Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 2002 Seville STS
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new here and I just bought a 02 STS. It seems to have most options except sunroof, nav, XM and tire monitors. Does anyone know if XM and tire monitors can be added easily. I dont want an extra XM receiver installed in the car. Also I didn't know if the all you needed to do was add wheel monitors and reprogram car to add tire sensor.
I look forward to reading alot here. Looks like a great site.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Xm can be added to any car. You will have to add the antenna, the tuner, and the reciever. Any circuit city will be able to install it, the roadshop employees are usually pretty smart. I am pretty sure there are after market tire pressure monitors, search the internet.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I just don't want to add any extra receivers and display units.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Yea I am not a big fan of aftermarket displays either, but I really doubt they will be able to use the stock headunit.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Some of these radios are XM capable. I don't know if they can be installed into an earlier year or even a different car of the same year. You might check the audio forum -- there are usually some knowledgeable guys who hang out in there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
HI.

I have an 01 STS with tire sensors and I have programmed the dash display to ignore them. I was getting a lot of incorrect messages to check tire sensors, and it was annoying. Always best to check your tire pressure manually on a regular basis, regardless of whether you have the sensors or not.

If you flip through the options on the the driver display, see if there is any option to ignore the tire sensors. It is not likely since the vehicle did not come equipped with them.

At the very least, each tire would have to be fitted with a special stem (involves removing tire from rim), and an external pickup sensor would have to be added for each wheel. A magnet is used to program each wheel so the computer recognizes which is front left, front right, etc. The wheels would have to be rebalanced. All this would cost a pretty penny. And the computer would no doubt have to be re-programmed to recognize tire sensors - by a GM tech. More $$. Go to an authorized Caddy dealer and ask them what it would cost. Be sure you are sitting down when they tell you. Personally, I wouldn't rely on the sensor anyways.

If you decide to go this route, never allow a rim sealer to be used as they have a tendancy to gum up the sensors, and anyone removing/installing the tires has to be carefull not to damage the sensors.

Adding XM to the existing radio - I would imaging would not be possible. (ask the Caddy dealership). It would be easier to just buy a simple external receiver with a magnetic antenna. My brother has one in his Buick, and it's really stealth. He can also take it from car to car.

I bought my 01 STS back in October 2005. I love the car! I take care of it, mostly by changing the oil (every 2500-3000 miles) and changing the coolant every 2 years (always add some sort of stop leak like Bar's Leak or the GM pellets). The manual says the oil and coolant do not have to be changed this often, but if you can do any of this yourself, it is real cheap maintenance, and will pay off big time!

Hope I have been of some help.

MG....:):)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info, I have stumbled into the audo section and lots of good info there.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
HI.

I have an 01 STS with tire sensors and I have programmed the dash display to ignore them. I was getting a lot of incorrect messages to check tire sensors, and it was annoying. Always best to check your tire pressure manually on a regular basis, regardless of whether you have the sensors or not.
Good point... your car might have this option... most 2002 STS came this way... I thought by 2002 TPS was a standard feature. On my 02 STS the previous owner had the dealer turn them off with the TECH II... Look at your stems... If they are metal... with metal caps they are TPS stems and your car has this feature... My dealer turned this back on for free with a paid oil change.

Personally, I wouldn't rely on the sensor anyways.

If you decide to go this route, never allow a rim sealer to be used as they have a tendency to gum up the sensors
I love my sensors and I rely on them they are VERY accurate definitely within 0.5 psi. Yes I also check my tires when I wash the car change oil etc... but this is a useful safety feature that I would not disable.

The Chrome finished wheels after about 3 years will start to pit on the inside and will start slow leaks (another reason why you want the sensors)... The only way to fix this is to "polish" off the chrome off of the inside lip and apply seam sealer... On my car very generous glops of seam sealer applied 2 years ago has had no negative impact to my sensors (YMMV)

and anyone removing/installing the tires has to be careful not to damage the sensors.
Yes! Yes! When I got new tires I mentioned, and called to their attention, the sensors 3 times... IF YOU DON"T THEY WILL BREAK THEM! Especially if you buy your tires at a cheap place like Costco, Wally-world, Etc

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I'll look at my stems and see if they are metal or rubber. My manual for 2002 says TPS were an option, or atleast it says "if equiped" when discussing them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts