Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Like the title says, I'm 53 years old and I'm getting my first taste of a Cadillac.

Well, not really.

Short explanation. I'm soon inheriting a very nice 1978 Coupe Deville, sable black with red velour interior from the estate of my recently passed father. He himself got it as an inheritance via my long departed mother from my too soon passed uncle, who bought it new in 1978.

See I was there. I was there when he was deciding betweeen a Cadillac or a 25th anniversary Corvette. I voted for the vette myself but he did the right thing for himself and got the Cad. I was there the day he got it and took us all for rides. I was impressed! (still am) So big and black and quiet and smooth and powerful.

He would take some of us at different times out for dinner or such and he took me out on a MEMORABLE! night on the town once in it which got me to realize the power of the crest on a certain type of woman. My Uncle had game, a side to him I never knew he had. Fun Fun Night.

He died a batchelor in 1989, at just 55 years old. The Cad had accumulated a mere 32,000 miles.

In a classic case of true irony, my mother always had called him a cheapskate but in the end he had lived most of his life for others. He supported my Grandparents fully on one his properties and he did do things for us occasionally. He just wasn't foolish about money, not letting anyone nickle and dime him into the poorhouse. He died very well to do and my mother and her remaining brother where the recipients of his considerable estate, including of course the Caddy. My mother didn't really want it but my father talked her into getting it.

They put another 12,000 or so miles on it, mostly early in their ownership. My dad took at LEAST as good a care of it as my Uncle did, and he put a DEEP and beautiful polish on the rich original laquer paint a short time after they got it. I,"ahem, "borrowed" it once in the early nineties for a night on the town but the girls my age then weren't all that impressed with an "uncles" car, so....

It has pretty much sat in the garage since the mid nineties, accumulating probably less than 500 miles since then. A few of those e miles where the memorable sight of seeing our nearly 80 year old father, "blowing out the carbon" in the Cad on his rather large, well groomed go gart track on his property. It's a trip to see a Coupe Deville rolling like that in the turns.

That was 2013.

My dad passed away on June 20th of last year. He was 80, lived a good life, missing my mother a lot since she passed in 1999 tho. But he was happy.

And now the Caddy is in my care. I will be at least as protective and caring of it as both my Uncle and my dad. It's not perfect. The last time my dad took it out on the track, which issuch a weird thing to say, when he pulled it up to the garage we smeeled and then saw gasoline pouring out from under the engine and had him to shut it down. The rubber fuel lines where rotted from front to back. We replaced them that day, but if those are bad, I assume ALLL the other rubber fluid lines are bad too, and will be replaced as soon as possible.

The rear bumper fillers are shot. I found the ABS replacements on line and they will be replaced as soon as possible.

The headliner is falling down. The backing board is in good shape, and I will be redoing it as soon as possible.

The AC does not work. It will be repaired as soon as possible.

The power antenna malfunctions by going up and down on it's own. It will be fixed as soon as possible.

The hood ornament has been missing since the mid eighties. ALREADY REPLACED. (priorities man)

Wheels and tires. I do not trust how old the tires are, and I want to put nice aluminum wheels on it.

I drove it in my fathers funeral. It seemed down on power. I will look into it as soon as possible

All these need to be done before cruising season, and before my own little family's trip to visit my wifes relatives in Moorehead Kentucky for the 4th of July celebration. I live in Davison Michigan BTW.

The chrome on the bumpers is thin in places. They will be rechromed in due time.

And just as my Uncle and Father put imprinted on this car, with my Uncle of course buying it and my father putting a deep shine on it, I am putting my own DNA into it.

I will be putting more black in the interior. It's just too much red. The headliner, the carpet, some dash board and door trim details and some lower seat details should be black. I will be getting a freer breathing true dual exhaust eventually, that must be quiet. I want to dress up the engine, with gloss black Cadillac scripted valve covers, stainless steel shorty headers, a better looking dual snorkal air cleaner and an aluminum intake manifold. I would like a little more power and gas milage out of the 425. (don't laugh)

Well that's it. It's mine, and will hopefully stay in my family until cars as we know them can't exist anymore.

Thanks for reading,
Paul, aka peganit2

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Welcome, lots of stuff to fix from sitting all those years. Post some pics when you can.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Welcome to the Forums, Paul! Thanks for the telling of a great story. Best of luck as you make your heirloom your own.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Not to sound like a broken record, but I also enjoyed hearing the background of your car, and I look forward to seeing your progress with it! I'm a Kentucky native, though I'm not sure if I ever made it to Morehead. I grew up in Louisville and spent a little time in Lexington, not far from Morehead. Any chance your car will be prepared for the trip?

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Good to hear. Just don't underestimate Kentucky summers - if the A/C isn't working by then, drive something else!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Advice taken ratmonster, rubber first, tires included, then the A/C.

Dang I just figured out that my Uncle bought this car when he was 44 years old. He paid cash for it too!

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
I know those Cadillacs seem big today, but back in '77-'78 they were considered a much smaller Cadillac. Not as small as the Seville, but still a lot smaller than the behemoths that had led up to the downsizing. These new Cadillacs really were a real improvement in quality construction and in handling. Many didn't like the looks of the cars, but fell in love with them after they drove them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know those Cadillacs seem big today, but back in '77-'78 they were considered a much smaller Cadillac. Not as small as the Seville, but still a lot smaller than the behemoths that had led up to the downsizing. These new Cadillacs really were a real improvement in quality construction and in handling. Many didn't like the looks of the cars, but fell in love with them after they drove them.
Yes, it's amazing how smooth and quiet these cars are.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Outstanding story well told.

Sympathies on losing dad, I lost mine in Aug, takes a while to work that all out in the head.
Ironically, 9 days before he passed we were in Bardstown, where we had memorable vacations in the past. He was happy to get there again.

The Cadillac sounds great and what a wonderful legacy to be left and to be able to one day pass on.

I am glad you found the forum Paul, and I think you will be a perfect addition to our little corner of the net.
:welcome5:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts