Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 dhs
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 dhs, i just got a new set of monroe ma822 which came with the cups. My question was do i need a new bushing for these, or can i use the stock one on my car? If i do neeed new ones is this something the auto store would have on hand or is it a ordered part, i didn't know if they were universal.
Thanks

·
Registered
2000 DTS / 2005 STS
380 Posts
Question.... are you gettin a "Service Suspension System" and "Speed Limited To 90" message in your dash display? I got the same shocks installed and had these messages ever since!!!

·
Registered
2002 dhs
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i haven't installed yet, i have heard that not everyone has had that problem and it maybe corrected by adding a inline resistor idk how many ohms though. i don't understand why installing these would mess up electrical sensors

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
i haven't installed yet, i have heard that not everyone has had that problem and it maybe corrected by adding a inline resistor idk how many ohms though. i don't understand why installing these would mess up electrical sensors
The issue of installing aftermarket shocks and/or struts on post 2000 Deville models depends on the factory suspension RPO code. IF your model has the F45 RPO designation, you will see the SERVICE SUSPENSION SYSTEM message after installing the Monroe (passive) shocks. The RPO codes can be found on the bottom surface of the spare tire cover.

The poster with a DTS model absolutely has the F45 RPO code.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
The poster with a DTS model absolutely has the F45 RPO code.

Poster has a DHS as per the post. FE1 should be the RPO code. I've done the swap (except I used the Gabriel HiJackers, as I found out that's who AC Delco uses on this specific application, instead of the Monroe), and there will be no codes. You can use the same shock mounts that came with the car, unless they are making a noise. The swap is easy. Test your lines for air leaks with a spray bottle with water and dish detergent. Make sure there are no air leaks (check where the chasis could potentially rub against the tubes). When you get the old shocks out, contract them to see if any water comes out. If so, you will probably (and I recommend that you do anyway) need to replace the dryer (then retest for leaks).

The swap is straight forward. Twist the clips at the air line connector 90 degrees so they disengage from the lip on the shock absorber nipple where they connect, then grab by the connector and gently pull straight away. I think the Monroes are significantly softer than the Gabriel HiJackers, which seem to be very heavy duty. domino1968 has a post on how to replace them, also look for mine in case they may be applicable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts