Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all;
I have been a lurker here off and on for a while now and am finally ready to make the leap into STS ownership. From researching this site I know it's important to keep the coolent changed, but how frequently(mileage/ months). I know to look in the trunk for evidence of leaking, to look for oil leaks, the vibration issue and the crank sensor problem am I missing anything else ? My budget is 15k currently, in my area this could by me a low mileage 01 or a high mileage 02. Because I commute currently 88 miles a day I probably won't drive it daily because I don't want to drive into the ground and know when I find the right car it will be around for a long time. I want to start looking at cars this week any suggestions you guys could offer to me would be both WELCOME and VERY APPRECIATED.

Thanks.
Vidal

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone suggest a price range for the cars? I am looking for a car 01 to 02 under 50k in miles.

Thanks.
Vidal

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
under 50K umm wow at least 18K for an STS fully optioned you could prob pick up an SLS at least

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
If you like driving really fast, find one with W rated tires on the door.

And on early '02s with the CD stacker and the non Nav radio... the stock radio does not "talk" across the serial bus very well and from time to time the stacker drops from the list of options... This is yet another known problem with these cars and yet it took my dealer 4 visits to fix it under warranty. If the car you buy is off warranty this will cost $900 to fix. It is easy to identify radios that have this problem...
1) it is an 02 only issue and
2) if you press the "PTY" button it does nothing...

updated rations say something like "NO SATELITE"

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reponses. I saw a 01 today at a local Lexus dealership today the car has 39k on it and the dealer is asking 16k for it. I am hoping to talk them down to 14 to 15k. It's grey with silver interior, here in Illnois dealers are not open for business so I will be going back tommorow or tuesday to test drive it. Any suggestion on price and what should I look for beside what has been mentioned.

Thanks.

Vidal.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,623 Posts
xrayman said:
Hello all;
I have been a lurker here off and on for a while now and am finally ready to make the leap into STS ownership. From researching this site I know it's important to keep the coolent changed, but how frequently(mileage/ months). I know to look in the trunk for evidence of leaking, to look for oil leaks, the vibration issue and the crank sensor problem am I missing anything else ? My budget is 15k currently, in my area this could by me a low mileage 01 or a high mileage 02. Because I commute currently 88 miles a day I probably won't drive it daily because I don't want to drive into the ground and know when I find the right car it will be around for a long time. I want to start looking at cars this week any suggestions you guys could offer to me would be both WELCOME and VERY APPRECIATED.

Thanks.
Vidal
Per the owners manual, 5yrs/100K (or sooner).

·
Registered
03 Seville STS & 05 F250 4x4 Powerstroke
67 Posts
Good deal can be had. I recently picked up am 03 STS onyx blue on neutral shale. Fully equipped less navigation. Miles were a little high 75,000. After calling the dealer that originally sold the vehicle I found all the current service / maintenance had been done. Although I had to fly to NC from Illinois to pick it up, it was well worth the $12,600 I gave for it. The magna ride magnetic ride control is fantastic! It completely changes the cars ability.

·
Registered
1997 seville sts
133 Posts
xrayman...it depends on features and everything too

i live in the town right next to you and i bought a 97 sts, fully loaded with every possible option and upgrade, with 82k miles, and i still paid 7,000 for it. although i may have paid too much, i'm not a fan of a certian car dealer in crest hill anymore.....

·
Registered
2003 STS
35 Posts
i own a 2003 STS and so far no problems. It has approx. 50,000 miles on it. One thing I will mention that hasn't been but has been beaten to death on here is the shimmey between 60 and 70 mph. Make sure the car has been road force balanced ( I think that is what it is called). I did have to do that to mine... after that.. car has been excellent. good luck on you purchase and enjoy the finest ride around.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Bought my 01 for 20,000 Can 11 mnths ago. Guessing thats round 18,000 US.
Far as i can tell it has everything cept for the Nav sys and the tire pressure sensors.
Has the moon roof, Chrome rims, 5 pack cd changer etc.
Only 52,000 Kilometeres on it. Works to round 30,000 miles.

That 01 you mentioned at the Lexus dealer for 16K sounds like a deal to me.
Hope you jumped on it.
Probably such a good price cause an import dealer really doesnt want an American car on the lot. If they didnt sell it soon could bet that it would go to auction.
Is what happened with mine.
The Caddy dealership I bought it from got it from auction being sold by an import dealership.

Can gaurantee that the import dealer made a dollar on the trade in for the Lac. And would have made another dollar on the resale if they wanted to keep it on the lot. But still broke at least even on the auction sale.
And the Lac dealer i bought it from at least made a penny lol.

A high end import dealership is probably the best place to look for a nice used Cadillac. The ones with the money have it for a couple years. Let the dealer take care of the maintance. All hassle free and recorded.
Then they get tired of it and or want to keep up with the Jonses and trade it in for the even newer BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, etc.

Is interesting that you mentioned "....a low mileage 01 or a high mileage 02...". Cause when I bought my 01 there was an 02 right beside it with slightly higher mileage. It didnt have the chrome rims or the sun/moon roof. But was only pennys cheaper. I think ? Or maybe pennys more ?????? cant remember.
Either way was a no brainer.

Good luck in your search.
Good to see your doin some research before jumpin in.
But remember one thing.
This is a forum for those that would like help with problems; so of course thats what your going to see here. But for every one that has a perticular problem there are at least 100s of thousands that are a dream.

Let us know what you decided on.
Post a pic if you can

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello All:
I did get an STS. It is an 01 that had 51k on the clock at the time of purchase. The car is fully loaded with the exception of Navi. The car is BlK/Blk it has 17 wheels and is sitting on Chrome rims. I have had the car for about 2 months. I have put under 2k on it since I bought it and I am loving it. It needs tires which it's getting this week and I have to do a brake job on it otherwise all is well.

Thanks for all the advise.

Vidal

·
Registered
01 Seville STS
24 Posts
I just picked up an 01 STS with everything but navi for 14,900 out the door.. The car is in good shape with 59k when purchased. So far I love it.. BTW. I picked it up at a dealer in Elgin.. I live by Gurnee in Illinois near you Im guessing.

·
Registered
03 Seville STS & 05 F250 4x4 Powerstroke
67 Posts
I'm in Palatine. Glad you're loving it too! I was looking for one with navi originally, but for what I paid I was more than happy with what I got. Did o1's have xenons? or tire pressure monitors?

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
I'm in Palatine. Glad you're loving it too! I was looking for one with navi originally, but for what I paid I was more than happy with what I got. Did o1's have xenons? or tire pressure monitors?
Yess to both, as part of an optional package though.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
Yes xenons are the HID very bright, blue white lights...

Don't quote me but I think the tire pressure sensor option was bundled with the rear parking assist system.

I think by 02 these were standard on the STS..

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Yes xenons are the HID very bright, blue white lights...

Don't quote me but I think the tire pressure sensor option was bundled with the rear parking assist system.

I think by 02 these were standard on the STS..
Must have the xenons then. Little more white but with a hint of blue. And quite bright.
Have the rear parking assist as well but not the Tire Pressure Monitors.
Love the rain sense for the wipers too. Works quite well for me.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
Check out the stems of your wheels... are they metal? with metal caps? if they are then you have the tire pressure system... This system can be disabled with the Tech II at a dealer.

This is often done as some customers like to run at pressures greater then 38 PSI and with the system active this will generate a code...

Some customer turn it off when the chrome wheels start to leak too as the constant warnings can be annoying...

If you have the "right" wheel stems... then next time you're at the dealer have them Tech II it and turn the feature back on...

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS (167k)
473 Posts
For 2001, a sport package included 17-inch W-rated tires and suspension tweaks to match, tire-pressure monitoring, HID lighting, and rear-parking assist--a good package to seek out. Midyear, the quicker-responding Magneride System replaced the Continuously Variable Road-Sensing Suspension. The 2002 models could be optioned with XM Satellite Radio and an improved DVD nav system, and chrome wheels became standard on the STS in 2003. Motortrend

1 - 20 of 39 Posts