Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 deville and the pellet or something was wrong so my car would start once out of 10 starts, i bought a new cylinder from my work (autozone) and it came with a key, it has wires coming off of it obviously, but the key it came with dosent have a pellet or anything on it..can i just throw this new ignition in and it will start up, or do i have to bypass is or what? :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
You will have to bypass it or it will not start. Do an internet search for GM VATS. There are several sites that will tell you how to do it. Basically you need to wire in a resistor that is the same resistance as the one in your key.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
There is also information about it here. Do a search and you should be able to find something about it.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The brass key in the package is a blank with the mechanical cut for the new keys with pellets.
You must take your OLD key to the dealership, and take the brass key with you. They will match the pellet in your old key to new key blanks and cut them the same cut as the new lock cylinder key blank.
Get 2, you don't want just one key for your car right?

Then all you have to do is replace the lock cylinder... if you have the speical tools and the know how.... and you are good to go.
You can't use your old keys anymore.
The new cylinder comes with the key blank because you can't change the tumblers in a PK2 lock cylinder, that blank is critical to it's operation with new pellet matched keys!

HTH

If you wanted to bypass the theft system, then you just wasted money buying the lock cylinder.
Don't bypass it.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
CAN you bypass it? Sure, I assume you mean temporarily?

Get an ohm meter, measure the resistance of the pellet.
Go to radio shack and buy a resistor of a close value, Find the VATS wires under the dash, they are two small white wires that come out of a thicker orange insulation, they run into the end of the large connector under the driver side dash. Leave some slack by cutting as close to the orange insulation as you can, strip the wires back and connect the resistor between the two wires, remember to do this on the connector side, the orange insulation will be left dangling until you can repair your lock cylinder.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and im not sure if the pellet in my old key is even good, it dosent let me start it half the time and it says i have to wait 3 mins to restart

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
If you need a new key, try ebay. I have gotten a new key from "Marc's lock and key" for less than $10. Had it cut at Ace Hardware for $1.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The problem is not the key, it's the wires in the column, you need to replace the lock cylinder.

I am getting dizzy....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts