closed (having one or two windows cracked is ok). But if you have all the windows down in (which I do all the time during the summer) the speakerphone is completely useless. If I get a call, all I have to do is answer it, tell the caller to hang on a second, grab the earpiece from the console, stick it in my ear, press and hold the green call button on the MK remote, and I am instantly transfered to the earpiece. The screen continues to show call info, and radio continues to be mute, and the streaming music continues to be paused. That is something no other bluetooth solution will offer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts