Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My name is Aaron and as of yesterday The Warden...err..Wife and I are proud new owners of a low milage 2006 CTS. It didn't come with factory Xenon HID so I'm looking to upgrade. Upon research I stumbled across this site and have spent the rest of my work day reading...and reading :thumbsup:

I think I'm going to get (I may be wrong?) the SharpHID kit; 9006/HB4 bulb:4300K: 55W.

I understand I have to pull the front bumper..etc. No big deal.

The only thing that's got me worried is the possible need for the battery wiring harness and the bulb out warning harness.

I wasn't able to find where someone has said that they've had to use the above mentioned harnesses. So I figured before I dropped the $$$ I would ask and see if anyone has used this guys kits and if they had any unexpected problems?

I basically want to pull the bumper, install the kit, put the bumper back on and forget about it and enjoy the lighting.

If anyone could offer and peace of mind I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again and take care!
-Aaron

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,824 Posts
First and foremost.

WELCOME and Congrats on the new CTS.

So far, you sound like you know your stuff. Which will make alot of us very happy to help you. I am sure that you know that some aren't like that.

You are right about the size of the bulb, 9006. However, the color temp, 4300K is what the factory would of been if you had it. Most of us goes with 6,000K. The best looking and matches most LEDs if you decide to install them into that little triangle part. You know that small bulb in the lens that you see in the inner corner of each lens.

Also, if you don't want to worry about the wire harness. Just go with the 35watt, I've had 35 watt in my old car. 04 Grand Prix for over two years. And never had to change any of the HID parts or the harness. I kept it factory, I mentioned my old car because it's gm would think they would use the same size wires and what not. Though I am not sure how 55 watt will look and about the harness.

So in my opinion go with 9006 6,000K 35watt.

FYI, the LED bulb would be 194. Buy four of them, two for that bulb you can see in the lens. And the other two for the side markers. Since you'll be taking the bumper off, it's just easier to replace them all at the same time.

Enjoy the new ride.

KOT

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
H

I think I'm going to get (I may be wrong?) the SharpHID kit; 9006/HB4 bulb:4300K: 55W.

-Aaron
I think that's a great choice, and those will come with a good warranty. You're buying the most light output you can get with an HID conversion. 55W is significantly brighter then 35W kits. I stand to be corrected, but I believe the factory harness on the CTS will support the 55W kits just fine. IIRC the factory low beams (9006) are a 12V 55W bulb. The 55W HID kits shouldn't draw anymore current then the factory bulbs do, so you should be fine.

The 4300k are pure white and offer the most light output. 6000k will offer you a couple hundred less lumen and approximately 5% bluish hue to the light. Color choice is a matter of taste, and unless you plan on adding LEDs at some point 4300 vs 6000k is moot to you. IMO you're wasting your money buying anything > 6000k just for color.

:welcome5: to the forums. We're glad you signed up. Congratulations on being the owner of a new CTS. :)

·
Registered
2006 CTS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. It sounds like I'm on the right track right now. I'm still not 100% on the color choice.

Have any of you had the need for the bulb-out warning or the battery harness?

I pretty much want to install them and FORGET about them. LOL

Thanks for the help so far! :cool2:

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
No need for the bulb out warning. I'd go with the 6000k, the white LED matches perfect. Go with HID fogs as well, same color, (see the pics in my album)

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,337 Posts
yeah, try to do the fogs at the same time if possible. it will look like crap if you don't finish it off. good luck with your new ride, you WILL love.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any issues with the fog lights being too bright with an HID on them?

So far i've ordered a cold air K&N intake and a billet grill.

Do you guys know of anyone in Houston that I could trust to do the work? I can do it; but I would rather have someone warantee the labor or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts