Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I recevied my nav unit from forum member r05CTS.
I also got the woodgrain bezel from an ebay seller. Can you guys
share your experiences with me on swapping out our radios for the nav
unit ?? Basically, I'd like some pointers on anything that caused you
grief during the install that I should avoid...I will put up pics of the unit
later tonight....I haven't seen the unit yet but it got delivered via Fedex
today....

I appreciate your input....

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Which is at:

http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/navconvert/index.html

The only confusing part is that he shows the VSS wire as red in one picture and yellow in another (he spliced two wires together).

Also, I have found that double sided taping the GPS antenna near the center speaker will give crappy reception. Buy the factory antenna with the backing plate (~$40), and mount it in the factory location above the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Yup. If you look at the forward most portion of the dash, there is a panel that comes out if one inserts a plastic putty knife between the seam. You simply pop the five or six clips and it comes off. You'll need to twist a quarter turn on the light sensor in the middle to disconnect it. The factory antenna comes mounted to a plate that has two holes in it. If you look right above the speedometer, and pull the thin foam padding back, you can see where it mounts in the aluminum structure.

It takes some maneuvering, but it's easily installable without pulling the entire dash apart, as the shop manual instructs. I took a sheet of paper folded in half, lengthwise, with the antenna and bracket in the middle. I slipped the whole thing under the foam from more toward the middle of the dash, to keep the foam from catching on the bracket. When I had it in the proper place, I pulled the paper out, and screwed the bracket it with a long hex driver. I think it took #4 hex head screws, with some washers to span the mounting holes in the antenna bracket. I used lock-tite on the screws to keep it all together.

To get the antenna wire to the radio, use a coat hanger and insert it from inside where the radio is mounted, to come up from under the dash. Then tape the antenna connector to it, and pull it through. It took me all of 30 minutes to do the entire job, but the GPS reception is much better (6 or 7 satellites, vs 2 or 3 when taped under the center channel speaker).

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
danny, i have a feeling the nav u bought from r05cts's 2005 cts may not be compatible with your 2006.. u should check out your VIN & see if you made the cut off or not

:rofl: .... :rofl:

·
Registered
2007 CTS
582 Posts
what's up with the compatibility? I have a 2007 and I'm thinking about going the Nav route over a carputer...

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6 Black on Black
53 Posts
so now there is a compatibility issue? Ive heard from numerous ppl that any nav from 03-07 will work in any cts 03-07? wtf?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,096 Posts
so now there is a compatibility issue? Ive heard from numerous ppl that any nav from 03-07 will work in any cts 03-07? wtf?
There have been some units made for Asia, Europe, and other areas that don't work in the U.S. but are still offered for sale. Buyer Beware! Check the part number with your dealer to save yourself a lot of wasted effort. The differences are more than simple software and firmware fixes. Some pretty talented people have given up trying to get them to work.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Auto w/ Sport & Luxury Packages
555 Posts
danny, i have a feeling the nav u bought from r05cts's 2005 cts may not be compatible with your 2006.. u should check out your VIN & see if you made the cut off or not/quote]

To clarify there is a firmware update for Nav units that can be acquired either through the dealer or through Heavy Metals and some other forum members. See the following thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum.../85230-navigation-system-update-firmware.html

As long as you have a genuine North American Nav unit, then you are good. If you have one of the Chinese or Euro units, you are SOL, sorry! :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts