Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just wanted to drop in and say howdy.

I just picked up a 1968 Coupe de Ville (the 2nd one I've owned.) It's silver/gray with a black vinyl top and light blue interior, all original. In fact about the only non-original things I can find on it would be the radial tires (though it still has a BFG Silvertown spare in the trunk) and the add-on Craig 8-track player in the glovebox.

It made the 630+ mile trip home just fine, with only minor issues, the worst was just simple starter heat soak that made me wait about 45 minutes with the hood up twice before it would crank again. Being an old GM fan I'm used to this and will tend to the starter solenoid when I get a chance.

A few questions:

1. Was cruise a factory option on these cars? Mine doesn't have it and I'd love to add it using OEM parts if possible.

2. Didn't front discs come standard in '69, and are they swappable to the '68? If so what all has to come over? Spindle/rotor assembly, and I'll assume the MC needs to be changed as well?

3. Does anybody have a lower dash panel (where the radio goes) that has already been cut up for an aftermarket radio? I'd love to install an updated one without having to hide it away, but I will not cut up my dash trim to do it. Would prefer to find one that's already been butchered and just swap them and keep the original piece stored away.

Thanks!
Richard

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, they did have a cruise control option, but it would be hard to install. It was a rotating drum mounted on the dash ,left side of the steering wheel with the graduated speeds on the drum. Might be able to find one in a parts car, but installing may be tough. The disc brakes from a '69 should fit, but I would stay original with the drums. Great looking car, by the way. My Dad had a '68 when I was a kid. I remember him showing me the 472 and telling me that it was the biggest production engine in the world.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Front disc brakes were an option in 68. 69 and 70 will fit too.

The factory cruise also had a lot of hardware under the hood. Nice system though, you could dial your speed up and down, or set a 'reminder' that would tap back on the pedal when you exceeded the set speed. Which is kind of creepy feeling... it always made me jump out of skin. :shocked:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
DaveSmed