Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahoyhoy!
I just got my registration sorted out today, and thought it would be good to say hi to everyone! I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. I don't presently own a Cadillac, though I have wanted to for several years. I'm 21, will be 22 on October 18th. I can remember back in middle school when I wanted a 1976 Eldorado Convertible so bad I could taste it. That's pretty much what I set my sights on, but could never afford one. I was further dismayed when I realized that the floor boards rot out on them and need to be replaced- some kind of inherent fault with the convertible top. (Curiously the new XLR has a problem with it's retractable top related to moisture as well- spills water on the luggage in the trunk when it retracts...LOL)
Anyhoo, I've had a Mercury Grand Marquis for the last 3 years, just got an Audi a few months ago, but that was wrecked when an F-150 broadsided me (not my fault). So I fell back on the Mercury, but now it's got a gas leak! :bighead: Smelled it when I got out one day, saw it dripping out the back, somewhere at the front of the tank. So, now I'm looking for a Caddy again..lol.
Trying to figure out what Caddy would be best. I drove a 96 Deville- MAN was that nice. I was used to the coarser feel of the OHV engine in my Merc, and this Caddy just GLIDES- I was on the highway, getting up to speed and I look down at the speedo and I'm doing 70- had no idea. Damn good car. Took a bit to get used to the buttons behind the steering wheel..lol.
But my income isn't that good, I don't think I'd be earning enough to be stable financing a car. So, I'm looking at the older ones- 80's Broughams mainly. Seems like the pre '94 FWD's didn't age well, I've been disapointed with the ones I drove. I don't mind going pre 80 either, I would love an old 70's one- that's waht I've lusted after for years. Any reccomendations? My budget is like 3 grand max-pretty much rules the 90's ones out, right?
I'm hoping to learn more about the HT4100- it has a bad rep and I'd like to know why, and if it really IS as bad as they say. There's an 85 Eldo with low miles for $1500 in the paper, but I'm wary of the HT4100. Anyway, I don't want to get too technical here. I'll make a post in the technical section.
Thanks guys, hope to talk to you more, and am excited to be part of the club.

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Welcome..... Thanks for signing up.......

The 90s broughams can be had really cheap, and are probably the most reliable cadillac has made........

For 3 grand Id think you'd be able to get anything from early 90s........ Sedan deville maybe.......

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hello,
That's what I was hoping for, I really like the 90-92 Broughams. I checked out a 91 Brougham D'Elegance- my favorite. However, it wasn't in that great of condition- seats were worn, all 4 power window motors were really slow, going to need to be changed, paint had some quarter sized rust spots and was faded all around. But, I could tell that I would have liked the car if it was in better shape- I liied the electronic dash and climate control, and the better stereo. Also had the Chevy 350 in it (fairly rare, right?) I did like the car, but I just couldn't justify getting a car that was that needy. Had 120K on it, and the owner drove it for me, and was doing wierd things. Held the gas and brakes down at the same time :bonkers: Said he had to "dry the brakes off"?? I thought man, if he's been doing that for 12 years, who knows what this car's been through. Plus he wouldn't let me take it out of his driveway, since he didn't have plates on it, so I couldn't really test drive it.
Anyway, I'm hoping for something like that. In the meantime, I'll have to get the gas tank fixed on my Mercury Grand Marquis (leaking gas), until I can find the right car. I did see a '94 Deville in the Auto Trader magazine for $3000- the 4.9 is a good engine, right?

I have a Cadillac hood ornament on my dresser that continually reminds me of my ongoing mission...lol :cool:

Jon

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I just picked up a 92 eldorado wiht 67k miles on it for 4G's. I love it it is my first caddy. Im sure you can find one with more miles for your price range. Good luck if your close to NJ i know there is a lot if you search cars.com at least there was about a month ago. Good luck... happy motoring

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Josh,
Thanks for the idea, I punched in my area codes and found several Caddies not too far away.

Thanks,
Jon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Azriel