·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey this is my new Fleetwood limo!

Im in the process of restoring.

Here are some issues maybe you know a thread or have the answer for:

1. Rear A/C Wont Blow.
Front A/C didn't blow until I changed blower motor resistor. That didn't fix the rear.

2. The interior lights stay on.
Currently the fuse is pulled until further notice.

3. The technology on the hood of the car doesn't work. (The two indicators on both sides)

4. Currently having a power steering problem. New pump, new pulley, new gear box. Still no power steering

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,042 Posts
You could wind up with as many as 4 fewer issues if you invest in a $100 factory service manual for your 27-year old nice score there.

Otherwise, liveries may have either an entirely separate cooling and/or heating system, or at least an additional blower. The door switches have a habit of wearing out either open or shorted. Check the fiber optic lines and connections from the fender indicators to the headlights themselves. P/S issues after replaced parts are usually wrong pump application, misboxed pump, poor quality pump rebuild, or just plain incorrect installation.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interior light issues could be as simple as a broken button mechanism on the map lights. If it still has the conventional grab handle/map light set up, where the lens is the on/off button, the springs in those buttons are plastic and break especially with age. When they break, it stays in the on position with no way of turning off without replacing the light. That's what mine was. You generally have to get a whole used grab handle to get the light. The puddle lights on the door panels have short leads of wiring that can break, but that just makes the puddle light not work.

Also had an interior light issue at one time not long ago, as mentioned before, due to the door latch/lock mechanism on the right front door. The vertical lock rod needed lubricated that goes to the lock knob on the door panel. It would not allow the knob to go up when the unlock button was pushed. Simply an issue from lack of use, only occurred when the passenger front door was actually used, as it was generally not. Lubricate all the pivot points of the door latches inside and out.

Otherwise, the not so easy fixes to interior light issues would include lots of testing and inspecting wiring.

Your power steering could be a EVO component issue if it has that style power steering pump. It was a valve in the back of the pump that modulated fluid to firm up or lighten steering feel depending on the speed, getting feedback from the ECM if I'm not mistaken. There are no replacement EVO solenoids, and GM only sells "delete" fittings for the later model trucks with a similar setup. Though I do not believe the armored chassis had this setup, but a conventional pump without EVO.

Also, if the car has newer ball joints that were never lubricated beyond the grease used from manufacturing, the steering will feel much tighter than it should. Give the ball joints a pump or two of grease. The steering box could be out of adjustment too. There are two points of adjustment, the hex set screw on top of the box, and at the front (I don't believe it can be adjusted front the from without removing the box). Someone may have cranked the set screw too far trying to get slack/looseness out. These cars should have light and easy steering feel. There's only so much it could be, likely something simple, it's just the same GM Saginaw setup that's been used for decades.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
1,007 Posts
Hey this is my new Fleetwood limo!

3. The technology on the hood of the car doesn't work. (The two indicators on both sides)

View attachment 585807
The indicators are fiber optic - each with 3 plastic wires that plug into the front light housings. Low, High, Turn signal. The indicators snap into the fender and the wires run inside the fender to the front. They are held into the housing with specific rubber grommets that help seal the housing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts