Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can have my local ace hardware cut a new cadillac key for me if I buy it...but because of the PK3 transmitter key, can I program the new key myself somehow using the existing keys? Or must the dealer use their Scan Tool?

I'd look this up in my FSM but it is not near me at the moment...

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
You can do it yourself, assuming key has chip in it. (Some of the aftermarket keys do not have chip.)

I don't want to give you my instructions because somehow I screwed my new aftermarket key up. Instructions are extremely simple, but I ....

Someone else should chime in here. Any GM parts dept will do it for you for free.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Start the engine with your existing key

Turn off engine and remove key

Within 15 seconds, insert new key and turn to "RUN"

After all the chimes end, turn key to "OFF"

Key is now programmed and ready to use.

Don

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Start the engine with your existing key

Turn off engine and remove key

Within 15 seconds, insert new key and turn to "RUN"

After all the chimes end, turn key to "OFF"

Key is now programmed and ready to use.

Don
That is exactly what I wanted to say, but I got confused. Glad you picked up the ball.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
That is exactly what I wanted to say, but I got confused. Glad you picked up the ball.
No problem. I needed an extra key for my car (I always carry a spare in my wallet, just in case) and found the instructions somewhere on line. Many folks don't know how it is done, and just go to the dealer for an extra key. About $80 later, they have one. I got mine for $23. A locksmith wanted $45 for a key. The way to go is Ebay for the key, and have a locksmith cut it. Cheapest way to go.

Don

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Don't they have different chips in the keys or all the chips the same? If different chips, how do I know which to buy? i have 96 SLS

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't they have different chips in the keys or all the chips the same? If different chips, how do I know which to buy? i have 96 SLS
The "chip" in the key is really just a resistor, one of fifteen kinds. The easiest to way determine which key you need is to use an ohmmeter on an existing resistor pellet and measure the resistance. I'd surmise that a dealership with your VIN could probably tell you, too.

Check out this link: http://www.thirdgen.org/vats_passkey_system

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
My key is a Pass Key III key, or PK3. That is stamped right on the key. In this instance, any key stamped PK3 will work. It doesn't matter if it has a Cadillac logo, Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, GM, or whatever. As long as it is PK3.

Don

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How can the key have a resistor inside it...resistors are static, they don't change...or is that wrong?

Thanks Dadillac, and others. I found keys on ebay but the Dealer wants the same price $23.

·
Registered
90 Posts
How can the key have a resistor inside it...resistors are static, they don't change...or is that wrong?
Not quite. If you want to be technical, there are resistive materials that change according to temperature, light, etc. But that doesn't really apply to the GM PASSKey system. Upon engine cranking, the anti-theft module in the vehicle checks the key resistance. If it matches the expected resistance, the car starts and all is well. If not, the ignition is locked out and any additional attempts to start the car (even with the correct key) will disable the starting system. GM interspersed fifteen different resistor pellets to add another level of complexity. In other words, a thief needs to have the proper key pattern PLUS the correct resistor pellet.

Now, PASSKey III is a different animal and uses a transponder in the head of the key. There's a validation procedure between the key and the theft deterrant module that allows engine starting.

I didn't think GM had PK3 in '98. Either way, I was mainly replying to SLS GOLD's post regarding key selection. I'm pretty sure his '96 uses the older system.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

Thanks Dadillac, and others. I found keys on ebay but the Dealer wants the same price $23.
Is that for real? Is that the key, cut, and programmed? If it is just let them do it. I have never heard of a dealer doing a key for less than $70.

Don

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This was according to my dad who called asking how much my new PK3 key would cost, but he spoke to the parts guy, not the service guys. So I am assuming the $23 is just for the key itself. Programming I'm sure is more.

I'll call them again on Monday for the price on just the key...and let you know if the programming of the PK3 key works once I get it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts