Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Escalade V8 6.0
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was considering replacing my gas cap on my new (to me) 02' Escalade v8 6.0.

I was looking at locking ones since I prefer to have it secured.

Has anyone successfully switched to a locking cap on the 2002?

If so, which brand/part number did you use? Any issues?

Also, they come in vented and non vented. How do I know which one I need?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I replaced the cap on my 03 and it's a locking cap and it works great

I think it is vented as it has small holes on the side where it goes in the filler hose

·
Registered
2002 Escalade V8 6.0
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the cap on my 03 and it's a locking cap and it works great

I think it is vented as it has small holes on the side where it goes in the filler hose
Hi Cadillac Man,

So the parts guy is saying "A vented system is one that vents fumes to the outside air through the cap. A non vented system is one that reuses the vapors that fuels put off by recirculating it back into the fuel system by the ways of a inline purge valve,carbon canister system or any other means in a closed fuel system through a internal fuel vent"

We have the purge valve and canister so it would be safe to say "non-vented", right?

I'm looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Stant-11504-Locking-Fuel-Cap/dp/B000C7YQHY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434120989&sr=8-1&keywords=Stant+11504+Locking+Fuel+Cap

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
You'll know soon enough: The wrong filler cap will set emissions codes and turn on the SES light - in a hurry. The wrong cap is a certain emissions fail.

If the vehicle has an EVAP system - purge solenoid on or near the TB - then the cap is not vented.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade V8 6.0
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll know soon enough: The wrong filler cap will set emissions codes and turn on the SES light - in a hurry. The wrong cap is a certain emissions fail.

If the vehicle has an EVAP system - purge solenoid on or near the TB - then the cap is not vented.
I'm actually replacing the EVAP Vent Solenoid to get rid of the P0046 code, so I guess I'll be ordering the non-vented cap with it.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts