·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
None of those actually interest me right now. I'm very disappointed that the Nano was bastardized into a video player which it did not need to be. Even then, Id be ok with it if I could get the 16gb FLASH memory in the Nano, but for now that size is reserved for the Touch only. This is a problem for me because my nano just sits in my car in the heat, gets banged around, and generally beat on all the time. This leaves a hard drive ipod out of the question for me, but I dont want something the size and delicacy of the Touch banging around or getting stolen either. If theres a good remote solution that comes out for the touch I guess Ill get that.

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
I'm sticking with my 30GB video, and picking up an iphone soon now that they took $200 off.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
All of these announcements have been speculated for the last couple of weeks now.

The iPod Touch is essentially the same exact device as the iPhone, only slightly shorter and thinner due to the fact that it does not house a camera or a cellular transceiver. It uses the same multi-touch display as the iPhone as well as the same stripped down version of the Mac OS. It is wifi enabled and still comes with the Safari web-browser. The biggest part of the announcement concerning the iPod Touch is the WiFi iTunes store. Where as before the only way to download songs from iTunes was to do so through your computer and then transfer them to your iPod/iPhone, now one can download songs from the store directly from the device while on a wireless network.

It is attractively priced and is a much needed offering to the lineup. Many people wanted a device similar to the iPhone but without the actual phone part. 16GB is a reasonable amount of storage and you can't fault Apple for not going any higher. If they were to offer a 32GB version it would have added about $500 to the cost of the device. A lot of people don't realize that flash memory is not abundant, there is a relative shortage of supply compared to the amount of demand. Apple already holds claim to 25% of global flash memory production leaving every other manufacturer, from computer makers to consumer electronics firms vying for the rest. Flash memory manufacturing simply isn't up to the task of supplying everyone as much as they need. Add on top of that the shortage problems caused by the Samsung power outages and the problem gets even worse.

The new nano was also expected. Apple had already announced it's intentions of moving it's entire line to have video capabilities. There was no possible way for them to add the functionality to the nano without increasing it's screen size. Sure it's wider than the previous nano, but this is still a very tiny device, just think a little wider than a 20-piece gum pack at a quarter of the thickness.

The iPod-iPod, is now the iPod "Classic," which now offers capacities of up to 160GB of storage. It could be that I'm just not keeping up with the Jones' these days, but that's an impressive amount. It just goes to show Moore's law is still in full swing.

The biggest news out of all of this is the iPhone's price drop to $399, and that's for the 8GB model. And don't think it's because they weren't selling, in fact it's just the opposite. It shows that Apple has already recouped a substantial portion of it's R&D costs and is adjusting the price accordingly. The only people upset by this, are of course the one's who paid full admission to get the device early. Jobs & Co. is going after this market at full steam, and they're doing a great job at it.

Mark my words, keep an eye out for manufacturers to drop out of the smartphone market. For the past few months they've been scrambling to come out with a phone to compete with the iPhone at the $599 price point, now all of the sudden they have to do it at $399. There's already talk of M$ buying.. err.. "merging" with RIM. If it happens it would be spun as the collaboration of two market leaders in an effort to take down/fend off Apple. Let me tell you all something, when the competition starts merging in order to compete, you've already won.

I'm actually predicting that they're doing this to ensure they clear out all inventories in time for v.2 iPhone for the start of the Christmas shopping season, or at the very latest January's MacWorld Expo.

Either way Apple finally has a complete, comprehensive lineup for their iPod line, and that's a good thing. Say whatever you want about Apple, or their computers, or their software, or their other devices, the fact remains they know how to make money and they know how to make people buy their products.

Just as a disclaimer - I own neither an iPod, nor an iPhone (although at $399 it's awfully tempting now). I'm just a happy Mac user since the good old days, and a happy shareholder since early '97.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
I might be interested in the Touch - think I'll wait a bit though. I think the others are already available for order.

Could be a good alternative to toting a laptop on a trip if all one's interested in is checking email & a bit of surfing. I've already ported all of my accounts to gmail & the last few hotels I've stayed in were covered by wifi.

Understand that whatever third-party applications work with the iPhone will work on the Touch as well & more are being developed quite quickly.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
All of these announcements have been speculated for the last couple of weeks now.

The iPod Touch is essentially the same exact device as the iPhone, only slightly shorter and thinner due to the fact that it does not house a camera or a cellular transceiver. It uses the same multi-touch display as the iPhone as well as the same stripped down version of the Mac OS. It is wifi enabled and still comes with the Safari web-browser. The biggest part of the announcement concerning the iPod Touch is the WiFi iTunes store. Where as before the only way to download songs from iTunes was to do so through your computer and then transfer them to your iPod/iPhone, now one can download songs from the store directly from the device while on a wireless network.

It is attractively priced and is a much needed offering to the lineup. Many people wanted a device similar to the iPhone but without the actual phone part. 16GB is a reasonable amount of storage and you can't fault Apple for not going any higher. If they were to offer a 32GB version it would have added about $500 to the cost of the device. A lot of people don't realize that flash memory is not abundant, there is a relative shortage of supply compared to the amount of demand. Apple already holds claim to 25% of global flash memory production leaving every other manufacturer, from computer makers to consumer electronics firms vying for the rest. Flash memory manufacturing simply isn't up to the task of supplying everyone as much as they need. Add on top of that the shortage problems caused by the Samsung power outages and the problem gets even worse.

The new nano was also expected. Apple had already announced it's intentions of moving it's entire line to have video capabilities. There was no possible way for them to add the functionality to the nano without increasing it's screen size. Sure it's wider than the previous nano, but this is still a very tiny device, just think a little wider than a 20-piece gum pack at a quarter of the thickness.

The iPod-iPod, is now the iPod "Classic," which now offers capacities of up to 160GB of storage. It could be that I'm just not keeping up with the Jones' these days, but that's an impressive amount. It just goes to show Moore's law is still in full swing.

The biggest news out of all of this is the iPhone's price drop to $399, and that's for the 8GB model. And don't think it's because they weren't selling, in fact it's just the opposite. It shows that Apple has already recouped a substantial portion of it's R&D costs and is adjusting the price accordingly. The only people upset by this, are of course the one's who paid full admission to get the device early. Jobs & Co. is going after this market at full steam, and they're doing a great job at it.

Mark my words, keep an eye out for manufacturers to drop out of the smartphone market. For the past few months they've been scrambling to come out with a phone to compete with the iPhone at the $599 price point, now all of the sudden they have to do it at $399. There's already talk of M$ buying.. err.. "merging" with RIM. If it happens it would be spun as the collaboration of two market leaders in an effort to take down/fend off Apple. Let me tell you all something, when the competition starts merging in order to compete, you've already won.

I'm actually predicting that they're doing this to ensure they clear out all inventories in time for v.2 iPhone for the start of the Christmas shopping season, or at the very latest January's MacWorld Expo.

Either way Apple finally has a complete, comprehensive lineup for their iPod line, and that's a good thing. Say whatever you want about Apple, or their computers, or their software, or their other devices, the fact remains they know how to make money and they know how to make people buy their products.

Just as a disclaimer - I own neither an iPod, nor an iPhone (although at $399 it's awfully tempting now). I'm just a happy Mac user since the good old days, and a happy shareholder since early '97.
Actually Apple anticipated there would be backlash over the need to drop the price of the iPhone, and though Steve planned to do nothing initially, he has now offered up a 100.00 in-store credit for anyone that paid full price. In addition to that, anyone who bought one within the past 14 days is of course eligible for a full refund, or if opened, a difference of the purchase prices. Apple is quickly learning that it's "stick to one price" strategy wont work very well in the impossibly competitive phone market.

For the sake of keeping things simple, I prefer Windows for daily use and also for the cost of the hardware, but most of my lifestyle electronics are Apple products when possible.

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
I prefer Apple products and have been using them at home since 1994, but I use Windows on the road and at the office.

So far, my 30GB iPod video has been PERFECT. Since it isn't full and I mostly just listen to music, I have no plans to upgrade it. Being touch screen operated, the iPod Touch wouldn't be as good for use in the car.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Actually Apple anticipated there would be backlash over the need to drop the price of the iPhone, and though Steve planned to do nothing initially, he has now offered up a 100.00 in-store credit for anyone that paid full price. In addition to that, anyone who bought one within the past 14 days is of course eligible for a full refund, or if opened, a difference of the purchase prices. Apple is quickly learning that it's "stick to one price" strategy wont work very well in the impossibly competitive phone market.

For the sake of keeping things simple, I prefer Windows for daily use and also for the cost of the hardware, but most of my lifestyle electronics are Apple products when possible.
Then that was a quick change of heart because as of this morning, Jobs said to USA Today:

"If they bought it this morning, they should go back to where they bought it and talk to them," he said. "If they bought it a month ago, well, that's what happens in technology."

And concerning Apple's cutthroat behavior with the device:

"We're also willing to be more aggressive. We think we have a real winner, and customers love the iPhone," he explained. "The product's been extremely well accepted; we want to put the pedal to the metal. A holiday season is approaching; we'd have to wait another year for another one."

Personally, I don't agree with it. If someone bought the phone within Apple's standard 14 day return policy, then yes they should be refunded the difference. This is how they have always operated with all of their products and I don't expect them to do any different.

I agree completely with his original stance, if they bought a month ago, well, that's what happens in technology. We're talking cellular handsets, not computers, the product cycles are a lot smaller in this market.

I've been bitten by Apple more than once over the years. The first time was when I bought my Quadra in Dec. of '93, I remember I scrimped together $2400 just so I could enjoy a blazing fast, 33MHz full-fledged '040 (with the floating point unit) running on an full speed 33MHz bus, she was a beaut. Do you know what happened? They released the first PowerMacs in March of '94, over a course of three months my cutting edge machine was effectively obsolete. Because of that the prices of all but the highest-end machine plummeted, by the summer of that year one could pick up my $2400 machine about $14-1500 depending on where you went and who you knew. That's $1000 in six months and keep in mind we're talking one thousand, "1993" dollars. And these people have the balls to complain about $200? But did I make a huge fuss about it? Of course not, that's what happens in technology. That machine remained just as useable as the day I bought it despite it's warp-speed depreciation and Apple thanked me by supporting the Quadras up to OS 8, but not by giving me a refund.

The second time they got me was in Aug/Sept of '00 when I again scrimped and saved $3200 to buy the top-of-the-line 500MHz G3 "Pismo" PowerBook. I remember they were $3500 brand new and I was able to get mine as an open box return. Luckily with the internet becoming more ubiquitous at that time, and still reeling over the Quadra I was able to become more knowledgeable about my purchase and what Apple had in the pipeline. At that time Motorola was having problems getting large batches of G4s to Apple and the processor ran hot, really hot (for the time) so it was a pretty safe assumption that the PowerBooks would remain in the G3 family for at least another iteration, if not two. Can we see where this is going? January '01 comes and with it the nifty, new, thin, titanium, powerful, G4 PowerBooks. PowerBook G3 prices sank, especially when the white G3 iBooks were released at 500MHz that May for around $1200. So once again, within a period of 4-6 months Apple did me dirty. No refund, no apology, nothing. Yet somehow I managed to survive.

So yeah.. sorry for the lengthy ramble but it's just that I've read and heard a lot of people saying things like "this just isn't right." and "this isn't how Apple really is." And I say bull.. this is Apple, this is how they've always been, this is the nature of the beast. I think it was stupid for Jobs to kowtow to them when there was no reason to whatsoever. People shouldn't get a refund just because they *chose* to go spend $600 on a phone. If they don't like it, tough, in two years I'm sure Nokia and Motorola would love to have them back.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,042 Posts
my iPod is acting up. It won't update my songs and doesn't show up in iTunes (but does show up in windows).

I've tried all of the troubleshooting stuff on the website but still not working.

Anyone have any bright ideas before a stomp it to pieces?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
OS8 was great. I don't care what anyone says. It was quick and tidy, despite being low tech.
Neat, tidy, small ram footprint, HFS+... great little system. Did you know that it was originally meant to be System 7.7? After Jobs came back and was bent on shutting down the clones he purposely renamed it "OS 8" to screw them all out of their contracts, as they specifically pertained to System 7. Yet another example of Jobs not caring about dicking people over! Still a great system though, 8.1 was rock-solid.

my iPod is acting up. It won't update my songs and doesn't show up in iTunes (but does show up in windows).

I've tried all of the troubleshooting stuff on the website but still not working.

Anyone have any bright ideas before a stomp it to pieces?
What model and what generation is it?

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Zune doesnt work on the Mac. Thats ghay as hell.
there is software that will read from the Zune. writing to the Zune cannot be that far off.

I have had lots of problems with three different ipods. I have had not a single problem with my zune. And of course, wma sound quality blows away mp3, and is still better than aac.

btw, it pains me to own a zune because I still think M$=:lildevil:

1 - 20 of 141 Posts