Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just acquired a 2000 DHS with 85,000 miles from my late Uncle...who owned a Caddy as long as I knew him (passed away at 93 years old).

I thought it would be a nice honor to drive his Caddy and remember him fondly while rolling down the road.

Anyway, it's my first Cadillac and I've read all 4 pages of info under this Forum.

Is there a "must do" list of things I should check/service on this car? I have no idea what service he had performed, but I'm sure it wasn't much.

What I do know:
Lots of electrical kinks. Hoping for bad ground at a main panel or something.

Consumes about 1 quart of oil per tank of gas. I know this is usually bad and a solid reason to walk away from a car...but it's Uncle Ed's, and I'm driving it until the wheels fall off.

I'll know more when I pick it up this weekend.

Thanks gang! :alchi:

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
A quart of oil per tank of gas is way too much oil that is either getting burned off or leaking out. The normal oil use for a northstar is a quart every 1000 miles. As far as the maintainence I would go get the coolant flushed and have the old coolant tested for exhaust gases (just to be sure you aren't wasting your money fixing up a car with a blown headgasket). If he didn't regularly flush the coolant, your engine is much more vulnerable to the headgaskets blowing. I would monitor how much, if any coolant the car is using after you flush it. The electrical problems could be from a bad ground or battery. Other than that, fuel filter, air filter, bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. A quart of oil is definitely too much. But, it's a free car, so I guess I'll drive it till it stops.

Good call on checking the antifreeze for oil/gasses.

:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,984 Posts
Read the "Full Throttle" in the Technical Archives at the top left of this page.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ranger!
Yes, I read the archive yesterday. While I found the "Full Throttle" article interesting, I'm not sure why you pointed it out.

Are you suggesting that because there is a VERY good chance that my 93 year old Uncle did not do the WOT on occasion, that may be the reason for the excessive oil loss?

Could you please elaborate when you have time?

:worship:

·
Super Moderator
86,984 Posts
Yes, that is exactly what I am suggesting. Did you read the oil consumption section? That pretty much explains it.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I read the section on Oil Consumption as well as every other article listed in the tech. archive.
I just didn't think I could be so lucky as to do the WOT technique to cure a 1 quart/1 tank of gas consumption.

But I'm sure as heck gonna give it a try!!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I couldn't find a way to edit my previous post, so I wanted to add:

How many WOT runs do I make? Try it a half-dozen times then watch my oil consumption for a month?

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
86,984 Posts
Yea, that sounds about right. Make sure that you do not see any black smoke (carbon) in the mirror on the last WOT. The more you see on the first attempt, the more it is carboned up. You will probably be surprised at how much it will help. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This will be a good experiment to see if I can go from 1 quart every 400miles to 1,000miles or beyond.

I will definitely report back!

Picking up the DHS on Sunday, starting to get excited!!:bouncy:

Thanks for the help!

:highfive:

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Change that little fan belt that controls the water pump!!

Check thickness of brake pads.

Check radiator hoses. Need to be relatively soft and not brittle.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac DHS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Change that little fan belt that controls the water pump!!

Check thickness of brake pads.

Check radiator hoses. Need to be relatively soft and not brittle.
Good call on the belt!
I was looking at the "D Service" in the Tech Session. At 85K miles, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just take the car straight to a "Cadiallac Certified Mechanic" and pay the $500 to let them do a full inspection, replace the fluids, yadda yadda yadda. It's a free Caddy to me, so I have no problems dropping a few bills to find out exactly what I'm starting off with.

Thoughts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts