Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really considering buying a 2002 Cadillac Seville SLS...or maybe it's an STS. It's got 100,000 miles on it and I can get it for about $7500. It's very clean.
Therein lies my first question. It says STS on the trunk, but the engine digit on the VIN says Y, not 9. I've seen this a few other times on ebay as well. What is this and how do I tell for sure if it's an L37 or LD8.
I drove it on a whim this saturday and since then started researching them. I noticed a fair amount of earlier models had headgasket issues. Is this not soo much on the later ones?
Anything else I should know about these cars to check out. I plan on jacking it up to do a quick check on the CV's, tie rods, ball joints, etc. Oh ya, anyone have a carfax account so they can do me a big favor? biggrin.gif
Thanks, and with any luck I'll be hanging around on here alot more.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6
1,320 Posts
It isn't really the STS model if the engine code is Y. It's that simple. Also, active suspension is an option on non STS cars, if it's not there, it's the SLS.

STS also has a wood handle on the shifter, and the SLS has a leather one.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yeah that. The Y code is the LD8 275 Horse motor. Also, the wood goes all the way down the door panel and continues to the back seat on the STS, the SLS stops by the door handle.

·
Registered
873 Posts
It isn't really the STS model if the engine code is Y. It's that simple. Also, active suspension is an option on non STS cars, if it's not there, it's the SLS.

STS also has a wood handle on the shifter, and the SLS has a leather one.
Some SLS models are equipped with fog lights and wood grain shifter/steering wheel also.

·
Registered
Crimson Pearl 2001 STS
126 Posts
But not wood all the way around on the doors unless the previous owner put it on. Why would someone change the badge on their car anyway?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,133 Posts
change badge........In order to impress the masses or rip you off. Take the VIN to a GM dealer service desk and ask them to run the database on the car...after lunch, during a quiet break......

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
Wonder if they changed the center caps on the wheels to from SLS to STS. :thepan:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts