Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was expecting them to be way darker. It was my bad to not verify the shade of gunmetal. He is going to redo them a lot darker for me. The quality is amazing! He even fixed all the curb rash i had managed to pick up! No one can tell a difference, they are all like...weren't you going to get your wheels done. THEY ARE DONE IDIOT!!!!
Anyway, they will be a lot more noticeable after they are redone. I will be in LA and San Diego the next 2 weeks so once I get back I will have them fixed.

Reactions: bossplayer

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,361 Posts
I had the same problem when I had some wheels powdercoated for my Subaru. Much like paint samples, choosing a powdercoat color based on a sample book is tough. The shop I used coated and baked some sample plates (so I wasn't trying to make my decision off a 1" sample), but adding in the contours of the wheel made it look different (lighter) than I thought it would.

Should look great with the wheels a bit darker.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Now, I see why you was soo quiet about the wheels.
He (the guy who did it) should've known better to even call and say you can pick them up.
He should've told you he needed two more days to yield the best finish and cure. (then quickly re-coated them)

Bossplayer,
you know have a little more knowledge for when you get yours done!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Redline
743 Posts
Now, I see why you was soo quiet about the wheels.
He (the guy who did it) should've known better to even call and say you can pick them up.
He should've told you he needed two more days to yield the best finish and cure. (then quickly re-coated them)

Bossplayer,
you know have a little more knowledge for when you get yours done!
Very, very true. If I decide to do this still I will go with a close to black if not black finish. I don't like the look of those from what I can tell, just looks like dirty wheels... sorry.

Points given for posting something that applies to me.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Well Whisler I must agree they need to be darker. Sorry to hear you have to pull the wheels again but I'm sure when you get them re-done they will look tough!

Your making me think about getting the Accessory wheels powder coated!

Maybe next year...

Looks good though and I look forward to seeing the new color.

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
They look great :worship:
Keep them like they are.
I think that shade is perfect.

IMHO it would be a waste to get those redone.
If you really don't like them then exchange with someones stockers and get another set of stockers done.
I would trade you a set of stockers plus cash for those and I am sure others would as well.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Yeah they actually look like they may look pretty cool the way they are, but it's had to tell from photos. However since you were considering getting them black I'm betting you'll want them darker :)

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He now knows that I want a DARK gunmetal...borderline black. The reason i didn't go with black is that i wanted a little contrast between the wheel and tire. Now they just look dirty...they will look a lot better once i have them redone. I dont think he is going to charge me to have them done, he's a real nice guy. He also said that he went with a slightly lighter color due to the fact that it is so much easier to make them darker then it is to lighten them up once they have been powdercoated and clearcoated. This wont be for several weeks. I dont want my car up on jack stands the whole time i'm gone.

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
It's not good to powdercoat your wheels too many times.
I spoke to Kinesis once about this.
They say they only like to Powdercoat or Anodize wheels once (typically when new).
Repeating the process (with the heat treatments involved) tends to weaken the metal.
Also stripping powdercoat can't be a metal friendly process either.

If you really don't like that color (which I think looks great) just trade with someones stockers and get a virgin stock set redone.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey where did you get those done at? we might use those guys with the company. whats the cross streets
Its $100/wheel...if you get other stuff done they may cut you a deal. They are right off 121 business in Lewisville.

Quality Motorsports
1671 Riverview Dr. Suite 101
Lewisville, TX 75056

·
Registered
04 Cadillac CTSV
380 Posts
Ahh never heard of them. Our old shop that we sold turned into a powder coating place. so they will probably gimme a sweet deal. i hope. im shootin for the jet black. but i would definatly say go darker on the wheel bro.

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
Very, very true. If I decide to do this still I will go with a close to black if not black finish. I don't like the look of those from what I can tell, just looks like dirty wheels... sorry.

Points given for posting something that applies to me.
:yeah:

Aye. Not being mean, but yeah, it appears that the wheels are just dirty.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:yeah:

Aye. Not being mean, but yeah, it appears that the wheels are just dirty.
I completely agree...it was raining yesterday and they looked just like they did after a nice drive in the rain. Oh well...they can only get better from here. At least the curb rash is gone now. :highfive:

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
Whistler,

I recommend you live with em for a few weeks and see how you like em. IMO you can go too dark and I don't like the contrast with our platinum paint.

Just a thought,

Scott

·
Registered
2006 Light Platinum STS-V - 2005 Black Raven CTS-V (gone)
277 Posts
Its $100/wheel...if you get other stuff done they may cut you a deal. They are right off 121 business in Lewisville.

Quality Motorsports
1671 Riverview Dr. Suite 101
Lewisville, TX 75056
Can they perform minor wheel repair for nicks and curb rash also? I'm anxious to refinish the wheels on my STS-V, but can't figure out which color to use. I'm tempted to just chrome them and found an exchange service out in CA.

Our wheels are forged, so the stripping/baking process isn't nearly as harsh on the metal as it can be with cast aluminum wheels. Most electrostatic coats bake at around 400 degrees F, which isn't a threat to forged wheels (if proper cool-down is observed).

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can they perform minor wheel repair for nicks and curb rash also? I'm anxious to refinish the wheels on my STS-V, but can't figure out which color to use. I'm tempted to just chrome them and found an exchange service out in CA.

Our wheels are forged, so the stripping/baking process isn't nearly as harsh on the metal as it can be with cast aluminum wheels. Most electrostatic coats bake at around 400 degrees F, which isn't a threat to forged wheels (if proper cool-down is observed).
NO!!! Dont chrome your wheels! We'll take ours in together and get a dark gunmetal. jk Chrome them if you want. I can call and see what that would cost if you'd like.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts