Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
02 Seville Sts
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a 02 cadillac seville sts i just got a new motor put in with 86,000 miles on it..i start driving it then it cuts off(bad mass air flow plug) so i resolve that then i notice my speedometer is not working now and also my car wont shift out of 1st gear..is anyone familiar with this problem? your input is very appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
2000 STS
100 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have a DTC stored in your PCM, so let us know and we can help.

My guess would be the VSS, not connected or broken wire. It's located on the transmission at right drive shaft

·
Registered
02 Seville Sts
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you i appreciate that im goin to look into that..i looked up the price on one..is this job alot of labor to replace?

·
Registered
2000 STS
100 Posts
well, it's a bit tricky when you do it at home, but I think someone who can replace the motor is able to do that job in 30 mins.

But I wouldn't be so fast to replace the sensor, they're not common for going bad, and when you replaced the motor you had a lot wiring stuff to handle, so it makes sense that you just forgot the sensor connector or broke the harness somewhere else

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,064 Posts
Ground wire loose - and there are a bunch of them. You'll need a GM service manual to find all the locations, boxes and bolts. (Some collected grounds go to a black box with bolt lug connector. One or more wiring connectors in the box may be loose/corroded.)

First places are the transmission umbilical cord connector and the ground close by where it exits the transmission case. Next comes any engine-to-body grounds.

Loose/missing grounds are NOT uncommon after an engine removal/swap job.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
New problems right after the engine replacement always seems to be wiring issues. The chance of the sensor just "gone bad" during the repair is slim.

·
Registered
02 Seville Sts
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so should i start with the sensors on the transmission and go from there?

----------

so if the chance is slim should i just check for bad wiring or replace the trans?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,064 Posts
You need to get any trouble codes from your car's built-in code reader/scanner/memory. You can do it all right from the DIC and DIC control buttons.

Check transmission sensors ???? Except for the VSS they're all hidden inside the transmission case.

Slim chance that the Internal Mode Switch (on the valve body) is bad. A code would be set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts