Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
Just joined today because I'm in need of some detailed instructions on removing my old waterpump and replacing it with a new one. I'll also be replacing my serpentine belt with a new one, and I have coolant and gasket sealant as well. How would I go about replacing the water pump and the belt? I'm not the most mechanically-minded person, but I know spending $300 to get a $75 part fixed is a bit steep, and I've heard that replacing water pumps isn't too bad--mainly just a bolt job right?

/edit: Forgot to mention (if it matters or no one knew), the engine is a V8 4.9L. Not sure if it's the Touring Edition or not, I'm pretty sure it's not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have no idea what I'm doing here.
I'm trying to get the serpentine belt off just so I can get to the water pump, but I can't find out HOW, (my told me "with tools" after I asked him how) and I can hardly get anywhere from the bottom or the top of the car. ANy help?

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood FWD / 2000 ETC / 2000 STS / 2006 STS V-8 1SF RWD
475 Posts
Hello...
There is a square notch on the serpentine belt tensioner. To release the tension on the belt, use a 1/2" breaker bar and the belt can easily be removed. Check to see if the belt routing diagram is visible on the sticker under your hood...if not, draw your own diagram. Further, I have found that a broomstick or yardstick is helpful in aligning the belt on the bottom side of the engine. It is longer and thinner than your arm. The waterpump is bolt-on. While you're at it...go ahead and change the thermostat and all radiatior hoses since the coolant is already drained. Be sure to add the coolant supplement in the lower radiator hose, and use a 50/50 mixture of green coolant and distilled water.
Post back about your experience with the water pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the experience is still going since I really have no idea what I'm doing
I'm trying to flush the radiator, and I managed to empty the coolant container but flushing the actual radiator is something I've yet to accomplish. I still can't access the belt tensioner, from what I can tell
/edit: I guess I don't really need to flush the radiator per se, just drain it out. either way I still don't know which tube to unhook
/edit2: I just realized I was looking at the water pump almost the entire time...wow. All I need to find now is the belt tensioner, wherever that may be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally managed to get the serpentine belt off after I realized that the belt tensioner was just above the belt itself. Oy.

Now all that's left is finding some way to get all those bolts from the old water pump

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,319 Posts
You might get at the water pump bolt easier through the wheel well after removing an access plate in the wheel well.

To help put the belt back on get a 3' piece of 1/2" copper water pipe and flatten the last 2-3" then bend it in a "L" to assist in moving the belt into place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WEll I finally finished today, so here are some tips:
bob k: There are three bolts on the pulley on the front of the water pump. I'd suggest leaving the serp. belt on before taking those off so you can get some resistance. I'd also suggest getting a car jack between the car's fender and the motor and jacking it up to get some more room. Otherwise that pulley I mentioned earlier will never come off, AND you'll get TONS more space to work. There's also a large bolt (large compared to the smallest ones on the pump, anyway) kinda covered by two AC pipes. You can move the left one pretty easily (on my car anyway, the '93 DeVille) to get at the big bolt, but you'll probably have to use an open-socket wrench and some small turns to get the thing off completely. There's a small bolt near that large one to the right of the other pipe. You'll have to use an open-socket wrench for that one too. The rest are pretty easy, but don't forget that there's a small bolt on the underside of the pulley. I had to get that one using an open-socket wrench and sense of touch. I would find it with my right middle finger then guide my wrench with my left hand and turn as far as I could. Took a while but that's the only way to get that sucker off. For the Torx bolts (there's two, to the left of the pulley section) I used a 7/32 allen wrench. I used an L-shaped allen wrench, since my allen wrench key set wouldn't fit the gap. Before I used the carjack I had to get the bottom Torx bolt from under the car, but with the carjack I could get to it without having to go under. And when you put your new pump on, I first applied the gasket/sealant to the pump, then applied sealant to the motor side. Then I put the gasket on and THEN the pump itself. It's messy, but that way the gasket didn't bend and I had enough room to actually get the pump and gasket on. Hope I helped

1 - 8 of 8 Posts