Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. im lookin at trading my pride and joy a 2003 s10 with a full airride suspension for a 97 catera. the car has 92,000 on the body and has a 3.2L motor with 3,000 miles. the owner is gettin the strut conversion for it also. i dont know anything about these cars and i was just wondering if there are alot of common problomes with them. a friend of mine thinks im an idiot for even considering the trade and says the cars are loads of trouble. the only reason im selling my truck is because i have twins on the way and i need somthing else besides the two seater truck.ireally dont want to jump into a car that is going to have problomes and ill have to pour money into. i like how the car looks but im hesitant on if its gonna have alot of problomes. i know with every vehicle theres alot of problomes but who better to ask than the people who drive them everyday. it seems the car has been well taken care of and is still gettin new parts on it as we speak. here is the link to the cardomain of the owner. he will be keeping his rims and system which i dont mind. any insight to my questions would be helpful
aim- shropiejr
Thanks in advance
shrop

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2565612

and here is the truck i would be giving up for it.

http://www.mautofied.com/listing-100049627.htm

·
Registered
Cadillac 1997 catera
32 Posts
That cadyy looks wicked , i have a 97 catera too . That white catera looks really really good , but cateras are not reliable cars , so i personally would stay away , if i knew all that i know now about catera i would never buy it . search the google and ull see . also spend some quality time in this form check out posts from previous years,

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i have been searching around online and i am still split 50/50

this is the convo ive had with the owner of the car about my findings
i sent him a link to this thread as wel as another consumer reports site which is y he sites specific flaws in the typical vehicle.
i have changed his screen name for his privacy:

cadi (7:16:10 PM): I understand what everyone has problems says
cadi (7:16:22 PM): but the car has been throught its small problem stage
cadi (7:16:29 PM): i put the new motor in it
cadi (7:16:47 PM): and i spent about 2000 on electrical sensors and different things
ShropieJr (7:17:39 PM): like i said man i have nothing against you or your car at ALL. i reallllllly like the car which is y i keep coming back to it. im just trying to do my reasearch so i know what im gettin into
cadi (7:17:42 PM): one guy said the battery and headlights are hard to get to i dont quite understand that
ShropieJr (7:17:54 PM): haha i know some people are morons,
cadi (7:17:52 PM): yeah i understand
cadi (7:18:12 PM): the battery has a cover over it which u unsnap
cadi (7:18:15 PM): oh that was hard
ShropieJr (7:18:24 PM): lol
cadi (7:18:34 PM): and the headlights is seriously 6 screws 4 to the grill on on each side
ShropieJr (7:19:39 PM): ya, im not worried about stuff like that. im pretty mechanically inclined, i mean i did build the truck. im just worried about problomes down the road. i REALLY like how everyone on that review site said it was super safe
cadi (7:19:41 PM): im just trying to assure and inform u that i fixed a lot of small electrical problems
cadi (7:20:22 PM): also the sunroof is aftermarket so it wont have those problems
cadi (7:20:46 PM): im not sure who put it in but i love it it closes automatically when u turn the car off
cadi (7:21:04 PM): doesnt leak unless u have it open when its raining which is stupid anyways
ShropieJr (7:21:33 PM): hahah ya thats kina stupid to do lol
ShropieJr (7:22:08 PM): my girls step dad has had cadis for a long time and the only gripe he has is that they are expensive when they need work, otherwise he loves em
cadi (7:23:57 PM): yeah its not really that expensive to fix things
cadi (7:24:03 PM): u just have to know where to look
cadi (7:24:32 PM): yeah the dealership told me a alternator is like 1200 dollars but i found a lot on ebay for like 50 bucks
cadi (7:24:42 PM): also headlights were like 450 a piece
cadi (7:24:49 PM): i got my projectors for 200

·
Registered
35 Posts
That looks like a nice ride but the 97's are the worst of all of them. IMO I know I own one. Unless he dropped a different engine in it ( and it doesnt look like it from the pictures) you are going to have all the same old problems.

·
Registered
1999 Catera Sport
677 Posts
I wouldn't do a straight up trade, it doesn't look like he's done that much. You can go to a car auction (if you know someone with a dealer's lisence) or get one off ebay later than a 99 model (which are the best) and do everything he's done plus air ride and some other fun stuff for the asking price you've got. Looking at the two you should get his the way it is plus some serous cash. It's a nice car but it's a 97 :tisk: and not that much has been put into it. I say sell yours, but a 2000 or 01 and it's good stock, then if you decide you wanna have some fun with it then do so. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
97 Catera
31 Posts
as you can see the engine HAS indeed been replaced. its a 97 catera with a 3.2 liter. they didnt put 3.2 liters in these cars till 2001 : ) ..but heres some food for thought...engines been replaced, it has had extensive ICE (In Car Entertainment) modification, and judging from the look of the gaps in the doors not being uniform and the poor paint match id say this car has been in a serious wreck and abused (why change the engine with less than 90k miles on it...) it being a 97 most problems that could cause the engine to fail prematurely would have been covered by warrantee or TSB/Recall its my opinion that you NOT BUY THIS CAR. with twins on the way you need every bit of money you have and you shouldnt be getting into this car..you said it yourself that the guy is STILL putting replacement parts on this car..that means you will have to pick up where this guy left off and are you sure you want the safety of your children placed in the hands of some stranger that probably did the work himself and may not know what the heck hes doin...go buy a used car with some sort of remaining factory warrantee and for gods sake keep it stock so at least you know the car has the parts that were designed to be on it in the first place...i mean its only your children right?....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts