Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow Cadillac enthusiasts,

I am a frequent reader turned first time member. I am on my 4th Deville ('90, '99, '01, '04). Ready to turn 100M miles. Other than routine maintenance the car has performed well, as expected. I recently replaced the water pump and the rear shocks are next as leaks in both are detected. Times being what they are, this one will be here for the duration. My question(s):

For the second hundred thousand, what component wear-outs or part failures should I be on the look out? Any known weaknesses? Timing chain problems few or consider as preventative maint. when time allows?

Any input will be noted and appreciated.

Thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,793 Posts
The timing chains themselves will last a LONG time - it's the nylon tension shoes and guide slippers that wear, but they'll signal with a whine or high pitched buzz from the chaincase.

More likely are main accessory drive idler and tensioner pulleys, A/C clutch pulley bearing, alternator bearings, water pump drive tensioner pulley, front struts, rear shocks, any wheel hub, brake pads, rotors, brake fluid change, coolant change, transmission fluid change, AIR pump, ELC compressor assembly, tie rod ends, steering pump and rack, spark plugs, plug boots, throttlebody cleaning, HVAC blower motor, air duct actuators, one or more O2 sensors, fuel pump, fuel level sensor...........the usual normal maintenance stuff. It all wears out and has to be replaced. No way around it, and it occurs with ANY car or model.

Just noticed .............Welcome Aboard !!!:highfive:

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
....My question(s):

For the second hundred thousand, what component wear-outs or part failures should I be on the look out?
My philosphy and experience (at 200,000+ miles) does not include anticipating a failure. If/when something fails, I will deal with it. Otherwise, motor on.

Any known weaknesses? Timing chain problems....
Take this to the bank; your car will be crushed & melted long before you have any timing chain problems.

Keep your cup "half full" rather than "half empty".

Onward through the fog toward 300,000 miles....

·
Registered
2004 deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To Sumariner, Ranger and JimD -

Thanks for the "heads-up" and good advice. Never had window probs on pasts Cads but everthing wears out sooner or later.

Nice to be aboard!

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,691 Posts
Never had window probs on pasts Cads but everthing wears out sooner or later.
You eventually will have window regulator problems on the 00-05 Deville's... I've repaired 7 out of the 8 on my 2 cars. When you do... don't waste your money on a new regulator they are easily repaired using a couple of washers, cotter pins and epoxy. It's all covered down in the tech tips section.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts