Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have use 4 flat screens at work and got so used to it, now I am cramped with just one.

Since my home computer is in need of being replaced I was gonna buy a desktop with two 19 inch flat panels.

Any suggestions or advice?

I was gonna go with Dell......good luck with them in the past.

Should I wait till year end for more sales? (I think Dell's fiscal ends Jan30)

VGA (analog) monitors vs DVI (digital monitors)......Windows Home or Pro?

So many things to consider...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
terrible one said:
I used to run one with dual 17's, but I build my own. Not a big fan of Dell.
Good thing you can do that.....I've never built one.
I'm guessing its not terribly difficult _especially after all the work I did on my Northstar :)

Why dislike Dell?

HP/Compaq any better? (my buddy works there so I can get a discount)

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mccombie_5 said:
My office has six 19" flatpanels running from the same unit, We use all Dell.
Damned! Thats alot off of one computer!?! I've never seen a video car with more than two plugs.

So do all six act like one bigscreen monitor? (like you can hit the expand icon and this web page will expand to fill all six?)

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
I would have told you to get a Dell, but mine has given me some problems (that I later found out were widespread). My harddrive and Dell Optical Mouse both failed, the mouse was only a $25 replacement, but the hard drive was much more expensive. They use some cheap parts, and sometimes they fail.

If you're getting a windows system, go with Alienware or Sony. But if I were you, I'd get an iMac with Mac OS X Tiger. We just got one at school (I'm on newspaper staff) and those things are phenomenal. It really is true what they say about how Apples are better than windows. The only thing I don't like (it just takes some getting used to) is the one button mouse, but other than that, its great. No need for virus protection, no worrying about system lock ups or the blue screen of death. I'd definately look into one if I were you. It really depends what you want it for though...

If you play games on your computer, go with the Alienware. If NEED a windows computer, there's nothing wrong with dells, but Sonys are better (and more expensive). But make sure you look into those Apple computers. My next one will definately be either an Alienware or an Apple...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ben72227 said:
I would have told you to get a Dell, but mine has given me some problems (that I later found out were widespread). My harddrive and Dell Optical Mouse both failed, the mouse was only a $25 replacement, but the hard drive was much more expensive. They use some cheap parts, and sometimes they fail.

If you're getting a windows system, go with Alienware or Sony. But if I were you, I'd get an iMac with Mac OS X Tiger. We just got one at school (I'm on newspaper staff) and those things are phenomenal. It really is true what they say about how Apples are better than windows. The only thing I don't like (it just takes some getting used to) is the one button mouse, but other than that, its great. No need for virus protection, no worrying about system lock ups or the blue screen of death. I'd definately look into one if I were you. It really depends what you want it for though...

If you play games on your computer, go with the Alienware. If NEED a windows computer, there's nothing wrong with dells, but Sonys are better (and more expensive). But make sure you look into those Apple computers. My next one will definately be either an Alienware or an Apple...

I love those iMacs they are slick! Combined with wireless mouse and keyboard, its a work of art. the thing I dont like is that the monitor can computer are melded in away that later obn you can't just buy a new CPU and use the iMac as a passive monitor.

Sony's are cool looking but I have heard bad things about em......eitherway too expensive! (my dad has a Sony TR-3 superlight tiny thing, literally lighter than most books)

I've seen Alien's ads....they remind me of civics with neon and huge wings....

I'm not even sure if I should get a desktop....I have been buying notebook after notebook and thinking about switching back (mainly for the dual monitor bizness) + I want to use it for work, which is very graphics and computationally intensive. Also, I am not allowed to conect to the firms network using wirless-anything. So even if its a laptop, I'll have to hard wire it hence losing the mobility.

....decisions

PS I just saw on Cosco that they sell Dells much cheaper than Dell! (even if you pay the 45$ membership fee, its a pretty good deal)

·
5,826 Posts
If you go Dell, just get the 3 year warranty. It's good piece of mind for the price. I would go with dual 19" flat panels, DVI. I would recommend XP Professional, and at least 1 gig of RAM.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
You could always get a powermac, but they are really expensive...or a Mac mini:thumbsup:

Alienware's are a bit colorful, but they do make the best windows computers that money can buy. As you may have noticed, Dell is trying to compete with them by having the XPS series of Dells, but Alienwares are so beyond Dell its a joke. They are THE cutting edge in windows computers, all of the major gamers use them. They offer AMD processors too, which (as of my knowledge) Dell doesn't...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
slk230mb said:
If you go Dell, just get the 3 year warranty. It's good piece of mind for the price. I would go with dual 19" flat panels, DVI. I would recommend XP Professional, and at least 1 gig of RAM.
you're reading my mind.

For some reason (terminal server token?) company network wont work unless its windows pro.

Gotta have minimum 1 Gig RAM (probably better closer to 4 Gigs like my office machine...but I will buy those later and chepaer somewhere else)

Why the warranty though? (My current Dell, I paid top dollar for 3 year and never called em once)

Also, I am not seeing many machines with DUAL DVI ports. Theyre usually one DVI one VGA, and Dell says you can buy a 12 dollar converter that takes the DVI and converts to VGA so you can run dual VGA (I want dual DVI!)
Are they hard to find? Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
ben72227 said:

I dont look upon Dell as a home use computer you see, my computers are for work. My older son has an Apple Power Mac G5 Quad (i think, dont quote me on that, it could be wrong) and he says its great for a mixture of home and work (hes a student), my wife has a Samsung P40 notebook, and my two younger kids (16&15) have a Samsung X1 notebook between them.

Samsung is very good as far as my family are concerned.

My notebook is a DELL XPS M170 and it does the job brilliantly

·
5,826 Posts
powerglide said:
you're reading my mind.
For some reason (terminal server token?) company network wont work unless its windows pro.
Gotta have minimum 1 Gig RAM (probably better closer to 4 Gigs like my office machine...but I will buy those later and chepaer somewhere else)
Why the warranty though? (My current Dell, I paid top dollar for 3 year and never called em once)
Also, I am not seeing many machines with DUAL DVI ports. Theyre usually one DVI one VGA, and Dell says you can buy a 12 dollar converter that takes the DVI and converts to VGA so you can run dual VGA (I want dual DVI!)
Are they hard to find? Or am I missing something?
At work we use all Dell, and if I ever buy Dell again I'll getting the warranty. (I'm way more likely to build my own again.) I've seen too many harddrives/cd-roms/floppy failures. There are some dual dvi cards out there, but they aren't that popular yet. XP Home lacks many of the networking components/protocols that domain access requires. BTW, what are you doing that you need 4 gigs of RAM?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jon said:
I've been running dual 20" Dell LCDs for a couple years, I love'm. Go Dell.
Whats your system set up?

Do you have two digital 20's (DVI)?

Did you have to get special adapter or graphics card?

mmmmmmmm dual 20's thats what I really wanted (dell was selling their 20.5 inch wide screens for 400 bucks for a while there but no longer as I can see)

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
slk230mb said:
At work we use all Dell, and if I ever buy Dell again I'll getting the warranty. (I'm way more likely to build my own again.) I've seen too many harddrives/cd-roms/floppy failures. There are some dual dvi cards out there, but they aren't that popular yet. XP Home lacks many of the networking components/protocols that domain access requires. BTW, what are you doing that you need 4 gigs of RAM?
We do aerospace engineering simulations. Lots of numerical computations and then some heavy duty graphical pre/post processing. even with all this computer muscle, some of my jobs take days to come back with results.

·
5,826 Posts
powerglide said:
We do aerospace engineering simulations. Lots of numerical computations and then some heavy duty graphical pre/post processing. even with all this computer muscle, some of my jobs take days to come back with results.
Understandable then.

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
I dislike Dell because besides they crappy base model computers, it's a rip-off. I put my system on their website and the price was over $5k and I built it for under 2k.
Alienware is even worse.

Just my two cents

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
About this Discussion
80 Replies
13 Participants
terrible one