Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.8L
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was reading another thread titled "CAI" and a post in the thread by BlackCadillac91 that says:
However if you use the stock airbox you will still have the stock restrictive intake pipe to the throttle body.
He was referring to the ghettomike/gaetanno airbox mod.
This statement got the juices flowing and a project was in the midst (and of course I wanted a mod named after me)

So heres what I did to get rid of the stock intake tube.

I went to auto zone and bought a 90 degree intake elbow and a piece that had a slight bend in it...not sure of the angle, that is made by spectre. Grabbed a couple connectors (I wanted black but they only had one so I had to get a blue one also) and also purchased some RTV silicone and a PCV elbow. went home started mocking it up, but things were too long to fit, so I cut about 3/4" off both the 90 and the other tube, fits good now I have to put the hole in the tube for the PCV elbow. Get the hole done and I silicone it in with the RTV.

Heres some pics...

Now I let it sit over night to get it nice and solid and just put it in the car and test drove it.

Pics installed...

The result....
It made a big difference than the stock tube and looks wayyyy better, throttle response picked up and it idles better than it did before. Now I do have the ghettomike/gaetanno airbox mod as well and feel this is probably as close to a volant that you can get without actually buying a volant for $250. In all I paid $73.

Cone filter - $25
90 elbow - $11
other tube - $11
(2) connectors - $20
PCV elbow - $3
RTV silicone - $3

The end of the 90 that I cut is the one that connects to the throttle body, I did have to trim the connector too, cuz with it not cut it was too long and hit the radiator. Let me know what you guys think, and I call this the ride_002000 intake tube...lol

Oh and I sliced my finger with a knife while working on this and got 5 stitches...heres a pic for proof (graphic).

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
OUCH ! Sorry about the digit. Maybe apply some alcohol,from the inside, LOL.
It looks good,nice job.
What dia. is everything, also is that black connector the same dia. at both ends ?
It looks larger at the airbox end.

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.8L
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The diameter of the tube is 3"...all the connectors are 3" also...the one that looks bigger on one end is stretched up on the MAF tube which measured 3.25" but I got the 3" connector to fit on it fairly easily.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
LOL Doing intakes on the 3.6 always injure someone.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Oh and I sliced my finger with a knife while working on this and got 5 stitches...heres a pic for proof (graphic).
this is why i need to start putting "should only be attempted by trained professionals or those who love blood and pain" in all my threads.
LMAO

nicely done, ive been thinking of doing this with my 3.2 for a while but the problem is its soo crammed in there and i havent got around to measuring the piping.
im also going to be cutting the front off the box where i originally just drilled a lot of holes.

·
Registered
2004 cts sport
856 Posts
this is why i need to start putting "should only be attempted by trained professionals or those who love blood and pain" in all my threads.
LMAO

nicely done, ive been thinking of doing this with my 3.2 for a while but the problem is its soo crammed in there and i havent got around to measuring the piping.
im also going to be cutting the front off the box where i originally just drilled a lot of holes.
yaaa mike i lost a finger nail wih those damn hids of yours

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.8L
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea, the caddy always gets blood and sweat put into it. But it really didnt hurt when I did it and doesnt hurt now either which is weird. But oh well got the intake tube on and I like it.

When I had my 04' CTS a few years back I added a cone and cut the whole side off like your wanting to do ghettomike, seemed to work just as good.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts

thinking about investing in my own stitch kit for this very reason. can't tell you how many times I've ripped a nuckle open. 4hr wait in the ER just doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
yaaa mike i lost a finger nail wih those damn hids of yours
yes, but my headlights look great! except the passenger side 1 look a little redish...jkz

ive never has stitches, i just use crazy glue, it was made for medical purposes to start off with. the canadian army has a bottle of lava ashes they shake on bad wounds to cotterise it and i heard some other army has a spray bottle that is just like crazy glue in a aresol bottle.

·
Registered
Had a Cadillac
169 Posts
Using super glue on these kind of cuts will keep you out of the doctor's offices as well. This is a permanent fix for cuts that are less than an inch deep and an inch wide. It would save you a lot of time and money, of course that all depends on how deep the cut is.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The Mod looks great, but the sutures look like they were done by Dr. Frankenstein. :)

FYI, If you're anal (like me), you can spray paint the [blue] coupler to match the rest of the set-up. Either flat black or semi gloss would look good.

·
Registered
06 Cadillac CTS 3.6L [Sold :( ] 02 Mustang GT 5Spd
1,161 Posts
So I was reading another thread titled "CAI" and a post in the thread by BlackCadillac91 that says:

This statement got the juices flowing and a project was in the midst (and of course I wanted a mod named after me)

Oh jesus lol. i take NO responsibility for this lol.

·
Registered
983 Posts

So heres what I did to get rid of the stock intake tube.

My only concern with this set up is the oil catch. The stock one had an oil catch. With this removed are you looking at more of oil potentially ending up in the plenum and junking up the valve stems ?

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.8L
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My only concern with this set up is the oil catch. The stock one had an oil catch. With this removed are you looking at more of oil potentially ending up in the plenum and junking up the valve stems ?
This shouldnt be any different than the volant or any other aftermarket intake I have ever come across. I will keep an eye on it and inspect it every once in awhile.

And where is the oil catch located? I dont see anything in the stock tube.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
just get a dump can, i got mine on ebay for $20 i think...its not here yet but i bought it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
This shouldnt be any different than the volant or any other aftermarket intake I have ever come across. I will keep an eye on it and inspect it every once in awhile.

And where is the oil catch located? I dont see anything in the stock tube.
on the stock inlet right before the TB where the PCV hose connects. You will notice that square thing which connects to the throttle body. there is a vertical shaft thing which the hose connects to. I always figured that was to retard the progress of any liquid into the TB.

·
Registered
White '04 CTS 3.6L,Two JL 12w7 + Bose/ Boston Tweets
1,481 Posts
Dude nice man! Dont stop there though ...go all out :D

That was my old setup both intakes were located here:

Now for temporary:

And the sound of my Temp setup:

Just saying man :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 CTS 2.8L
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice... I think for now Im gonna leave it and next is the exhaust...I still have to tint the windows and do some other stuff too.

Love you wheels BTW.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts