Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Sedan DeVille 4.9
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday, I gave the wife's van a jump. Since then, my 93 Deville has had problems when I turn her off. "Cassie" emits a buzzing sound, and everything shuts down immediately. (no 10 minute delay) I would turn the key to the on position, and dash lights are dim, and Cassie gets very little power. After 5 minutes she starts up and runs fine. Where do I begin to look for potential problems? Battery is fine, fuses not blown. Appreciate all you fine people do here. :)

·
Registered
1973 Cadillac Hearse, 2002 Cadillac DHS
288 Posts
Re: New issue.

If the battery is good, I would start by checking the battery cables to make sure they're tight. Perhaps when you connected the jumper cables one of them became knocked loose just enough to almost make contact. Better yet, remove them, wire brush them along with the battery terminals and then tighten them back up. I have managed to knock battery cables loose in the past like that if they were a little loose to begin with.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Re: New issue.

If the battery is good, I would start by checking the battery cables to make sure they're tight. Perhaps when you connected the jumper cables one of them became knocked loose just enough to almost make contact. Better yet, remove them, wire brush them along with the battery terminals and then tighten them back up. I have managed to knock battery cables loose in the past like that if they were a little loose to begin with.
That's good advice! Also, does your car have any kind of security system? My 1992 says "security" on the dash when I start her (by the way, her name is Helena Belle) but I haven't researched it to see exactly what the security feature entails. I probably should before it locks me out one day. A loose cable with intermittent current can trigger a security system. I really don't have any other ideas unless something shorted out, but since it still startes after a few minutes, I couldn't imagine what could have gotten fried.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts