Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Im new to this board and im in highschool. I was going to buy a 95 fleetwood in the next 6 months but ive been thinkin bout it lately and now im thinking of getting a 93 deville (here there like 4g's with like 60,xxx) where as a fleetwood is around 7-9 here. And after graduating and getting a better job id get a fleetwood in a couple of years. I'd just like to here all the expert opinons by you guys. Also this is my first car and what can you tell me about the price diffrence in repairs and up keep from the 93 deville and the 95 fleetwood.

Thanks All

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Welcome aboard.
Generally speaking, the Deville will cost more to own over the years mainly due to a higher frequency of repairs and higher parts prices. The reason is the Deville is a FWD and the Fleetwood is a RWD car. Overall, the FWD Deville is a technically superior car in many ways but this tends to also lead to more costly and frequent repairs. Also, simple mishaps like hitting pot-holes and/or curbs will be FAR more costly than in the RWD Fleetwood. Bottom line, the Fleetwood's "old school" design is more durable and cheaper to maintain and repair.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
KATSHOT knows of what he speaks. While the DeVille may be harder on your wallet (especially as it is FWD), it will offer superior handling. The trick to owning one is to jump on repairs as they are required - don't sloff off on this because if you let them pile up, it will very quickly become cost prohibitive to get right.

Parts will become an issue in the nearterm as well. That Deville is already `10 years on and GM doesn't seem to be too great about keeping parts in their inventory past the 10 year mark. Not a huge deal if you live near an auto boneyard and can scavenge the parts as you need them, but it may equate to longer downtime if you need a part and have to wait for a search party to find it for you.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about the 4.9l engine is it pretty reliable for an everyday driver to school. I really dont want the FWD but it is my first car and they are as much as 3 to 5 grand cheaper over hear compared to the fleetwood. Sooner or later im going to get a fleetwood anyways.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Msilva954 said:
What about the 4.9l engine is it pretty reliable for an everyday driver to school. I really dont want the FWD but it is my first car and they are as much as 3 to 5 grand cheaper over hear compared to the fleetwood. Sooner or later im going to get a fleetwood anyways.
I have a 92 Eldo with the 4.9 and its great. I paid 4g with 70k miles and have no regrets. It is my first caddy. As soon as i get it paid off and spring is here i will buy a newer eldo. Its great for my trip to work and back and to school on the weekends

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
JJhomer83