Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS Luxury AWD 2.0T Red Obsession
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read this and was saddened, and amazed, but not overly surprised.

Looks like people just don't want to spend money on Cadillac http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/buying/10-cars-americans-don’t-want-to-buy/ss-AAaXpUt?ocid=U219DHP

ATS, XLR, and ELR are the three that from a sales standpoint are doing poorly.

As a recent ATS owner I am on some level surprised as I feel the car is very good and when compared to the alternatives a bit more affordable...but I get it that image is king and people would rather spend a bit more to get something that is perceived as a luxury car.

Wonder if the article is correct in its assessment that soon all the cars on this list will be replaced or eliminated.

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
It is a shame (ATS) as for the ELR and XTS I can see the why. Unfortunately the ATS is not really in the discussion or on the radar for the buyers in the segment. So far the only people who seem to be buying the ATS are the well informed who understand what they are getting. Cadillac vehicles have a perception problem and unfortunately perception is reality. I'm hoping that the ATS V will bring some attention/recognition like it did with the CTS.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 Luxury
202 Posts
I am not surprised seeing the ATS on the list. My experience with my ATS has been less than amazing. Everything from the rough idle, moldy smell, squeaky drivers seat, you name it. 2 months old, its been back to the dealer 3 times now. Nevermind all the random trim pieces coming off. So far, I have not had any engine related issues, but who knows. Hopefully that never happens. Oh, CUE cant seem to "understand" a word I say, sometimes it does not even seem to "hear" me. Am I surprised? No. Just read half the posts/issues on this forum.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,393 Posts
Same list as this one - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-general-discussion-forum/696601-ats-here-stay.html

"10 Cars Americans Don't Want to Buy" is completely wrong. I agree not selling what they wanted to sell, but look at the number they sold and the ATS sold better than many cars. Sold over 33k in N. America last year - http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/cadillac-ats-sales-figures.html

More than the A6, A3, 1 series and many others. If they had built 33k A3, it also would have made this list but instead Audi had a better understanding of what was reasonable. Also funny to have the "10 Cars Americans Don't Want to Buy" and have the GTR on the list. I can think of of hundreds of cars above this one on my list of "I don't want to buy".

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
You are right they are using the days on lot which is more of an over production indicator and not a "Don't Want to Buy". This also leads to the heavy discounting to move the 33k. The more ATSs on the road the better to get some recognition so I'm not sure Cadillac did not take that into account when they over produced.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Lux, 2017 MB C300 Coupe
997 Posts
Well, guys, I think we'll have to learn to live with the fact that as Cadillac has done a poor job in establishing an appropriate perception of the car, only enthusiasts who have ATS' will know anything about ATS' excellent performance characteristics. In other words, very, very, very few of us will ever have the pleasure and the high from anyone saying: Wow, an ATS, what a great driving luxury car. Those who will most benefit from this car will be (are) those who can buy them at greatly reduced prices.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
The title of the article isn't accurate. Its about cars that more are built than people want. No car ever made could escape the list if enough were built. A better title would be the top 10 cars manufacturers overestimated the demand for if sold for a profit. Even the ELR would sell out in a day if priced the same as a Volt. Being on the list is a reflection on the manufacturer, not the cars themselves. In the case of the ELR, Cadillac grossly misjudged what people would pay. With the other two they weren't off by much but it doesn't take much if you keep cranking them out anyway.

·
Registered
2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L
601 Posts
isnt that good for us?

cant wait till I can get an ats-v for $35k ;)

flycaster said:
Well, guys, I think we'll have to learn to live with the fact that as Cadillac has done a poor job in establishing an appropriate perception of the car, only enthusiasts who have ATS' will know anything about ATS' excellent performance characteristics. In other words, very, very, very few of us will ever have the pleasure and the high from anyone saying: Wow, an ATS, what a great driving luxury car. Those who will most benefit from this car will be (are) those who can buy them at greatly reduced prices.

·
Registered
2014 2.0t AWD
276 Posts
Doesn't surprise me. At the beginning of this year my dealer (a combined GMC/Buick/Cadillac store) had 5 ATS's in stock - 3 of them were built in August/September of '13. Those cars sat on the lot for about year and a half. He still has 1 '14 (not sure when that one was built) and only 1 '15 ATS. There must have been strong demand back when the ATS first came out so dealers stocked up on them expecting demand to continue.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
If cadillac wants to sell them at BMW prices, they need to make fewer ATS's. If they could sell them at a price closer to a loaded Honda Accord / Ford Fusion, they would sell a lot of them.

·
Registered
'15 ATS Coupe Lux
93 Posts
Great news. Now I can be assured of driving a unique car that will stand out from the crowd. Love having a car that isnt seen very often on the road and with the ATS coupe thats extra special as mine is the only one I have ever seen so far since having it and thats just fine with me!

·
Registered
2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L
601 Posts
yep. here in Houston, few ats can be seen. very fee ats with led lights can be seen and even fewer ats with 18" can be seen. make me feel special :)
gvc803 said:
Great news. Now I can be assured of driving a unique car that will stand out from the crowd. Love having a car that isnt seen very often on the road and with the ATS coupe thats extra special as mine is the only one I have ever seen so far since having it and thats just fine with me!

·
Registered
14 ATS 2.0/11 Camaro SS
200 Posts
there are a handful here at my executive park garage. One of them is actually my coworker. She has an Opulent Blue Base with the Cue upgrade. 28 and as pretty as the car, she came from an Audi that was giving her problems. Great marketing for the younger Cadillac generation! I see lots of SRX's around here

Now base model Lexus IS and low end 3 series are scattered around all over this place, don't even notice them!

·
Registered
NONE
8 Posts
Doesn't surprise me. At the beginning of this year my dealer (a combined GMC/Buick/Cadillac store) had 5 ATS's in stock - 3 of them were built in August/September of '13. Those cars sat on the lot for about year and a half. He still has 1 '14 (not sure when that one was built) and only 1 '15 ATS. There must have been strong demand back when the ATS first came out so dealers stocked up on them expecting demand to continue.
If cadillac wants to sell them at BMW prices, they need to make fewer ATS's. If they could sell them at a price closer to a loaded Honda Accord / Ford Fusion, they would sell a lot of them.
Yup. If you look on cars.com, there are currently 1500 new model year 2014 ATSs for sale; there are almost 9000 2015s [1]. That's at least several weeks of inventory just for the 2014s and over 4 months of the 2015s! The 2014s have been sitting on the lot for close to a year now if not more, and the 2015's sell-by date is rapidly approaching as well, particularly as there are some meaningful improvements in the 2016s which are available for order now and will be hitting the lots in a handful months.

In contrast, there are just 143 2014 Audi A4s on cars.com, under 10% of the ATS inventory, and 3600 2015s. There are 400 BMW 2014 3-series (of all types, both 328s and 335s, gas and diesel), and 13,000 2015s listed; of course, BMW sells many times as many 3-series as Cadillac does ATS, yet only has one-fourth of the 2014s still sitting on the lots and proportionately far fewer 2015s.

The head of Cadillac doesn't want to discount or lower prices. The market reality is otherwise, at least right now while Cadillac rebuilds its brand. The market simply isn't embracing a $44k moderately equipped ATS 2.0T RWD Luxury, or a well equipped $54k ATS 3.6 AWD Premium. Much as I like the ATS, I'm only considering it because I think it's possible to get the former as a new 2014 for ~$32k (+TTL), or the latter for under $40k.

The $1500 conquest incentive (2014 and 2015) and the $4000 dealer cash (2014) are set to expire at the end of this month. It will be interesting to see what happens then - obviously, the cars won't become suddenly more valuable on May 1, especially the 2014s.

[1]Now, cars.com's listings may well not be complete if not all dealers list there, nor 100% up date. I don't know, for example, if a majority of Audi/BMW dealers list on cars.com; if not, then actual inventory levels could be higher than shown; still, I think it's a reasonable snapshot of how much higher Cadillac's inventory levels are.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,393 Posts
Agree with a lot of the above but when you are sitting on too much inventory you can't automatically say the price is the only issue. If you made half as many you wouldn't have to drop the price as much (maybe not at all depending on the product).

When comparing inventory levels, one of the problems comes from the number of Cadillac dealers (928) compared to Audi (280) and the fact that most people want to buy a car off of the lot. So there are (1500) 2014's ATS's available, this is only about 1.5 per dealer, of course this is less likely to happen at Audi as they only have 280 dealerships and it would be 5 per dealer for them. Or, if each Cadillac dealer has on average (5) 2015 ATS's or Audi dealer has (5) 2015 Audi A4's then you end up with a total of 4640 ATS's total for Cadillac or 1400 A4's for Audi. Cutting overall inventory leaves few choices for the Cadillac buyer that shows up to see the cars.

Cut the dealerships down (dealer franchise laws make this almost impossible), help the ones remaining sell more cars, have better facilities, and help the overall system. Of course the BMW dealer has nicer facilities and more people to help you, on average each dealer sells more than 5 times as many cars as the Cadillac dealer does.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2015/01/21/cadillac-considers-boutique-stores-small-dealers/22144177/

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T Performance
88 Posts
I don't think this is attributable to price or inventory (at least not to the degree proposed here). I think this list, while lazily created based on days in inventory, really is representative of "cars Americans don't want to buy." And if you look at the list, I think marketing is the biggest factor, followed by model year transitions. That is, this is a list of "Cars Americans don't realize exist" and "Cars that don't need to exist."

10. Cadillac ATS - Most buyers just don't even know it exists. My friends all know I drive a Cadillac. Coworkers think the crest on my key fob means I drive a luxury boat. Nobody knows what an ATS is.

9. KIA Cadenza - Has a lot of things going against it. Maxima and TLX shoppers don't even know they should look at it. Like with the K900 and Equus, nobody paying luxury car prices wants a Korean badge on the back, even if it's a legitimate competitor.

8. Volvo XC90 - This is an aging platform that isn't competitive against other SUVs in its class anymore. The new model looks like it will put Volvo back in the running in this segment, but yeah, nobody wants last year's model that feels like last decade's model.

7. Fiat 500L - This one just seems obvious to me. There are too many better competitors in its class. If you just have to have a Fiat, then you're probably a 26-year-old single woman, and you're buying the regular 500. If you're in the market for something like a 500L and you even know it exists, then there are probably a half-dozen cars you'd rather buy.

6. Cadillac XTS - I think this is just a car that didn't need to exist. People aren't buying big FWD sedans. They're buying mid-size cars and SUVs. I was never sure what this car offered that wasn't exceeded by a CTS. Maybe you can fit a mobility scooter in the back and it costs less than an Escalade? Literally its only purpose is to keep senior citizens on the road for a few years after their Northstar DTS finally gives up the ghost, because it's just not worth confusing them with the benefits of something smaller and more efficient. Of course no one wants to buy it.

5. Buick Verano - Buick has a worse image problem than does Cadillac. Their cars are probably great, but they've just never offered a package that appealed to me as a younger buyer. I think the aforementioned seniors should be trading in their DTS for a Buick, but could I tell you the difference between a Verano, a Regal, and a LaCrosse? Not a chance. Can I always distinguish a Buick from a Lincoln on the road? Admittedly no. The fact that they sold over 40k Veranos certainly suggests that somebody wants to buy them. I just think those buyers are probably fleet managers and confused old people.

4. Infiniti Q60 - This one is kind of surprising, because I've always thought that Infiniti offers a compelling car in their respective segments (I used to own an M45 Sport, which was excellent). The problem here is probably just an aging model that looks the same as it has for five years. They changed the name but marketing failed to support the transition, so now nobody even knows they should be searching for "Q60." They're just trying to figure out why they can't find a new G37 anywhere.

3. Cadillac ELR - As my Cadillac sales rep told me when I asked how many he's sold, "It takes a special kind of person to buy that car." I think the criticisms have been well covered. The bottom line is that it's a really nice Volt that costs way too much. Regardless of its actual OTD price, its MSRP means it's not even on the radar for people who should be buying it. They need to improve performance and slash the price. As such, I think the 2016 model will sell more briskly with the right marketing. But until they put some butts in seats and get this thing on the road for people to see, this will never be a sales leader. Which is a shame, because I think it's a great car without much in the way of real competition.

2. Nissan GT-R - See, this is what happens when you make a list based on an arbitrary metric that's not always relevant. This is a car that is supposed to languish in a dealer showroom. It's a car that will keep drooling buyers from walking out the door while a sales rep races to pull up a new Altima for them from the lot. Everyone who wants one already has one. Anyone else who wants one will buy it used, because even with low depreciation, the price of earlier models is much less than a new one, without giving up much in the way of features or performance. The rest of us will just get a Z06 or a Tesla. Would you say that Americans don't want to buy the Ford GT or Lexus LFA just because there are still new ones in dealer inventory years later?

1. Honda Insight - They still make the Insight? I recently bought a hybrid vehicle, and I didn't even know this was an option. Who even knows this is a car--and perhaps more importantly, who even knows this isn't a Prius? I bought a Ford C-Max, which certainly suffers itself from poor market visibility (and thus poor sales). Frankly, I was surprised that both of my recent car purchases weren't on this list. I'm such a contrarian!

So yeah, GM overproduced and undermarketed the first-gen ATS. The only reason it ended up on my shopping list is that I saw one on the road one day and had to go home and look it up. I think the forthcoming torrent of ATS-V reviews and auto blog comparos will really boost the visibility and sales of our more pedestrian baby Caddys, but they still have work to do to make them "cool" and desirable. Audi did it about ten years ago. The douchiest guy you know used to drive a BMW. Then one day Audi convinced him that their cars were less pretentious and more authentic. But that's waning, so there's a real opportunity to sell him an ATS-V or CT6. When that happens, you'll know we've arrived!

No sense in worrying about the XTS. It will be gone soon enough, and they'll just sell more of the CT6 in its place. It was a stopgap, and it probably served its purpose just fine.

And I think there's still plenty of time for them to turn the ELR into a success. They're addressing the initial mistakes, and if they can make people aware of this car and get them into the showroom, then they'll sell themselves, especially at the newer, lower prices.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
If a Nissan GTR (Godzilla) is on this list I pay no attention. The car is a beast and most people don't know what they are looking at. They see the price and say why. Well they don't know it is basically a super car. These people get a car to drive from point A to B (Driving Miss Daisy $hit). They could care less what the car can do. If you drive an ATS you know what it is about and you like spirited driving. Most people don't care and want a car that is cheap and lasts a long time. Stupid bottom 10 list. JUST BURN IT.:mad2:

Some of us like the idea that we have a rare car on the road. I do as well. But if we want to keep driving cars like this from Caddy then they need to sell cars or make less of them.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T Performance
88 Posts
Is the number for "days supply" in the article the average for 2014? Any idea where that current number can be found?

Yeah I'm guessing they just put the whole senseless article together based on some 2014 industry report. It's been a pretty popular theme over the years. The numbers themselves are usually available in individual automakers' monthly/quarterly reports, and I'm sure there are plenty of sites that collect and disseminate that data for your enjoyment.

https://www.cars.com/articles/marchs-fastest--and-slowest-selling-cars-1420680195366/
http://www.edmunds.com/industry-center/data/days-to-turn-by-make.html
http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/this-week-in-car-buying-prices-climb-inventories-steady-stair_step-incentives-return-more-macans-maxing-out-maxima/2000011957/

In this particular instance, that MSN article (along with a bunch of other outlets) just ripped off a report by 247wallst.com, who got their 2014 data from KBB.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts