Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Coupe Deville
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A newbie from Scotland UK is about to look at a 1986 Eldorado. Can anyone mention some points I should look out for?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Enjoy your car!!! Im not really familiar with the older Caddy models, but hopefully others will chime in and give you some pointers.

·
Registered
1983 Coupe Deville
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Enjoy your car!!! Im not really familiar with the older Caddy models, but hopefully others will chime in and give you some pointers.
I've already found out to look for brown sludge on the oil filler cap..lol
anything else? Water leaks?

·
Registered
1983 Coupe Deville
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also read to stay away from the 4.1? Unfortunately I don't really have that option as these cars are pretty scarce here.
Is the 4.1 really that bad?:confused:

·
Registered
1983 Coupe Deville
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh well..it's too late now :)
Gonna pick the car up in an hour

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sorry you didnt get more info. Usually guys here are very responsive. Be sure to come back and post some pics when you get her home!!

·
Registered
1983 Coupe Deville
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry you didnt get more info. Usually guys here are very responsive. Be sure to come back and post some pics when you get her home!!
Hi S Preston. no problems..I decided to take the gamble..lol. It does have some issues which I will post shortly :)

I just got her home and the weather isn't that great so I'll take some pics tomorrow and post 'em:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1983 Coupe Deville
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: proud new owner.

Right...I've just pulled the codes and the results are:

E030 (History) ISC RPM out of range
E052 (History) PCM Memory Reset
B127 (current) Sensor Circuit Problem Parking Brake Release
B448 (History) Low A/C refrigerant
B552 (History) BCM Memoy Reset

then at the end it stays on -- ECM? --:hmm:

I'll give it a quick wash after lunch and take some pics as promised :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Umm somebody should be able to help you with your codes. Clear them and see which ones come back. Congrats on the new purchase!!

·
Registered
1983 Coupe Deville
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cleared the codes and now have only 1 left
B127 (current) Sensor Circuit Problem Parking Brake Release

I had a look at the caliper (passenger side) and the lever for the P brake was pulled tight yet the wheel moved freely. The foot brake did work though.

I took the caliper off and assumed it was operating as any other (european) caliper so I tried to push the piston back in and of course that did not work so I managed to get the piston out to have a look inside....what a surprise, there is a stud in the caliper:hmm:
In short...when trying to put the piston back I damaged the outer seal and these are about impossible to get here...:(
Any tips on how to reassemble the caliper again? I've noticed that it is very hard to get the piston back in the seals.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hmm u may have to order the part online somewhere that offers international shipping. Shouldnt be to hard to get a caliper for that car. I dont think the piston was supposed to come out that way. Did you use a c-clamp when trying to push the piston into the caliper?

·
Registered
1983 Coupe Deville
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes, the piston needs screwed back in but I'm having trouble doing this cause of the very tight seals....any tips for this?

·
Registered
1983 Coupe Deville
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have a tool or are you trying to use your hands/fingers?
Is there a tool for this?
But at the moment I'm using my hands and a g-clamp but obviously that doesn't work too well :hmm:

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
Yes, here is the most generic form here
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W80621
You can make your own... you only need two pins a certain distance apart and a way to connect to a ratchet/drill.... If you need a drill to push it back in, you probably need a new caliper... you should have to spin it "too many times"

·
Registered
1983 Coupe Deville
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, here is the most generic form here
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W80621
You can make your own... you only need two pins a certain distance apart and a way to connect to a ratchet/drill.... If you need a drill to push it back in, you probably need a new caliper... you should have to spin it "too many times"
Hi STSS...thanks for your reply. I've just ordered 2 calipers incl new pads from your lovely country :) Only $119 delivered to the UK..quite a good price me thinks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts