Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I've recently purchased a 1987 Brougham in nice condition.
106K miles with minor flaws overall.
It was in a minor accident and I'll be repairing the left front fender and pieces associated with that corner.
Otherwise clean and well maintained.

The minor issues (as I see them) aside from the left fender -
Dash vents will not switch from defrost or heat.
Exhaust leak somewhere aft of the downpipe(s).
Power antenna replacement planned.
Cracked windshield.
L/R window operates, but not from the driver switch.
Sagging headliner.
Tear around the left wreath of the sewn-in emblem on the drivers seat.
...and just dirty overall, ...so a full detail coming soon.

Drivetrain is solid.
Rust is very minimal.

I believe I've found the right Cadillac for me. One that I'm willing to spend some time with as to bringing it back to its rightful glory.

I'll get some pictures going of its current pitiful-looking state for the posterity of knowing where it came from...

Thanks,
CM85 - aka "Steve"

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Welcome Steve! You have come to the right place - congratulations on your new car! :)

I've had great luck with WLS headliners.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,963 Posts
Hi Steve! Great first post!:worship:

Not to be funny, but you really nailed what is the absolute musts in a first post.
Masthead filled in so we know who and where you are and the model and year of car.
Usually that takes six or seven of us asking to find all that info.:lol:

I would suggest that when you get pics to start a build thread and it will give you a chance to pick a title that holds up to time better than "New guy..."

I will knock off a couple of easy ones for you.
I just fixed my seat control on the drivers door by spraying Electric contact cleaner in switch and working it back and forth. Give that a try first.

For the seat tear since it is up where not a lot of stress is, you might get by with a square of material (fabric) covered with glue, hold the square over the rip with the glue facing you not the seat. Put a screwdriver blade in the middle and press it into the hole, that will push the foam away from the cover. Then it is a matter of using another screwdriver and folding out the corners of the cloth to expose the glue toward the back of cover. when you let off the pressure the foam brings the patch to the back of the seat.

If the antenna mast is still there and not moving, make sure it is not unplugged. My cable snapped in mine and I had to unplug it under the hood or it would just keep running. After confirming it is plugged in and fuse is good, then you know you need an antenna not just a mast cable.

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

I forgot to mention that the air ride has issues as well. One day the passenger side may be up and the driver side down, ..the next day may have the reversal; driver side up, passenger down. I haven't looked into much any of it yet.

Yhe car was owned from new by an elderly woman, got sold for some reason to a Fella a couple of years ago who apparently put little mileage on it before causing the fender mishap which sent it to impound. I got it from a fella who bought it at auction a few months ago. He did nothing to it but drive it for approximately 3K miles never once washing or cleaning anything. The fast-food bags in the rear floorboard were shocking by my standards.
...now I have it.
I certainly feel like I've rescued it from the impending Hell that was coming for it.

Anyway, I still need to get some pictures of it and get them up.
I'm planning it as a driver while repairing the various things as time moves forward.
No upgrades planned. Would like to get it back to a nice, clean, stock-condition-ride and go from there. Won't take much to do that in my opinion.

I believe that:
a) aside from the fender damage that owner #2 gave it,
b) most problems have risen from owner #3 and his short-lived ownership ...as best I can tell.
It still has the Police tag hanging from the shift lever indicating that it (the tag) must remain there until the body damage is repaired. That, combined with the impound, combined with who I got it from (a scrapper with a Dealers license who bought it at auction, replacing the ignition key switch), ...tells me I've truly saved this car.
No door key as a result.

I'll probably get various threads going relating to the various things I'll have to deal with in getting it back to its former glory. I'm not so much interested in a long-running continuous thread of a documented rebuild or restoration. A "stuff along the way" kind of approach.

Tomorrow should be a sunny day for some pics. Wait until y'all see the filthy mess it has become. I don't believe they washed once.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Rear air ride should be easy enough. Get some new delco air shocks. I bet it has the originals and I bet they're at the end of their life.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Welcome, hope you get it sorted out all the issues :)

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
If you have a junkyard near you, you can get parts to fix all that for about 200 (bumper, headlamp bezel, grille, fender/ inner fender).
Glad to see you saved it from certain doom.

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is the plan.
I do hope the prices are as fair as $200.00.
Todays high of nine degrees slows progress for me.
I'll move forward none-the-less.
Thanks, Kevin, ..for the heads-up on pricing.
CM

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
That is the plan.
I do hope the prices are as fair as $200.00.
Todays high of nine degrees slows progress for me.
I'll move forward none-the-less.
Thanks, Kevin, ..for the heads-up on pricing.
CM
Bumper is 50-60, fender with inner fender, same (leave wheel well trim on it), headlight bezel 5-10, same for the corner light. Hopefully you don't need a front clip. That's another 50-100 (depending on if you leave the headlights/ trim/ grille on it)

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
yeah, good save on that car! I don't see any rust bubbling up under the vinyl top in the pictures so that's a great plus!

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Wow, Steve! You got to the old girl just in time! Once you get all the neglect issues sorted out, you're going to have a very sweet car. :welcome:

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Very cool save and will make a sweet car with a little work.
Very cool of you to share the unvarnished true "as received" pics!
Most aren't that brave.:lol:

Why so passionate about saving a Cadillac? Past ownership, or history with the brand?
I mean...we get it, but why you?

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...some family history as a child.
I've had similar GM vehicles; '79 Olds 98 2-door and a '83 Gran Prix Brougham. Never a Cadillac though.
A '77 Lincoln many years ago.
Various Camaros, tubbed Vega, etc..

Always wanted a RWD Fleetwood.
This is the same in my opinion.

The car and timing were right. I traded one of my old Goldwings for it.

These pictures are from the Craigslist ad where I found it. Apparently from when the fella I got it from first got it...
00n0n_8SyAQD752Z3_600x450.jpg
01616_d6kpXdMb77e_600x450.jpg

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Yeah.

That should clean up nicely if it looked that great a year ago!

·
Registered
1987 Brougham
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
...that was 1 month and about 1000 miles ago, apparently. The original C/L ad is at 27 days now ...and counting.
The fella has had the car for about three months and 3K miles.
I believe the pics were taken in that washbay back when he got the car a few months ago.

I've edited probably 4 times to say this accurately...
...5 times now...

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Damn! It got trashed fast! At least you know you have a solid car to work with under all the grunge.

·
Registered
1987 Brougham D'Elegance
147 Posts
Looks a lot like my '87! These cars are great, good luck with the body work!
And Mine!

Also have the antenna mast problem. Antennamastsrus.com had the part. Still struggling to get the finial off the top (even with a torch and a vice). But try that, dismount it from the inner fender, then use a box wrench to unscrew the top of the antenna off and drill out the rivets on the bottom. You should be able to see a nylon cable inside.

I noticed that defrost won't switch over until the car is heated up, something I hadn't experienced in other cars i've owned.

Hear an exhaust leak too -- haven't checked that out yet though.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts