Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2013 SRX Luxury/AWD
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The PROMISE when the CUE system was first introduced, and up until only several months ago on the Cadillac website was that existing CUE systems would be able to grow, as new technology was introduced (Hence the reason the units were built with the ability to swipe to the next screen when new icons i.e. new features were made available). So now to take advantage of features that already exist in less expensive vehicles, Cadillac owners have to buy a 2016 vehicle? I don't see this as being "good news". If the promise of upgradable technology was never made, then Cadillac would not have just lost a longtime customer. My next car will be anything but a Cadillac. Given that I spent close to $50K for my 2013 SRX, I don't believe that I nor any Cadillac owner deserved to be lied to regarding the future capabilities of the equipment that are in our cars.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance
100 Posts
It is pretty frustrating. I bought my 2013 ATS brand new and was looking forward to these features so to not get them is a let down.

Cadillac should offer to swap CUE systems for older models with this newer version to keep their promises. I guess they could go the Apple route when the new model system comes out and offer existing buyers the option to upgrade for a fee.

At least give an option and don't go completely silent hoping existing owners say nothing and forget about it. Not getting an option will not make me want to buy a 2016.

Cadillac made a great car and it will be a shame if they don't work on their follow through.

·
Registered
'14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, 2017 XT5 AWD
1,415 Posts
I think it is pretty funny that you judge a car company and your car, by the radio they put in the car. Car & Driver should change their name to Car & Radio.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 Luxury
202 Posts
I think it is pretty funny that you judge a car company and your car, by the radio they put in the car. Car & Driver should change their name to Car & Radio.
The user interface is a big part of enjoying a vehicle. Car & driver focuses on driving dynamics, lap times, 0-60, braking, etc....

----------

The PROMISE when the CUE system was first introduced, and up until only several months ago on the Cadillac website was that existing CUE systems would be able to grow, as new technology was introduced (Hence the reason the units were built with the ability to swipe to the next screen when new icons i.e. new features were made available). So now to take advantage of features that already exist in less expensive vehicles, Cadillac owners have to buy a 2016 vehicle? I don't see this as being "good news". If the promise of upgradable technology was never made, then Cadillac would not have just lost a longtime customer. My next car will be anything but a Cadillac. Given that I spent close to $50K for my 2013 SRX, I don't believe that I nor any Cadillac owner deserved to be lied to regarding the future capabilities of the equipment that are in our cars.
Wondering if someone decides to take suit against GM. They openly spoke about their free updates, now they aren't delivering.

·
Registered
2013 SRX
27 Posts
I just bought a 2013 SRX and am trying to learn all I can. It is very disappointing to me, as a software developer and tech junkie, to know the CUE system I just got in my SRX is already abandoned. Vehicles are much more than they were 50 years ago. People expect technology, and the nature of technology is that it can grow and be updated. There's no longer any need to throw out an "old" phone or buy a new car when the technology in it can be remotely updated by the factory.

·
Registered
*RIP* 2013 Cadillac XTS4 Platinum - Black Diamond TriCoat
46 Posts
I am very upset will at the false promises of CUE! I sent an email and got a response that they were trying to ensure that all the new things would work and to be patient... then i Hear about how MY 16 is getting apple carplay-- what a let down... i would pay extra to be able to upgrade to these new features at this point... Next time i don't know if cadillac is the ay to go but i do love the style of the XTS and the way the car handles!!

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 Luxury
202 Posts
I am very upset will at the false promises of CUE! I sent an email and got a response that they were trying to ensure that all the new things would work and to be patient... then i Hear about how MY 16 is getting apple carplay-- what a let down... i would pay extra to be able to upgrade to these new features at this point... Next time i don't know if cadillac is the ay to go but i do love the style of the XTS and the way the car handles!!
Wondering if we will be able to swap out a module to change our systems from CUE to Android. Beats me, just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,810 Posts
Very few car companies build for upgrades when it comes to the electronics. In short, the technology GM used for CUE when it appeared in 2013 was already outdated at its introduction. Hardware engineers can't hope to keep up with the pace of software developers. As car owners if we go chasing after the latest and greatest electronics, we will almost always be disappointed in a short time span. Newness gives way to obsolescence. I imagine there will be plenty of 2013 XTS's on the roads in fifteen years, but by then the original CUE will be a novelty, much like my XLR touch-sensitive screen interface is today. In its defense, it gets the job done.

The processor in the newer CUE system is rated faster, probably in response to criticism that the response time of the system was inadequate. Unlike a PC in which the software developers follow a path or family of processors, which still offer backwards compatibility as the processors increase speed, (up to a point) the automobile industry is still learning to walk as far as CPU-driven, GUI operator interfaces go. Standardization is weak at the moment.

Advertising a system with the flexibility of adapting future upgrades is alluring to today's consumers used to free OS upgrades with a dizzying array of ever-expanding app selections to add functionality to their devices.

GM has an embarrassing situation on its hands if they choose to implement new firmware into newer hardware at the expense of an established customer base. They opened themselves up to consumer fury by implying regular upgrades and more apps would be forthcoming in their sales brochures. Patches to improve functionality have been offered, but this is nothing more than bug squashing. What guarantees the new CUE system won't get the same vaporware support as previous incarnations? Based on past performance, I have little reason to believe otherwise. How does GM respond to it's disappointing CUE support track record towards established customers? With silence. Maybe they feel silence is better than outright lies though. It's a PR fail in any case.

Another thing: The mobile device app market is driven by entrepeneurs given access to a (mostly) open system architecture. If GM opened up the guts of CUE, how long do you think their liability insurance would last? Milliseconds. It would be insane. There would be some cool apps, but there would also be networked hacking to contend with, especially when mobile Wi-Fi becomes more standardized, and some knucklehead decides to enable the brakes on your vehicle. At night. . . in the rain. . . on your birthday.

That being said, I do think GM has an obligation to ensure a software architecture path with legacy upgrades exists to last the duration of the current generation build. (Five to six years.) I can see faster, better, cheaper hardware being implemented, but after three years? -In the case of CUE, this is a shame, especially after implying the system was ripe for added functionality over time.

The best owners can hope for is a system design that allows for upgrades through kits, even if they're wicked expensive. For many Cadillac owners, the technology is as much a lure as the styling and performance.

Just my .02. I could be wrong. . . .

CC

·
Registered
Cadillac
954 Posts
I also met with the CUE Executive team back in 2014

They told me CUE would be expandable for newer features.

Never happened.

So, I sympathize with all of you and I, too, will not be considering a Cadillac for my next lease.

And, yes, I do pick my vehicles mostly based on the tech.

·
Registered
Cadillac technician
669 Posts
Well...
There is a difference in saying CUE will be upgrade able and saying the MOST data network which it operates on will be upgrade able .
Currently it is the fastest network on GM vehicles.

·
Registered
2013 SRX Luxury/AWD
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

What does this video mean? The technology is already in ALL CUE SYSTEMS. No one should have to pay anyone other than Cadillac to unlock this feature. I would gladly pay Cadillac to have them allow me access to something that the CUE system already has built into it. How about it Cadillac... Care to do something for the customers you claim to care about?

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,672 Posts
CUE is far more than an infotainment system. It is an integral part of the safe operation of the vehicle. The recent flood of recalls is a result of increased focus on safety and avoidance of liability.

Just today, NHTSA announced a recall of 2014 and 2015 Chevrolet Spark and Sonic cars because of a radio software lockup. Here is the test from the notice:

SUMMARY:
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2014-2015 Chevrolet Spark vehicles manufactured April 30, 2014, to May 20, 2015, and 2015 Chevrolet Sonic vehicles manufactured June 18, 2014, to June 10, 2015. In the affected vehicles, equipped with the base radio and OnStar, the radio may lock up due to a software issue, causing the display to go blank and all audio functions to cease. Because of this, there may be no warning chimes such as the reminder to buckle the seat belt and the key being left in ignition when the driver goes to exit the vehicle. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 208 "Occupant Crash Protection", and 114 "Theft Protection."
CONSEQUENCE:
Without audible indicators, the driver may leave the key in the ignition, increasing the risk of theft. If a driver or front passenger does not buckle their seat belt, there would be no chime to remind them to fasten their seat belts. If a driver or passenger does not buckle their seat belt there is an increased risk that they will be injured in a crash.
REMEDY:
GM will notify owners, and dealers will update the radio software, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020. GM's number for this recall is 15504.

The advertising being quoted by disgruntled owners is prior to the intensified sensitivity to recall of products, especially at GM.

·
Registered
Cadillac
954 Posts
Keeping my promise, I am finally leaving the Cadillac brand mostly because of the CUE system

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/741281-my-thoughts-finally-leaving-cadillac-mainly.html#post14619785

I was very unhappy with the system from its start in 2013. Did not work with my Android phone. I had CUE executives come to my dealership to talk with me. I give them credit for trying very hard to appease me as a customer. However, many of the upgrades they promised would happen, never did for those of us that owned the initial system.

Once I got an Apple phone, compatibility was much better, but still not at all compatible with my classic iPod.

Very sad to see this post about the CUE team lying about their update plans and the total lack of a CUE representative here even attempting to defend those accusations.

As the link above confirms, I am moving on to the Lincoln brand. Funny thing is, it doesn't offer an infotainment system as refined as CUE. However, unlike CUE, it does not dump the phone's contact data and playlists from its memory every time you exit the vehicle and then reload it again upon entering (which takes time to do).

CUE had a lot of promise when it premiered in 2013. Unfortunately, the team tried to fix things that were not broke -- mainly the way the system stores information. They also neglected to keep original owners updated over the years with the latest software offerings despite their claim that the system was "upgradeable."

GM should dump CUE altogether. However, it seems like it's a solidified part of their future. With the introduction of APPLE PLAY it looks as if things could get much better, but alas, it is not part of their 2016 SRX offering, so there was no temptation for me to stick with the brand.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
I don't blame you, sorry it was a game changer. Paying that much and having such a system is not ok.... Personally I think GM integrated CUE too much into the car and Changing it became a huge problem. A stand alone infotainment system is really th e only way to go as it would allow a complete upgrade easily and they would have not run into these issues. With GM switching to AndroiAuto and Carplay options for new models I can see a turn in their philosophy and hope it continues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 2013 Cue system is soooooooooo aggravating and frustrating every time I drive (my wife's) car it will prevent me from buying any GM car. Even the almighty Microsoft is updating their terrible Win 8.1 with no-charge Win 10. If GM would make any effort to update and correct parts of this lousy system my thinking would have changed. I probably have two more 50K+ purchases in my lifetime, shame on them for such short sighted thinking. Their attitude is "screw you and now so is mine!

·
Registered
ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance
100 Posts
GymHigh said:
The 2013 Cue system is soooooooooo aggravating and frustrating every time I drive (my wife's) car it will prevent me from buying any GM car. Even the almighty Microsoft is updating their terrible Win 8.1 with no-charge Win 10. If GM would make any effort to update and correct parts of this lousy system my thinking would have changed. I probably have two more 50K+ purchases in my lifetime, shame on them for such short sighted thinking. Their attitude is "screw you and now so is mine!
I hear your pain!! Though, there was another update last year that took forever to get on my car as an update but now when I press Navigation, instead of taking a minute or more just to load the map, it loads in 30 seconds or less. It's pathetic compared to the fast loading of my friends Tesla but that car was twice the cost. Still, Nav load times are slow. Other load times are significantly faster.

Maybe you're overdue for that update.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts