Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got sick of that phoney cheao ass leather gm tried to pass off in our CTS'.

today i dropped the caddy of to get it reupholstered in new leather.

i went with a very nice, high quality calf skin leather. i have the ebony interior (the dark gray) in the caddy. i went with a color they call dark graphite. its a little darker than the ebony. i'll pick the car up friday and post some pics on saturday or sunday...

·
Registered
44 Posts
That brings up an interesting question... do some of the CTS' (03's? base models?) have fake leather? I have heard that but not seen it personally. My 06 has nice quality leather in my opinion... I know the Vs have fake suede inserts, and if I had a V I'd have the seats redone with real suede.

I also know the CTS was available with cloth seats for the export model... some guy on cardomain has a CTS in South America I believe, and it's called a "CTS Comfort" with dark grey cloth.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I think he is calling the leather in your CTS cheap. It's alright for consumer vehicles, but nothing compared to the luxury of a Maybach or Bentley.

I am interested in the cost of your little conversion.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$3000

and yes i think there are some early models with fake leather. i remember seeing it as an option on the 03 models.

but in my opinion all 03-07 cadillac CTS' leather falls way short of other luxury car leather interiors. my wife has a 2005 lincoln aviator, and the quality of leather on hers compared to mine is actually embarasing. also, i rented a 08 cts on a trip a couple weeks back and cadillac finally got it right in the cts. that is one reason i opted to get my interior redone ASAP.

i have had people get in my car and think that my leather was vinyl. even the guys at the interior shop couldn't believe cadillac was trying to pass this junk off as leather. they actually said it a little nicer than that.

but bashing the leather aside. i loved everything on my cts from the day i got it except the leather. its bugged me since day one so i decided to fix it...

·
Cadillac Maniac
13,753 Posts
$3000

and yes i think there are some early models with fake leather. i remember seeing it as an option on the 03 models.

but in my opinion all 03-07 cadillac CTS' leather falls way short of other luxury car leather interiors. my wife has a 2005 lincoln aviator, and the quality of leather on hers compared to mine is actually embarasing. also, i rented a 08 cts on a trip a couple weeks back and cadillac finally got it right in the cts. that is one reason i opted to get my interior redone ASAP.

i have had people get in my car and think that my leather was vinyl. even the guys at the interior shop couldn't believe cadillac was trying to pass this junk off as leather. they actually said it a little nicer than that.

but bashing the leather aside. i loved everything on my cts from the day i got it except the leather. its bugged me since day one so i decided to fix it...
Does it look exactly the same? I'm guessing it's much softer.. Good leather is very important to me as well.. Something Cadillac hasn't had until recently..

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm not talking about bentley or maybach leather. honestly i've never been in either one of them. i'm saying the leather they put in the 03-07 cts' is not near as nice as other comparable luxury vehicles. like a mercedes, infinity, lexus, lincoln, or even the newer 08 cts'.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does it look exactly the same? I'm guessing it's much softer.. Good leather is very important to me as well.. Something Cadillac hasn't had until recently..
EXACTLY! thank you! i couldn't have said it better myself!

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Mr.Please, I hope youve bought some decent products to take care of that leather. You can't get by with the cheap Lexol or Mothers or Meguairs products anymore....
And say what you like about Mercedes is better this, and Lincoln is better that...
Look at a last gen C-class, it had crappy leather, then check out an S-class with great leather. The CTS had sub-par leather. How about the DTS? It had better leather optionally then the S-class! If you want the best quality, buy the best model...and the CTS is entry level...

stacykathryn Replacing the UltraSuede with real suede would be a bad idea. Fake suede (ultrasuede, microsuede, alcantara) lasts much longer then suede. It doesn't wear smooth near as quickly as real suede does...

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I was just trying to make a point, that's all.

$3,000 should get you some nice leather though. Like, really nice.

Eagerly awaiting pictures on Saturday!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I dont see why this really matters...the padding is what makes the seat softer and more comfortable right? The only time this would be an advantage is if you are rubbing your leather with your hand..

·
Registered
644 Posts
I dont see why this really matters...the padding is what makes the seat softer and more comfortable right? The only time this would be an advantage is if you are rubbing your leather with your hand..
Maybe he does more than just rub the seat leather :eyebrow:

-GT

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
concorso: i've gotta dis agree with you man.. i agree more with what lord cadillac said "Good leather is very important to me as well.. Something Cadillac hasn't had until recently.."

my dad has a 2004 cadillac deville and the leather in it is crap as well. thats not an entry level luxury car is it? granted it is better than my CTS, but as Lord Cadillac pointed out that cadillac hasn't had good leather until recently. and also against your argument. the entry level 2008 cadillac CTS has GREAT leather!! so your wrong again about entry level luxury cars not having good leather. and last i have been in a couple new C-class mercedes and the leather is NOTHING to complain about, as is the 03-07 CTS' leather.

but i do agree with protecting the leather. the shop installing it for me has some awsome leather protectant products they are giving me to keep the leather nice for as long as i have it...

Mr.Please, I hope youve bought some decent products to take care of that leather. You can't get by with the cheap Lexol or Mothers or Meguairs products anymore....
And say what you like about Mercedes is better this, and Lincoln is better that...
Look at a last gen C-class, it had crappy leather, then check out an S-class with great leather. The CTS had sub-par leather. How about the DTS? It had better leather optionally then the S-class! If you want the best quality, buy the best model...and the CTS is entry level...

stacykathryn Replacing the UltraSuede with real suede would be a bad idea. Fake suede (ultrasuede, microsuede, alcantara) lasts much longer then suede. It doesn't wear smooth near as quickly as real suede does...

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I can agree with Mr please.

·
Cadillac Maniac
13,753 Posts
To people like us (who hold leather in very high regard) - we can't understand HOW you can't tell the difference. "We" get in a car and really feel the leather as we're getting in. And - we're very conscientious of what other people think when they get in and feel the leather. All the while, it's probably very rare that anybody actually cares. Still, we like to be prepared. :p

I know it probably doesn't make much sense to most people - but to us, it's really important. I can definitely tell the difference between expensive leather and cheap leather - like the stuff on my 05 Escalade ESV.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
concorso: i've gotta dis agree with you man.. i agree more with what lord cadillac said "Good leather is very important to me as well.. Something Cadillac hasn't had until recently.."

my dad has a 2004 cadillac deville and the leather in it is crap as well. thats not an entry level luxury car is it? granted it is better than my CTS, but as Lord Cadillac pointed out that cadillac hasn't had good leather until recently. and also against your argument. the entry level 2008 cadillac CTS has GREAT leather!! so your wrong again about entry level luxury cars not having good leather. and last i have been in a couple new C-class mercedes and the leather is NOTHING to complain about, as is the 03-07 CTS' leather.

but i do agree with protecting the leather. the shop installing it for me has some awsome leather protectant products they are giving me to keep the leather nice for as long as i have it...
Im not talking about the new C-class or the new CTS. You have a 03-07 CTS with crappy leather. The same years C-class had similarly crappy leather. Both the new CTS and new c-class have good leather, but that doesnt really matter here.

I understand your dad had a Deville...but again, did he have the optional semi aniline or even the optional full aniline leather, like DKoz has in his STS? No, not at all, he had the base coated/pigmented leather which isn't that great. The Tuscany leather in Dkoz's STS is better then the standard leather in an S-class. If you dad had wanted good leather, he could have gotten it.

Cadillac hasnt had good leather STANDARD until lately. Optionally, its been around for a few years. Sadly, the CTS didnt and doesnt get this leather optionally, as Im sure alot would buy it...

Seriously, you can't compare an older CTS to a new C-class and say that everyone besides Cadillac is using good leather...
By the way, the present gen TL and G35 don't use as good leather as in the CTS. The 3-series has optionally nicer leather then the CTS and the best in its class.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
To people like us (who hold leather in very high regard) - we can't understand HOW you can't tell the difference. "We" get in a car and really feel the leather as we're getting in. And - we're very conscientious of what other people think when they get in and feel the leather. All the while, it's probably very rare that anybody actually cares. Still, we like to be prepared. :p

I know it probably doesn't make much sense to most people - but to us, it's really important. I can definitely tell the difference between expensive leather and cheap leather - like the stuff on my 05 Escalade ESV.
Who said ANYTHING about not being able to tell the difference or that it wasnt worth it?

You CAN NOT compare an older car to a newer car and judge a whole brand accordingly...

The first gen CTS had average leather in its class, and it was subpar leather. There was NO car in its class at the time that offered what I would call good leather. So no the CTS wasnt great, but neither was anything else in its class.

Seriously, how many CADILLAC fans dont realize that the STS and DTS have some of the nicest leather in the industry available, all you have to do is buy the option on the parts list! Problem solved!

Softer doesn't neccesarily mean better either...but Im sure the 'WE' knew this...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts