Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 04 Platinum with two tone gray/charcol interior. The vehicle is actually for my wife. Bought the car mid week last week. 20k miles looks new, interior still has that new car smell! This thing is awesome, the wife made a comment to one of her friends that she's hardly been able to drive it.:D

As a matter of fact I am seriously considering trading my C5 of a V! Thats saying alot, I am a dedicated corvette owner.

I do have a question, how does the car ride with 20's? A local dealer has one on the lot with 20's, looks great. I plan to change the wheels ASAP, any comments on ride quality changes woould be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
:welcome: to our Forum:yup: :bouncy: :D

To keep the rolling diameter the same you need to drop down to about a 245x35x20". This isn't much sidewall height and little flexing. Sure it's gonna ride rougher. I don't know what your tolerance for ride quality is. I went as far as 245x45x18" and I'm happy. The ride is a bit harsher but still a Cadillac ride. We've got several guys with 20" most of which are young dudes with strong kidneys but their happy.
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
Joined
·
2,449 Posts
Could also depend on where you live. If you live down south, your wife may be able to handle it, as it's harsh, but not TOO harsh. IMHO, going with 19's and also going slightly bigger on the tire size, would give you ride quality close to 18's and looks close to 20's.
 

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
AznPrydeRegalRyde said:
Could also depend on where you live. If you live down south, your wife may be able to handle it, as it's harsh, but not TOO harsh. IMHO, going with 19's and also going slightly bigger on the tire size, would give you ride quality close to 18's and looks close to 20's.
A good compromise Regal:yup:
 

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS, 2008 Cadillac CTS
Joined
·
733 Posts
02SILVERC5 said:
I do have a question, how does the car ride with 20's? A local dealer has one on the lot with 20's, looks great. I plan to change the wheels ASAP, any comments on ride quality changes woould be appreciated.
I lowered mine 1.25" and have 20's. The ride is fine. Just got back from Reno and it was a nice run. It is all in what you expect or want from your car. The ride is stiffer than stock, but handles better. I don't float as much.:welcome:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
hey 02SILVERC5, how much did you pay for the 04 w/ 20k, if you dont mind me asking. what options did it have? im just trying to see what a car like that goes for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,306 Posts
onephatguy said:
I lowered mine 1.25" and have 20's. The ride is fine. Just got back from Reno and it was a nice run. It is all in what you expect or want from your car. The ride is stiffer than stock, but handles better. I don't float as much.:welcome:
:yeah:and that too
haute_heir said:
I never regret going with 20's on my Caddy. I was going to get 18's but saw how hot some of the other guys cars were that had 20's, so I decided to go big! The ride is a bit harsher, but you become acustomed to it, now with my factory wheels back on for winter, the car feels a little too soft and sloshy IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CTS V6 3.6 said:
hey 02SILVERC5, how much did you pay for the 04 w/ 20k, if you dont mind me asking. what options did it have? im just trying to see what a car like that goes for.
$26K out the door.....I am use to a "sport" ride, my C5 has been dropped 1.5" with 18's all around. Can be jar'ing at times, I want to keep the "Cadillac" ride on the CTS, I like the 19" setup idea......Thanks for the comments!:cheers:
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
Joined
·
2,449 Posts
RobertCTS said:
:welcome: to our Forum:yup: :bouncy: :D

To keep the rolling diameter the same you need to drop down to about a 245x35x20". This isn't much sidewall height and little flexing. Sure it's gonna ride rougher. I don't know what your tolerance for ride quality is. I went as far as 245x45x18" and I'm happy. The ride is a bit harsher but still a Cadillac ride. We've got several guys with 20" most of which are young dudes with strong kidneys but their happy.
Kidneys! My BACK can't take 20's. MAybe it's our roads, i dunno. I find long drives on the 17's to be tiresome. I can only imagine how tired my back would be after riding 200miles on 20's. That being said, I think a good set of 20's looks the best.
 

·
Registered
2008 CTS
Joined
·
12 Posts
I am also the proud new owner of a 2003 black CTS with 17,000 kms on it. It sparkles like new and like your post still has that new car smell. I love driving it. I don't think I will ever go back to anything less again! I compared the new CTS and the new car price to this one and couldn't pass it up. It was $20,000 less than the identical new car.
I did have one question though. What are the top five things that could possibly go wrong with this car? I have heard that the V6 motor could have some problems and I don't want to get caught not knowing about it.
I love it! I love it! I love it!
 

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
she's the captain said:
I am also the proud new owner of a 2003 black CTS with 17,000 kms on it. It sparkles like new and like your post still has that new car smell. I love driving it. I don't think I will ever go back to anything less again! I compared the new CTS and the new car price to this one and couldn't pass it up. It was $20,000 less than the identical new car.
I did have one question though. What are the top five things that could possibly go wrong with this car? I have heard that the V6 motor could have some problems and I don't want to get caught not knowing about it.
I love it! I love it! I love it!
:welcome: to the Forum :bouncy: :D :yup:

I'm surprized how many Canadians we have on the Forum! You Canucks really have good taste! Very low mileage too. Enjoy your ride and enjoy the Forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
she's the captain said:
I am also the proud new owner of a 2003 black CTS with 17,000 kms on it. It sparkles like new and like your post still has that new car smell. I love driving it. I don't think I will ever go back to anything less again! I compared the new CTS and the new car price to this one and couldn't pass it up. It was $20,000 less than the identical new car.
I did have one question though. What are the top five things that could possibly go wrong with this car? I have heard that the V6 motor could have some problems and I don't want to get caught not knowing about it.
I love it! I love it! I love it!
Cool, another Ontarioian! Whereabouts in Ontario?
 

·
Registered
2008 CTS
Joined
·
12 Posts
Thank you for the confidence you display in this car. I would not have purchased it if I didn't feel the same about it. My only problem is I am a woman and I don't trust dealerships and the mechanics in them. So my question is just to make myself aware of any potential problems. I have a very good boat mechanic and now need one for this car!
 

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
Joined
·
22,415 Posts
she's the captain said:
Thank you for the confidence you display in this car. I would not have purchased it if I didn't feel the same about it. My only problem is I am a woman and I don't trust dealerships and the mechanics in them. So my question is just to make myself aware of any potential problems. I have a very good boat mechanic and now need one for this car!
I get your user name connection Captain. We have another member who sails off the coast of Virginia and sails competitively. Look for the user name Odysseus.

I had a battery go belly up and a steering sensor go bad. There has been a recall on airbags. All repaired under warranty. If you have a problem this is a good place to get answers!:thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top