Cadillac Owners Forum banner

501 - 518 of 518 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV, 2018 Escalade
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #501 (Edited)
I wish i had something to offer, though it seems you are covering the bases as quickly as possible.
I try, It's the retired Army officer coming out in me. Plan for everything- Adjust as necessary.

Can't get my hand up in the fender well to try and push on the back side of the dent, not sure if pulling the interior panel is going to gain me any access either. Getting the suspension fixed and making sure the rear end isn't hurt is first. Making it pretty again is second.

The tire is out for delivery so I'll be getting that today, the new coolant tank is out for delivery too!!
The new rims and the control arm are going to be delivered tomorrow.
I need to locate the TPMS sensors tonight in the basement.
So everything looks like it is falling into place getting the parts for the Caddy. I still need to finish the brakes on the 79 Ford F100 this weekend too.

·
Registered
2004 ESV
873 Posts
If the GMT900 is like the GMT800, the rear HVAC unit is going to cover most of the area around the passenger rear wheel well. Behind is the HVAC unit, and around the arch and in front are ducts.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #503
Searched the basement for the TPMS sensors and could not find them, I will do another look around down there tomorrow but I ordered another set in case I don't. Problem is they won't arrive till Sunday. The tire store may have the rubber stems and then we can just move the sensors. They could be on my tool box at work but that's a 30 minute drive one way just to look. Coolant tank arrived today along with the new tire. Going to hopefully finish the brake install on the 79 Ford F100 to kill time until the rims and control arm arrive.

I have a big suction cup used for glass installs that I might try on the rear quarter panel dent.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #504
The new rims and the control arm arrived today, too late to work on the truck since it's at my work.
I did manage to get the brake system completed on the 79 Ford!!! It has new everything from the master cylinder back, and I mean everything.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #505
The TPMS sensors arrived at 2PM today so I loaded everything up in the 18 Caddy and headed off to the tire store. I now have the 2 new rims with tires mounted and balanced, the new control arm and the coolant tank. Fingers crossed this will get the mechanicals fixed, then worry about the dents.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,028 Posts
Bending and flaring break lines is no fun. However, it is super rewarding when its done and looks really nice.

I've never bought or used a brake line flaring tool. I used to have a parts guy nearby that was so good that he knew the fitting sizes on each end of a line and would sell me the lengths that I could piece together what I needed without the special tooling. I miss that guy. Advanced and AutoZone moved into town and killed the his independent store.

Whaddya think? Going to replace the door or have a PDR buy buff it out?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #507
Bending and flaring break lines is no fun.
I bought the whole pre-bent set from Bronco Graveyard for right around 100 bucks if I remember right. Match up the new one to the old one, remove the old one, install the new one. No cutting, bending or guessing, easy peasy!! Wife was in town when I needed to bleed the brakes. I cut a 2x6 and then pumped the pedal a few times then wedged the wood on the pedal and then onto the edge of the seat. Took me a little longer by myself but it got the job done!

99 percent sure I am going to get the used one from the salvage yard. Already "07 pearl white so should be plug and play. Then I just have to get the piece between the door and tire fixed. The running board is not broken from what I see of it. I just think where it mounts is bent down. I can tell more tomorrow once I get that side jacked up to install the trailing arm.

Got home from the tire store and my almost 5 year old son insisted that we get out and put up the Christmas inflatables, so you know what I did!!

·
Registered
2004 ESV
873 Posts
Gotta put up the inflatables in my yard as well. I did the max impact tonight, which are those LED projectors that shine onto surfaces. I pointed 4 of them into the trees. Maximum impact for minimum effort.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #509
I put up one but we also have a Mickey Mouse LED one that we used when we went camping during halloween last year at Ft Wilderness. Wife wants to put it out tonight. We also have lights to hang on the house. I have a full plate already..

I have new brakes and a few worn suspension parts to install on the Benz
Fix the 07 Caddy for the mom in-law
Keeping working on the 79 Ford.
No rest for the weary.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #510

Here is the old trailing arm compared to the new trailing arm. I just about have the new one installed.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #511 (Edited)
I got it all put back together, I installed the new coolant tank, relearned the TPMS sensors and then took it for a drive. I got it up to 70 and it drives just fine, no strange noises, grinding or pulling. The steering wheel is just a little bit off center now but I might have just dodged a big bullet, especially to my wallet. Body shop quoted me $1800.00 to fix the dents, around $1300.00 if we replace the door. The body work will have to wait till after the holidays.

While I was at the tire store yesterday I asked them how much the change the oil in the 2018 escalade. He said with a military discount it would be $100 bucks. I was like no thanks I'll do it myself, thinking I could save some money. Stopped at the autoparts store on the way home and it was $80 bucks for the oil and filter. If I would have known that I would have paid the extra 20 and let them do it. Live and learn.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,791 Posts
Why so much? $30 in oil and $10 oil filer around here. That’s using NAPA 0w20 Dexos oil.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #513
You have me thinking that I need to check my receipt.

·
Registered
2004 ESV
873 Posts
I get the Amazon Basics (Essentials?) high mileage full synthetic. 6 quarts usually runs around $25, and a mobile 1 oil filter is another $10.

I'm curious what oil you purchased.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I paid about the same for my oil change I used penn grade 5w-30 and a k&n oil filter since I’m getting about 11k an oil change why not spend extra on what you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #516
Platinum oil filter $12.50
5Qt bottle of Mobile 1 Truck/SUV full synthetic $32.00
2 ea 1qt bottles $20
Another at $5.00

I am paying way too much for this caddy to go cheap on the engine oil.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac Escalade Premium AWD
27 Posts
Wow, I'm new to this site after purchasing our 2014 short box, used a week ago.

what a great read through your whole thread!

Good luck getting that body work corrected.

Tony

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #518
Thanks!!
Many long weekends and money spent but it was worth it. I'll get it fixed back up for the mom in-law. Of all the vehicles I've owned over the years for some reason I have a special bond with this one. I just love pearl white ESV's.

501 - 518 of 518 Posts