Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
Strange idea. Be cool to see it happen though, an SRX-V. I'm just curious as to where he can get "a brand new complete with wiring and accessories 2007 STS-V 4.4L LC3 469HP engine".

·
Registered
06' STS V
491 Posts
Strange idea. Be cool to see it happen though, an SRX-V. I'm just curious as to where he can get "a brand new complete with wiring and accessories 2007 STS-V 4.4L LC3 469HP engine".
You can buy them as crate engines directly from GM.
VERY expensive,more than the value of the SRX he's putting it into.
And he faces alot of other issues,especially if he doesn't swap the trans as well. Plus your putting that much power in a vehicle that clearly wasn't designed for it so your break stuff...

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,905 Posts
The 1st gen SRX is based on a STS chassis so the engine should fit and mount up pretty easy.

·
Registered
08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 13 cts vagon
1,611 Posts
I think it can be done. And all ways thought it would be pretty cool myself. Kind of like an X5M BMW.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4
1,420 Posts
Tim beat me to it.

Also, I came across a complete LC3 engine/harness on fleabay a little while back.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
So like what should have been the original Vagon. Could have potential, but lot more than I would spend on it versus its value.

Wonder if they have the same suspen? that wagon does BEG to be lowered..

·
Registered
2008 SRX V8 Luxury Package
46 Posts
My research and planning is slowing down quickly, not much more to do (besides performance wise)--I NEED A CAR!

My dilemma is, do I drop in the new engine as-is, untouched, to make sure it works and to get a baseline WHP... or, first pull the heads to stud them (or also get the heads worked over by CHRF) before dropping it in, thus avoiding doubling the engine pulling.

From my reading it appears head gaskets are an issue with these engines after 100k-140k miles so I was thinking of studding to head off the issue (pun intended). The other thing that has struck me in my reading is how much folks spend on a plethora of parts, never gaining expected (or hoped for) power increases, as much as $10K to $12K, without ever doing the two mods that would likely gain as much power at a fraction of the price and allow those other mods to have greater effect--new cams (and cam timing) and head porting/polishing (and 3-angle valve job and HP springs allowing the engine to rev to 8000). CHRF does that for $2800. Why are the heads usually the last mod; is it because the engine has to be pulled; is pulling the engine that difficult? The SRX doesn't look at all intimidating to me.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,905 Posts
I'm sure it is due to the difficulty of pulling the engine. It's not that hard but you really need a lift or at least some way to get the car several feet off the ground. All the other parts you can buy are easy bolt ons.

Where did you see that head gaskets were a problem on the LC3? I have not heard that.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,012 Posts
I've not heard of any head gasket issues on any LC3 (or LH2 for that matter) on the forum. I'd see that work as a waste of money.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I stand happily corrected. It appears the issue I'd read about was the 1st gen N*. Glad to hear that.

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
777 Posts
My research and planning is slowing down quickly, not much more to do (besides performance wise)--I NEED A CAR!

My dilemma is, do I drop in the new engine as-is, untouched, to make sure it works and to get a baseline WHP... or, first pull the heads to stud them (or also get the heads worked over by CHRF) before dropping it in, thus avoiding doubling the engine pulling.

From my reading it appears head gaskets are an issue with these engines after 100k-140k miles so I was thinking of studding to head off the issue (pun intended). The other thing that has struck me in my reading is how much folks spend on a plethora of parts, never gaining expected (or hoped for) power increases, as much as $10K to $12K, without ever doing the two mods that would likely gain as much power at a fraction of the price and allow those other mods to have greater effect--new cams (and cam timing) and head porting/polishing (and 3-angle valve job and HP springs allowing the engine to rev to 8000). CHRF does that for $2800. Why are the heads usually the last mod; is it because the engine has to be pulled; is pulling the engine that difficult? The SRX doesn't look at all intimidating to me.
I'd be VERY surprised if anyone makes cams specifically for the lc3. I'd definitely be interested in a P/P of the heads, though. I do, however, doubt anyone's done so on the LC3, due to the labor involved. All these motors drop out the bottom due to the 90 degree V. No way you're pulling heads w/o doing so..Maybe TimmyC or Dr. Design has done heads/cams? I remember Dr. Design saying recently that they tested cams for the LC3 years back, but couldn't get the variable valves to do what they wanted them to do with the cam - the V/V's overrode the mod.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The cams I saw were reground not new but again this could have been for 1st gen not LC3, will have to go back for another look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts