Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Northstar in a 1986 MR2
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and gals. I am Bill Strong, I own & run the Toyota MR2 Owners Club Message board. I also am in the process of building a Northstar powered 1987 Toyota MR2. This will go into my collection of 3SGTE and 20v 4AGE powered MK1 MR2s. I also have a twin carbed MR2 that we use on Track days.

But enough of jap 4 bangers.

I have been a V8 guy since the 70s. My first car was a 23 T-Bucket with a 283 'Vette motor. Great High School car! except when it rained, but growing up in San Diego meant that I did not have to worry about that much. :) I then built a V8 Vega in 1980. Joined the air force and was sent to England for 11 years where I got into the 4 cylinder stuff. Sorta been there since.
But I got the idea of a V8 MR2 about 3 years ago. Looked at the SHO V8 but due to that thing not always staying together I decided against it. I looked at the Northstar and even went down to a dealer to measure one up. But the size just looked too big. I put this on my web site and when Sport Compact Car reviewed my web site in September 2002 they suggested that I stop talking and just build the damn thing. Well it was not that easy as Northstars just don't grow on trees out here in Central Virginia.

Well 3 weeks ago I was down at my local Junk Yard looking at a MR2, and just happened to look to my right where I saw a Caddy. A new Caddy! I walked over, grabbed the hood, looked to the shy, prayed to the engine gods, and tried unsuccesfully to pop the hood. dramatic scene was now gone... so I yanked and pulled... and boom A NORTHSTAR!!!! Complete. The owner who is a friend of mine told me it was some ex-drug king pins car here in Yee-Haw-Ville. I said I wanted the engine, we made a deal, and he delivered it a few days later.

Well the past Sunday my buddy and I got the engine to fit into the back of the MR2. Damn it is tight! But man does it look sweet in the back!

More info can be found here - http://www.racingstrong.com/toystar/index.asp
I still wanna call the car my Toyotallac.

As far as we know there has only ever been one V8 MR2, and that was the LeMans Toyota entry.

Well I am glad I have found this website. There is a ton of info here! Thanks guys and gals!

Bill Strong

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Welcome aboard... Thanks for signing up :wave:

Sounds like you got some interesting projects going on! Ill be anxious to hear more about them....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts