Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM announced today more information on its Ultium Charging 360 network.
GM adding Plug and Charge capability

It is adding "Plug and Charge capabilities". GM is starting with the EVgo network but will
add this feature on more networks in time.

GM is now working with 11 charging networks i
  • Blink
  • ChargePoint
  • FLO
  • EVCS
  • EVGateway
  • EVgo
  • EV Connect
  • EVPassport
  • NoodoeEV
  • SemaConnect
  • Shell Recharge
Missing is "ElectrifyAmerica"

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've only used ChargePoint on that list, and the connectors are locked in the chargers until you authenticate with the ChargePoint app or use Apple Tap to Pay. I suppose that you will be able to use one app (Cadillac or new Ultium Charging app?) to unlock, charge and bill? Do the others listed also lock the charge connectors and only unlock after you authenticate?

·
Registered
2016 ELR
684 Posts
I've only used ChargePoint on that list, and the connectors are locked in the chargers until you authenticate with the ChargePoint app or use Apple Tap to Pay. I suppose that you will be able to use one app (Cadillac or new Ultium Charging app?) to unlock, charge and bill? Do the others listed also lock the charge connectors and only unlock after you authenticate?
Around me, most ChargePoint charging stations are AC Level 2 , which don't currently support Plug and Charge. Even when they are set for 'free', you still need an account and phone or RFID card to unlock the cord. There is a push to get all DC fast chargers to do this, but AC Level 2 are allowed to take awhile longer to implement.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They really should also partner with EA, more chargers for all brands will only help EV adoption and work for all companies.
I couldn't agree with you more that ElectrifyAmerica needs to be on the list.
EA has the most CCS chargers nationwide with "decent" reliability ( not perfect )
( as reported by YouTuber's that travel cross country )
Here is EA's DC charger network ( I turned off Level 2 and CHAdamo chargers )
Ecoregion World Map Vertebrate Font

·
Registered
119 Posts
EA has the most CCS chargers nationwide with "decent" reliability ( not perfect )
View attachment 618824
Exactly. EA makes interstate travel feasible for non-teslas. None of the other companies come close

·
Registered
CTS, SRX
406 Posts
View attachment 618824
EA has a deal with BMW, wonder if it’s exclusive, so they can’t participate.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yea, pretty pitiful. I expect I'll try EVGo out and see how "long" it takes to charge the Lyriq when it arrives. I don't tend to road trip much (occasional jaunt to LA ~100 miles round trip), so being able to charge for free would be good .. seeing as I'll have 3 years of it with EVGo (2 years + 1 year for delayed SC)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In the article, GM adding Plug and Charge capability
They mentioned that an active OnStar account is required.

..."Plug and Charge streamlines the EV charging process for customers. Drivers with an EVgo account, active OnStar connected services and the GM brand app for their vehicle perform a one-time activation of Plug and Charge within the app"...

In a Detroit News articles....they wrote the following

...."Drivers whose vehicles are DC compatible, from most Bolts to the newest GMC Hummer and Cadillac Lyriq, need active OnStar connected services, which start at $25.99 per month, and an EVgo account connected to the GM brand app for their vehicle, where they can activate the service for free"...

Question....to those that have used Tesla's Supercharging network.
Other than paying for the electricity, is there a subscription just to have the ability to "Plug and Charge" ?

While I will probably continue to use the OnStar service....just curious what Tesla does.

·
Registered
2016 ELR
684 Posts
Question....to those that have used Tesla's Supercharging network.
Other than paying for the electricity, is there a subscription just to have the ability to "Plug and Charge" ?

While I will probably continue to use the OnStar service....just curious what Tesla does.
No subscription is involved. At the SuperCharger, you just plug in the cable to your car. No phone or RFID tag required. Your credit card is on file in your Tesla account, and is automatically billed for the charging session.

·
Registered
2016 ELR
684 Posts
Thank you for providing the answer
No problem.

Also, unlike most other DC fast chargers (and even commercial AC level 2 chargers), the Tesla SuperCharger's don't even have a screen or user interface. You can monitor the charging session on the screen in the car, and it also will show you the cost. On the app as well. Other networks tend to have this info on a physical display on the charging station. Tesla's solution is pretty streamlined overall, and also well integrated into the navigation system (showing you how many stalls are occupied, power level, etc).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Btw this is how EVGo defines “fast charging” on their website (minus the emoji)
View attachment 618826
EVgo has been called out on this back in February 28, 2022 on the INSIDE EV podcast.
Tom Moloughney asks for the change of what is high speed
At the 55:12 mark in the YouTube video, Tom Moloughney asks the EVgo guest if he could look into getting the definition of "Ultra fast" charging speed updated. The guest said that he would take it back to the company.
I guess this "low hanging fruit" of just making a simple website update is too much for EVgo.
Then again, if EVgo changes their definition of "Ultra fast" to 150kW....probably very few charging locations would show up !!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts