Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Seville SLS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a new member to this forum. I just bought my first Cadillac, a 1997 SLS with 80k miles on it. Aside from a couple of nicks on the body molding, some condensation in one of the tail light lenses and very slight wear on the drivers seat this thing could have come through a time warp direct from the showroom. It also runs and drives like a new car (so far). I have to say that reading through some of the threads here has got me a little scared. Do any of you not have problems with your cars? I do hope my new baby holds together for a while because although I didn't pay much for it I just love the thing. I am not sure why but I am more excited about my '97 SLS than most of the brand new cars I've bought.:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,793 Posts
People come here and to Discussions and Engines for problem solutions. The number of problem questions here compared to total Seville/Northstar production is statistically insignificant. Sure, for the person with the problem, their failure rate is 100%, but in the order of things, most of the cars are good, reliable transportation.

Use CF as a "How to" resource, not as a junkyard.

EDIT: So why am I and a few others here ??? Because we're gearheads, know a bit about cars and engines, don't mind passing on experience, and every post we read is a heads-up for our own car maintenance database.

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
There are lots of members here that don't currently have problems with our cars. Check out the number of posts up in the "V" section to better understand the difference between the auto enthusiast and casual owner / DIY wrencher. On the other side, there's hypochondria - it seems some members will use the forum to find problems with their cars. Me? I'm a habitual lurker and occasional drive-by poster.

:welcome:

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
welcome aboard

I am one of the ones who has been lucky to have had better luck if i bought one with a bad everyghing lol
but don't let that scare you
they are good cars when they are runing they will keep you safe and on the road but sometimes there are the ones who learn to have a love hate relationship with out caddys and i am one of them lol

·
Registered
1997 Seville SLS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank for the welcome guys. I hope I didn't jinx myself but this morning when I started it the first time of the day it idled a little rough and ran a little ragged for about 30 seconds then ran fine after that for the rest of the day. Anyone got any ideas?

Emilio

·
Registered
2002 White Diamond STS
105 Posts
EDIT: So why am I and a few others here ??? Because we're gearheads, know a bit about cars and engines, don't mind passing on experience, and every post we read is a heads-up for our own car maintenance database.
:thumbsup:

Have to say I've been lurking & reading for awhile, and posters like you are what make this place so great. I've been a car guy for 15 years and have been in almost every "scene" at some point; never have I seen such helpful members. Kudos to you, Ranger, and the others who put in the work to make this such a great resource! I hope to one day be on the side offering advice instead of just taking it ;)

Thank for the welcome guys. I hope I didn't jinx myself but this morning when I started it the first time of the day it idled a little rough and ran a little ragged for about 30 seconds then ran fine after that for the rest of the day. Anyone got any ideas?

Emilio
Just started having this problem myself, turns out it was a vacuum leak. Maybe you have a vacuum leak as well?

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
The SLS could probably use a good Throttle Body cleaning and a basic tune up! Again as the other guys have said most of the people that post are guys that have problems and don't often stick around long, but the responders are the ones who often don't have problems like myself, submariner, ranger or any of the other guys that really know their car and if we do encounter a problem we now how to fix it, with the exception of pup lol he's always tinkering with his seville

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
There are good car, don't let the Internet scare you. I did last summer a 10960K miles trip around US in my '97 STS (150K on the clock) with not one single issue. I am planing to ship the car to England and do the same thing around Europe.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
The SLS could probably use a good Throttle Body cleaning and a basic tune up! Again as the other guys have said most of the people that post are guys that have problems and don't often stick around long, but the responders are the ones who often don't have problems like myself, submariner, ranger or any of the other guys that really know their car and if we do encounter a problem we now how to fix it, with the exception of pup lol he's always tinkering with his seville
hahahaha Hey man i just have had a bad stretch during this recession lol

but hey im sticking around to learn as much as i can if its something i cant do then i take it where i can but i try to learn
hey Ranger got me to go out and get a presure tester even though i didnt seem to need it lol
so at least im trying

and who els can say they have a better running seville that is a 2000 sls ok maybe everyone at least untill Thursday when she will be back on the road i hope
after that happens then no one can

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
There are good car, don't let the Internet scare you. I did last summer a 10960K miles trip around US in my '97 STS (150K on the clock) with not one single issue. I am planing to ship the car to England and do the same thing around Europe.
Wow... Really? :D

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Eldorado Sport Coupe 4.6L Northstar "Y"
130 Posts
These cars are very reliable machines. People you will see on the internet will post or advertise northstars as a "nightmare" or "too much to handle" when indeed these are the same people that read these kind of things themselves from others and then turn around and continue this vicious cycle of sh*t talk themselves about it and on top of that believing it. You will see people even going to the extent of a Northstar motor being the "make it or break it" in a car purchase just because of "what they heard" about them. People will say:
-Northstars overheat all the time
-Northstars blow head gaskets
-Northstars dont last long
-Northstars are CRAP motors
TRUTH:
-Northstars normally run "hot" for there normal operation
-Some years of N*'s do blow head gaskets because of the head bolts but OVERALL this actually IS NOT THAT COMMON OF AN ISSUE!
-Northstars (no matter what anyone tells you) LAST EXTREMELY LONG as long as you properly maintain this vehicle (my mileage just hit 216k last week, not one single "engine" related issue yet)
-Northstars are not "CRAP" motors, but i guess we'll just let them say what they want, i mean.... its not like we have a motor thats rated TOP 10 ENGINES of pre millennium.

I have been driving this car for quite some time now and as long as you dont drive it (constantly) like a teenager.. you'll be fine! (you can always take some time to have fun with it though on the freeway! :D). If you DO run into issues with this car? i promise you they will be EXTREMELY SMALL and INSIGNIFICANT as long as you take good care of it. The small problems may annoy you, but keep in mind they will be SMALL ISSUES, and at sometimes... not all that easy to repair, but always remember that beauty wont keep you stranded on the side of the road :D

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado 2000 Jeep TJ 2000 Ford SD 4X4 Diesel crew cab
372 Posts
Welcome!!!! This 2 is my first Caddy 1999 Eldorado I have had for about 2 years now It is very normal for me to change cars about every 2 years but that will not happen with this one. This by far is the nicest car I have ever owned and I have had many every once and a while it will mess with you but the enjoyment it returns is well worth it. This is the first time I have not been looking to drive something new I see nothing out there at this time I would rather drive except the 2011 CTS V coupe but that will have to wait at least 5 years. Enjoy your new ride I love mine and I am likely to keep it once I up grade in the future.

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
To the OP:

With all that has been said, remember that your car:

1. is 14 years old.
2. may require a part that is difficult to find.
3. originally cost upwards of $50,000 and that is the maintenance cost benchmark, not the few grand you paid for it.
4. IS in the "higher risk" category for head gasket / bolt failure.

SEVERAL members have walked away from mint condition vehicles with low mileage due to overwhelming maintenance costs - a significantly low percentage but it DOES happen.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,496 Posts
:welcome: Just to ease your anxiety my 2001 STS has 232k under its belt and is now up for sale as I just purchased a 2004 CTS. The N* will last a LONG time if it is properly cared for. I replaced both coil packs, water pump, crank shaft sensors, radiator, cross over gaskets, PCV valve, and the FPR. None of which are parts that will last forever and were all orginal at time of replacement. Motor itself still runs like a top and will roast the front tires with ease, can't say that about the struts/shocks though....232k+original suspension=no more cadillac float :(

·
Registered
1997 Seville SLS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I don't know what to think now. I just took my SLS to work last night for the first time. It's a 125 mile round trip commute (all freeway, no traffic). The car was such a joy to drive. Not only does it look like a new car it drives like a new car and according to the computer averaged 29.2 mpg. I am already lovin' this car so I sure hope that I am one of the lucky ones that has little trouble. My plan was to try and keep the car nice, keep it properly maintained and drive it as long as I could, repairing and rebuilding as needed. I am not sure that's practical now, I guess it never occurred to me that parts would be a problem or that labor at an independent mechanic would cost more than other cars. I really hate the idea of driving this beauty into the ground (35,000 miles a year) so I will continue with my original plan and hope for the best. I guess I don't have that much $ into it. I would have spent more in 10 months on my last car payment than I payed for this car so if it lasts over a year I'll be ahead of the game but I hope to get much more out of it.

Emilio

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,793 Posts
35,000 miles a year is 3 oil/filter changes, a coolant exchange every 12 months, tires when needed and plenty of gasoline. Other than that, keep it clean and detailed, drive the snot out of it, and have fun.

If you cannot document a replacement of the water pump tensioner pulley in the last couple of years, put that on your spring to-do list. Half hour of tinkering. Pulley only ($25), not the whole tensioner ($55).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts