Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New intake tube!

5K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  1g6dp 
#1 · (Edited)
So I was reading another thread titled "CAI" and a post in the thread by BlackCadillac91 that says:
However if you use the stock airbox you will still have the stock restrictive intake pipe to the throttle body.
He was referring to the ghettomike/gaetanno airbox mod.
This statement got the juices flowing and a project was in the midst (and of course I wanted a mod named after me)

So heres what I did to get rid of the stock intake tube.

I went to auto zone and bought a 90 degree intake elbow and a piece that had a slight bend in it...not sure of the angle, that is made by spectre. Grabbed a couple connectors (I wanted black but they only had one so I had to get a blue one also) and also purchased some RTV silicone and a PCV elbow. went home started mocking it up, but things were too long to fit, so I cut about 3/4" off both the 90 and the other tube, fits good now I have to put the hole in the tube for the PCV elbow. Get the hole done and I silicone it in with the RTV.

Heres some pics...

Now I let it sit over night to get it nice and solid and just put it in the car and test drove it.

Pics installed...

The result....
It made a big difference than the stock tube and looks wayyyy better, throttle response picked up and it idles better than it did before. Now I do have the ghettomike/gaetanno airbox mod as well and feel this is probably as close to a volant that you can get without actually buying a volant for $250. In all I paid $73.

Cone filter - $25
90 elbow - $11
other tube - $11
(2) connectors - $20
PCV elbow - $3
RTV silicone - $3

The end of the 90 that I cut is the one that connects to the throttle body, I did have to trim the connector too, cuz with it not cut it was too long and hit the radiator. Let me know what you guys think, and I call this the ride_002000 intake tube...lol

Oh and I sliced my finger with a knife while working on this and got 5 stitches...heres a pic for proof (graphic).

See less See more
#5 ·
Oh and I sliced my finger with a knife while working on this and got 5 stitches...heres a pic for proof (graphic).
this is why i need to start putting "should only be attempted by trained professionals or those who love blood and pain" in all my threads.
LMAO

nicely done, ive been thinking of doing this with my 3.2 for a while but the problem is its soo crammed in there and i havent got around to measuring the piping.
im also going to be cutting the front off the box where i originally just drilled a lot of holes.

#7 ·
yea, the caddy always gets blood and sweat put into it. But it really didnt hurt when I did it and doesnt hurt now either which is weird. But oh well got the intake tube on and I like it.

When I had my 04' CTS a few years back I added a cone and cut the whole side off like your wanting to do ghettomike, seemed to work just as good.

#11 ·
Using super glue on these kind of cuts will keep you out of the doctor's offices as well. This is a permanent fix for cuts that are less than an inch deep and an inch wide. It would save you a lot of time and money, of course that all depends on how deep the cut is.

#13 ·
So I was reading another thread titled "CAI" and a post in the thread by BlackCadillac91 that says:

This statement got the juices flowing and a project was in the midst (and of course I wanted a mod named after me)

Oh jesus lol. i take NO responsibility for this lol.

#14 ·

So heres what I did to get rid of the stock intake tube.

My only concern with this set up is the oil catch. The stock one had an oil catch. With this removed are you looking at more of oil potentially ending up in the plenum and junking up the valve stems ?

#17 ·
just get a dump can, i got mine on ebay for $20 i think...its not here yet but i bought it.

#26 ·
you cant make that exact setup with the 03, but you can create something somewhat similar...i started a project like what cad4life did, but something a little different. i will say, for the 03, you will need a second MAF sensor unless you go from a dual system to a single then back to a dual and put the one MAF sensor where the single tubing is...
yea basically what tx said. To do two mafs you'd need the wiring harness for it, and then theres also how the pcm system would react to it. maybe no prob at all. who knows.
But I have learned having a MAF CLOSER to the TB gives a more accurate reading, and thus Improves throttle response.

so the Y in and Y out wouldnt be bad at all :thumbsup:

Anyone brave enough, I and Im sure Txbest will be glad to make this possible with your guys 3.2's.

#23 ·
you cant make that exact setup with the 03, but you can create something somewhat similar...i started a project like what cad4life did, but something a little different. i will say, for the 03, you will need a second MAF sensor unless you go from a dual system to a single then back to a dual and put the one MAF sensor where the single tubing is...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.