Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'99 STS (Z-Rated & studded)
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready to order a new engine so I talked to the shop i take my car to, to find out what they want to install it. They said it was "long-block" time, so itd be 24 hours labor. At 80 bucks an hour, thats almost 2 grand! Is this normal, or is this place trying to rip me off?

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
wow i have heard of places wanting 2000 grand for the labor but thats where they charge like 99 an hour for the labor

from what a few places quoted me when i was looking into just changing the engine and not having the hg's done this time last year
all the decent shops that where insured and not some back alley mechanic they wanted around 1300-1600 for the job

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Yep. That wouldn't be out of line. I don't know off hand what that standard time for that job is but make sure you aren't paying for headgasket labor thats already been done with a long block.

24 hrs may be stretching it.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
There are reputable shops in north america that are doing HG job, which includes pulling the engine out and after extensive repair installing the engine back, and the cost is between two and three thousands dollars. As an example, Jake @ www.northstarperformance.com is asking as little as 2200 canadian dollars for HG job, and I really doubt any trained Cadillac technician can be better than him when it comes to N* engine.... Therefore I should say 2000$ for a new engine installation sounds high. Well, a Cadillac dealership should ask for such a money, but you should be able to find a good mechanic shop to do the job for less than 1500$. Look for shops that are doing HG job on N* engines. They should be able to give a you a better price.

Also as folks said I need to emphasize it again that make sure you are not paying money to put an engine with blown HG on your car! By the way, what is wrong with your engine that you need a new one?

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
also to clear things up
when you say new engine
are you saying new to you used engine
or a new wich would probably be rebuilt or remand engine from some company that rebuilds them ?

·
Registered
'99 STS (Z-Rated & studded)
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan to buy a rebuilt engine from Jake at N*Performance. Im currently waiting for them to finish it up and get it ready to ship.

As for my engine, it is completely shot. The block cracked around 105k and i was able to drive it up until last weekend when the HG's blew.

I made sure the shop knew it was only replacing the engine, no HG job. Im calling a couple other shops to get estimates, and then go from there.

Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
I plan to buy a rebuilt engine from Jake at N*Performance. Im currently waiting for them to finish it up and get it ready to ship.

As for my engine, it is completely shot. The block cracked around 105k and i was able to drive it up until last weekend when the HG's blew.

I made sure the shop knew it was only replacing the engine, no HG job. Im calling a couple other shops to get estimates, and then go from there.

Thanks for everyone's help!
ah ok cool great man Jake is your getting the best engine you can
i think we all know that Great desision you made there

just to get an idea on what you know you won't spend
since im just going out on a lim here you want a great job but dont want dealership prices

how about calling up a dealer and just asking them how much they would charge for a rebuilt engine
and then ask them to break it down what the engine cost and what the labor will cost

then you have the labor rate that a dealer would charge and you could compare it with what private shops are going to charge you

me personally My Mechanic charges me 75 dollars an hour if he can't do it for some reason they ill go to a dealer and the dealer is the only one in the world i wold pay more then 89.99 an hour for labor it would be about 100 an hour at the dealer near me
i think someone ones told me its a 18hr book job
but im not sure thatsw just hair say
my mechanic his regular prices are 89.99 an hour labor
good customers get 80.00 an hour
and his favorites ones that will always come back no matter what and unless he can't do the job we get 75.00 an hour

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
15 hrs. in a perfect world.

4 hrs. to drop the sub-frame & drive line
5 hrs. to swap over parts & engine
6 hrs. to install & get it right

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
15 hrs. in a perfect world.

4 hrs. to drop the sub-frame & drive line
5 hrs. to swap over parts & engine
6 hrs. to install & get it right
JK are these book times or just the times that you have discovered it should take you to do the job ?

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
6 Posts
hey man i just installed a new motor in my 98 sts....if your orderin an engine order a brand new reman from promar engines.$3300....highly respected and best warranty..look them up promarengines or go to rockauto and order one from them....brand new reman with warranty for 2700 that they get from marshalls.. engine install only cost me $900:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts